Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

My First Ever Game.

leigh white

As28 January 1967

BWFC 1 Crewe 0

Franny Lee ( pen )

I was 9 years old,  stood on the embankment with my dad, grandad and some of their mates . I shouted all the way through the match " come on Bolton" , I don't think I shut up , I was that excited . 

Bizzare thing is I caught the bus from Bradshaw to trinity Street on my own and waited outside the Queen's cinema for my dad and grandad to finish drinking in the trotters on Bradshaw Gate .

Even more surreal moment , when my grandad died and my dad lost interest , I used to go on my own , millwall at burden was my first " solo" game . Last home game of 1968 I was 10 years old .

By the time I'd made some mates at secondary school , I went  with them . 

50 odd years service and we've never won anything !! 

Edited by Nottm_Wanderer
Added a bit more info

Spent all my early years abroad.  Came to Bolton in Summer of 68.  Dad from Atherton and mum was from Carlisle and we had relatives down for the game/Boxing Day.  We all stood together on the Embankment.  I was hooked despite the defeat.  Only time my dad came with me.  I went on my own/with mates thereafter.

Bolton Wanderers v Carlisle United, 26 December 1968

Score 1-0 to Carlisle United
Competition League Division Two 
Venue Burnden Park, Bolton

14 minutes ago, desperado said:

That was mine! 👏

Keegan mania. 3-1 to us. I thought we were brilliant, little did I know what was to follow the rest of the decade! 

Aye, think my Dad only took my brother and I so we could see Keegan.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Whitestar said:

When i first started going we seemed to always be playing Fulham, did we get them in cup competitions too around the mid 70s??

That John Lacy sticks in my mind too, very tall lad similar style to Paul Jones.

There was the famous trilogy with Bobby Moore getting sent off at Burnden. 

• Site Supporter
On 05/11/2022 at 07:15, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

1st I can remember is Eddie Hopkinsons testimonial, 1st league game Villa in Div 3 (72ish?), massive away following, both were enthralling for a young lad. 

Villa was a year earlier than I remembered, should have clicked as I was at the famous Garry Jones game a month later!! 

• Moderators
On 05/11/2022 at 07:15, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

1st I can remember is Eddie Hopkinsons testimonial, 1st league game Villa in Div 3 (72ish?), massive away following, both were enthralling for a young lad. 

Same season villa had 48 thou on v bournemouth

20 hours ago, desperado said:

That was mine! 👏

Keegan mania. 3-1 to us. I thought we were brilliant, little did I know what was to follow the rest of the decade! 

Attendance was 17,738, if I'm not mistaken we never got anywhere near that crowd again in the 80s.  2nd home game v Wolves was 9,264, next 3 homes, best crowd was 5,804!  You just don't get that fluctuation any more with all seater grounds and the volume of STs sold.