Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

My First Ever Game.

leigh white

• Members

I don't want to be reminded of mine. We were relegated from the First Division with grown men openly weeping all around me.

Could have put me off football for life - my old man was visibly upset.

Instead, I thought that anything that could move men to such an extent must be fucking fantastic. So it has proved.

Kind of stuff your Dad should remember. Not much chance of that with mine

Always thought it was Shrewsbury at home late 80s but on checking it we played them 84 and 90. Fuck knows.

First proper memory is being on pitch when we beat Bury in semi final. That can be my first :D

My dad took me to a few reserve games first, presumably to stop me meithering him and see if I was really interested. Whoever it was against, I only know Hugh Curran scored.

Coventry in the League Cup is the first I remember. 1975 or 76. Pissed it down and we lost 1-3

9 hours ago, bolty58 said:

I don't want to be reminded of mine. We were relegated from the First Division with grown men openly weeping all around me.

Could have put me off football for life - my old man was visibly upset.

Instead, I thought that anything that could move men to such an extent must be fucking fantastic. So it has proved.

I think this May of been my grandads last game. Never went back after relegation from Division 1

It would have been the season we won the third division and it would have been a night match, can't remember who we played or the result but what sticks in my mind is how brilliantly White the shirts looked under the floodlights and how f***ing ugly and scruffy some of the people on the Embankment were.

Absolutely no idea. An older lad in my street got free tickets through his work and passed them on to me, I think I was towards the end of primary school. Can remember I used to catch the bus to the Haugh, stop at my Grandparents house and then wander over by myself. Likely around 84. Sat on the fence eating a cream egg. Living the dream.

30th October 1976, 2-1 v Fulham.  Lever End, on the corner where it met the Burnden Paddock.  George Best scored for them but main memory was Peter Mellor in Fulham goal who I recognised from the 1975 cup final, and the way the ball shone under the fantastic floodlights when it was kicked from the keeper's hands.  Allardyce headed the winner at Embankment end, it looked miles away!

Bolton 0-2 Villa 10/02/96

2:26 here

Day before my 7th birthday. Hated every second of it. My next game was the solitary home loss in the league against Ipswich in 96/97, which I also didn’t enjoy.

My dad bought me a season ticket for the first season at the Reebok and I didn’t look back.