Jump to content
Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Barnsley FA Cup


little whitt
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Site Supporter
44 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

It's starting to feel like Evatt plays five at the back because at heart he doesn't trust our defenders. Maybe we've been compensating for a lack of quality at the back by playing five there. It was working because we conceded so few but it was at the expense of our attacking play. Perversely - considering our comparative lack of goals this year - perhaps we need to sign better defenders in January.

Anyway - another match goes by with no first half goal. Another game in which we fall behind and shove all our subs on in a scramble to get ourselves back in the game. Deja vu really. 

We need to keep developing and January will be interesting in terms of what route we go down. 

The problem IE and the board have is that Bolton fans are always going to be impatient with third tier football. Where we've come from and the brush with extinction tempers that... but it's still there and that sentiment will incrementally grow. Rightly so too - any third tier BWFC set up should be straining at the leash for Championship football. Phil Neal would recognise this exact mix of emotions and thoughts at Bolton Wanderers. 

Can’t disagree. Thought for a few weeks Jones and Santos have probably gone as far as they can with us. Too many goals seem to involve (or lack of) them.

Jones I felt looked more comfortable at full back in the 2nd half. 
 

Trafford is starting to look a bit jittery behind the defence. I don’t think we have major problems. 1 good, solid, no nonsense centre half would sort it. Surely there must be a few knocking around

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Arrested development said:

Usually this time of the year. 

What I was trying to say is that we've had years on our arse, we are still trying to climb out of that and we're a decent league one side. I think the Championship is a good few years off yet and personally I'm happy with the progression overall as a club.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Four Four Fucking Two.

It was to be the cure for all our ills... until it wasn't. As sloppy a first half as I've seen under Evatt. Granted there were flashes up top, but my God, we were soft defensively. 

Got a lot better second half, reverting to the formation and setup the players have played all season. But then, the game was pretty much lost as Barnsley just had to sit in, and they did it well. 4 at the back was an experiment which, given it was a cup game, was certainly worth the gamble for IE. Just didn't pay off this time. 

Seems there are a few managerial moaners on here, and in the stands. Fuck me, shall we sack it all off and have a merry go round of pub league cloggers like Adkins, Appleton, Coleman, Adams in charge? 

As an aside, Bod was excellent and deserved his goal. Its a shite cliche, but he really does have a "great first touch for a big lad". Just wish he'd show it consistently enough to make the starting spot his own. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, paulhanley said:

It's starting to feel like Evatt plays five at the back because at heart he doesn't trust our defenders. Maybe we've been compensating for a lack of quality at the back by playing five there. It was working because we conceded so few but it was at the expense of our attacking play. Perversely - considering our comparative lack of goals this year - perhaps we need to sign better defenders in January.

Anyway - another match goes by with no first half goal. Another game in which we fall behind and shove all our subs on in a scramble to get ourselves back in the game. Deja vu really. 

We need to keep developing and January will be interesting in terms of what route we go down. 

The problem IE and the board have is that Bolton fans are always going to be impatient with third tier football. Where we've come from and the brush with extinction tempers that... but it's still there and that sentiment will incrementally grow. Rightly so too - any third tier BWFC set up should be straining at the leash for Championship football. Phil Neal would recognise this exact mix of emotions and thoughts at Bolton Wanderers. 

Said a bit of this last week, our defenders have been brought in as much for their comfort on the ball than them being out and out defenders who put everything on the line to keep goals out. They need the protection of two screening players and a couple of them are a bit short of form and confidence. When they had the protection of the MJ / Tommo combo, we restricted sides to very few efforts / chances. 

For me, just to stop the recent rot and grind out a couple of settling results, we may need to go back to MJ / Tommo but with a change to a more robust pairing up front that makes the ball stick better and bothers opposing defenders a bit more. 

Big decision in Jan for Evatt is whether to sacrifice a bit of the passing game at the back in favour of one or two less sophisticated but more solid back men. 

The young lad Beck looked all right when he came on, solid and tidy, lovely cross field ball to Jones for our goal.

I feel for Charles by the way, he's not brilliant by any means but isn't being helped by the way we play. He makes loads of good runs in games but we want too many touches and don't get it through quick enough. He also needs a more physical partner. When he scored 20 goals for Accrington they must have played a certain way that suited him. Evatt needs to look at how we get the best out of the lad, rather than keep asking him to soldier on as he has been for weeks

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, ianofcleveleys said:

Said a bit of this last week, our defenders have been brought in as much for their comfort on the ball than them being out and out defenders who put everything on the line to keep goals out. They need the protection of two screening players and a couple of them are a bit short of form and confidence. When they had the protection of the MJ / Tommo combo, we restricted sides to very few efforts / chances. 

For me, just to stop the recent rot and grind out a couple of settling results, we may need to go back to MJ / Tommo but with a change to a more robust pairing up front that makes the ball stick better and bothers opposing defenders a bit more. 

Big decision in Jan for Evatt is whether to sacrifice a bit of the passing game at the back in favour of one or two less sophisticated but more solid back men. 

The young lad Beck looked all right when he came on, solid and tidy, lovely cross field ball to Jones for our goal.

I feel for Charles by the way, he's not brilliant by any means but isn't being helped by the way we play. He makes loads of good runs in games but we want too many touches and don't get it through quick enough. He also needs a more physical partner. When he scored 20 goals for Accrington they must have played a certain way that suited him. Evatt needs to look at how we get the best out of the lad, rather than keep asking him to soldier on as he has been for weeks

 

Colby Bishop who went to Pompey was next to Charles - a target man type so you are correct

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, TM Trotter said:

Four Four Fucking Two.

It was to be the cure for all our ills... until it wasn't. As sloppy a first half as I've seen under Evatt. Granted there were flashes up top, but my God, we were soft defensively. 

Got a lot better second half, reverting to the formation and setup the players have played all season. But then, the game was pretty much lost as Barnsley just had to sit in, and they did it well. 4 at the back was an experiment which, given it was a cup game, was certainly worth the gamble for IE. Just didn't pay off this time. 

Seems there are a few managerial moaners on here, and in the stands. Fuck me, shall we sack it all off and have a merry go round of pub league cloggers like Adkins, Appleton, Coleman, Adams in charge? 

As an aside, Bod was excellent and deserved his goal. Its a shite cliche, but he really does have a "great first touch for a big lad". Just wish he'd show it consistently enough to make the starting spot his own. 

We didn't play 4-4-2 at any stage.

It's not simply a matter of which formation we play but I think Sadlier's delivery from wide high up the pitch is a real asset. Who knows, but with a bit of height up front we might well have gone in at half time at least level, if not a goal to the good.

I thought we did very little for the first half hour of the second half before the typical scramble forward that's worked so well for us in the last 10/15 minutes, no matter which formation we play.

Anyway, the silver lining is that with only 5,999 on it takes far less time to get to the pub at FT.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Settled down after some jerk chicken and rice n peys. Home made. 

Just meh about today, we did well in patches, not so well in others. Disappointed with the crowd turn out, was expecting more. 

Today just confirmed to me, and I say it every week, I'd like a team where Dempsey and JDB are the first two on the teamsheet. 

Edited by auckland_bwfc
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

We didn't play 4-4-2 at any stage.

It's not simply a matter of which formation we play but I think Sadlier's delivery from wide high up the pitch is a real asset. Who knows, but with a bit of height up front we might well have gone in at half time at least level, if not a goal to the good.

I thought we did very little for the first half hour of the second half before the typical scramble forward that's worked so well for us in the last 10/15 minutes, no matter which formation we play.

Anyway, the silver lining is that with only 5,999 on it takes far less time to get to the pub at FT.

He was woeful today… don’t expect him to be here after January. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, auckland_bwfc said:

Dempsey and JDB are the first two on the teamsheet. 

Those are the 2 who come out with most credit as game changers today.

The problem the last month, is every time you pick the game changers next game, they haven’t performed! 

But I agree, I’ll be looking for those 2 in the Cambridge selection next week.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

I thought he was our main attacking threat in the first half  and if someone gets on the end of his deliveries in it's a different story.

First half 3 times off side looking across the line, when he beat the trap in acres passed it to a red shirt. Not good enough when trying to force yourself into the starting 11. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Mounts Kipper said:

First half 3 times off side looking across the line, when he beat the trap in acres passed it to a red shirt. Not good enough when trying to force ourself into the starting 11. 

Once or twice.

He also put in a quality of delivery no one else in our sqaud can match.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

First half 3 times off side looking across the line, when he beat the trap in acres passed it to a red shirt. Not good enough when trying to force ourself into the starting 11. 

I thought he put a couple of decent balls in first half but yes, the offsides were annoying (Barnsley v disciplined at holding that line). 4-3-3 can work if the two wide men in the front three are disciplined enough to turn it into 4-5-1 when we lose the ball. Neither him or Dapo were any help at all in that regard, exposing Iredale and Bradley. 

Dapo showed me up today, I'd been banging on elsewhere about how he should be back in a front 2 or 3, he was today and was absolutely rank. I'll keep my gob shut

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, ianofcleveleys said:

I thought he put a couple of decent balls in first half but yes, the offsides were annoying (Barnsley v disciplined at holding that line). 4-3-3 can work if the two wide men in the front three are disciplined enough to turn it into 4-5-1 when we lose the ball. Neither him or Dapo were any help at all in that regard, exposing Iredale and Bradley. 

Dapo showed me up today, I'd been banging on elsewhere about how he should be back in a front 2 or 3, he was today and was absolutely rank. I'll keep my gob shut

Aye Dapo was no better today. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, gonzo said:

I just dont get the big panic.

Its like you're not allowed to say your not quite happy with the way its currently going but trust the manager to sort without being called a happy clapper.

The dicks who appear on here only after defeats to act like hysterical attention seeking fannies aside, I think even the most pessimistic fan can realise we generally get it sorted.

We are absolutely nowhere near a relegation scrap. Nor are we near mid table mediocrity, yes a cup run would've been nice but so be it.

As a club we are in very good nick, pushing in the higher echelons of the league with a young manager who hasnt failed to rectify a single bad run in his managerial history.

It just isnt clicking at the minute and hes probably trying to hard to find the solution.

If you dont think he can sort it and we are destined for implosion then crack on, but if you only appear after defeats and peddle the same bullshit on BN comments section then you deserve all the stick you get.

Leave the discussion and debate to the grown up you sad bunch of cunts.

Well said lad 👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, gonzo said:

I just dont get the big panic.

Its like you're not allowed to say your not quite happy with the way its currently going but trust the manager to sort without being called a happy clapper.

The dicks who appear on here only after defeats to act like hysterical attention seeking fannies aside, I think even the most pessimistic fan can realise we generally get it sorted.

We are absolutely nowhere near a relegation scrap. Nor are we near mid table mediocrity, yes a cup run would've been nice but so be it.

As a club we are in very good nick, pushing in the higher echelons of the league with a young manager who hasnt failed to rectify a single bad run in his managerial history.

It just isnt clicking at the minute and hes probably trying to hard to find the solution.

If you dont think he can sort it and we are destined for implosion then crack on, but if you only appear after defeats and peddle the same bullshit on BN comments section then you deserve all the stick you get.

Leave the discussion and debate to the grown up you sad bunch of cunts.

👍👍👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Its like you're not allowed to say your not quite happy with the way its currently going but trust the manager to sort without being called a happy clapper.

Great post 👏

Best bit being the above.

Nobody who is a season ticket holder, turns out for cup games and travels away from home is happy with our results (although we have won a couple playing poorly!)/performances this last month.

But Christ almighty if you’re going to criticise at least offer some perspective. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

We didn't play 4-4-2 at any stage.

It's not simply a matter of which formation we play but I think Sadlier's delivery from wide high up the pitch is a real asset. Who knows, but with a bit of height up front we might well have gone in at half time at least level, if not a goal to the good.

I thought we did very little for the first half hour of the second half before the typical scramble forward that's worked so well for us in the last 10/15 minutes, no matter which formation we play.

Anyway, the silver lining is that with only 5,999 on it takes far less time to get to the pub at FT.

Ah bollocks, you're right. I was recalling four at the back and forgot that 433 was an actual thing 🙃

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, gonzo said:

I just dont get the big panic.

Its like you're not allowed to say your not quite happy with the way its currently going but trust the manager to sort without being called a happy clapper.

The dicks who appear on here only after defeats to act like hysterical attention seeking fannies aside, I think even the most pessimistic fan can realise we generally get it sorted.

We are absolutely nowhere near a relegation scrap. Nor are we near mid table mediocrity, yes a cup run would've been nice but so be it.

As a club we are in very good nick, pushing in the higher echelons of the league with a young manager who hasnt failed to rectify a single bad run in his managerial history.

It just isnt clicking at the minute and hes probably trying to hard to find the solution.

If you dont think he can sort it and we are destined for implosion then crack on, but if you only appear after defeats and peddle the same bullshit on BN comments section then you deserve all the stick you get.

Leave the discussion and debate to the grown up you sad bunch of cunts.

Gonzo, you are one of the better posters on here, but seriously go into the pubs in Bolton and talk to the lads from the 80's, 90's & early 00's who do a lot of the better aways and most (not all), don't rate Evatt, and these are loyal BWFC fans over many years.

Are these the sad bunch and who are the grown ups, just the ones who back Evatt ? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Black Sheep said:

Gonzo, you are one of the better posters on here, but seriously go into the pubs in Bolton and talk to the lads from the 80's, 90's & early 00's who do a lot of the better aways and most (not all), don't rate Evatt, and these are loyal BWFC fans over many years.

Are these the sad bunch and who are the grown ups, just the ones who back Evatt ? 

Not at all. Like I just said above. If that's your opinion then fine, theres absolutely nothing wrong with that. There will be an equal amount that back him then a few who are somewhere in the middle. 

That's the whole idea of this place, varied opinions, discussion and debate.

If the lads you talk about only ever bowled in the pub after defeat and called everyone that disagreed with them happy clappers and were nowhere to be seen after wins then yeah Id call them a sad cunt too. In the same way Id be sad cunt if I dissappeared off here after evert defeat then only waded in waving my cock about after a victory.

To me this is just a dip in form. If you think its more than that then cool. Debate away and we will see come May.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Black Sheep said:

who are the grown ups

The ones who offer a bit of perspective. The ones who offer an opinion win lose or draw. The ones who give praise and criticism in equal measure. And as Gonzo said accept that folk can be unhappy with the way its currently going but trust the manager to sort without being called a happy clapper.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter

It's been a bit grim of late but I'm convinced we have a strong enough squad to push for the play offs, it's just a matter of IE hitting on the right balance / formula......but that has to include Dapo in his best position & playing to Charles's strengths or we just won't score enough goals to get us there. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • The topic was unpinned

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.