Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

My First Ever Game.

leigh white

On 06/11/2022 at 12:46, ianofcleveleys said:

1970-71 season, home to Sheffield United, won 2-1, think Paul Fletcher scored one or both goals. Not much more joy afterwards that season, relegation beckoned but the next few years were a great watch for a young lad

My first match was the very same season - was 8 years old -  a few months earlier in August against Queens Park Rangers - a 2-2 draw followed up by my first away match -  3 days later at Hillsborough  

The Sheffield United match for me was one of the few memories i have from what was with hindsight a truly awful season  -I dont recall Paul Fletcher but i do remember Ian Seddon scoring a screamer from 30 yards and the fact it was on Granada  TV - - and so were we the following afternoon down by the corner flag waving at the cameras - though I have never seen footage in recent times . 

It was also Jimmy Meadows first game in charge but it turned out to be a false dawn - it was our last win that season - on january 16th. 

One other memory of that season and would love to know if anyone else recalls this was of the game against Hull City when pre match a lad from Hull went onto the pitch from the embankment end and stood on the halfway line until a lad from the Lever End ran on and to the amusement of the crowd the two of them had a brawl in the centre circle . 

3 hours ago, Benny The Ball said:

My first match was the very same season - was 8 years old -  a few months earlier in August against Queens Park Rangers - a 2-2 draw followed up by my first away match -  3 days later at Hillsborough  

The Sheffield United match for me was one of the few memories i have from what was with hindsight a truly awful season  -I dont recall Paul Fletcher but i do remember Ian Seddon scoring a screamer from 30 yards and the fact it was on Granada  TV - - and so were we the following afternoon down by the corner flag waving at the cameras - though I have never seen footage in recent times . 

It was also Jimmy Meadows first game in charge but it turned out to be a false dawn - it was our last win that season - on january 16th. 

One other memory of that season and would love to know if anyone else recalls this was of the game against Hull City when pre match a lad from Hull went onto the pitch from the embankment end and stood on the halfway line until a lad from the Lever End ran on and to the amusement of the crowd the two of them had a brawl in the centre  circle .

Aye, i should think it was the same game.......I was one of the kids who went on the Lever End early & Hull fans also came in early, so we waited for Bolton's mob to turn up but the police had shut the turnstiles. Then Bolton appeared on the Embankment & charged across the pitch, one or two Hull fans ran on (probably thinking the rest were behind them 😊 ) & got flattened, & the Hull fans were then chased out of the Lever End. Happy days.

• Site Supporter

My first match was against Crystal Palace when they had John Jackson in goal, must have been late 60's I reckon. The Lever End spent most of the game singing 'who's the goalie with the big fat arse , Jackson, Jackson.'

I think it was one apiece but I can't be sure.

15 hours ago, Horwich said:

This belter for me 0-1 defeat.

Sat in Burnden stand.

Players came onto the pitch and booted balls into the crowd. Was gutted I was so far away.

32423B9F-4F5C-4392-AD33-C7ABD1A10B2F.jpeg

I don't recall the kicking the balls into the crowd thing, but McGovern was very much one for trying to connect with the fans (those that remained, about 3k for many games).  He was the one that started the players walking to the centre circle before every game that season, and taking the acclaim of the crowd!  Like Don Revie's Leeds, and Man U in the 70s.  Can't recall when this charade stopped but it lasted at least a year.

Times you touched the ball..

Brum at home in that 3-3 with about 10k on. Lowest ever for a league game I think. Always mix the and QPR up around the same time.

Wigan at Home in cup which was incidentally my lads first proper game. Ball got booted out of play straight from kick off and I headed the fucker. Lad thought it happened every week :D

Two ball touches in 30 odd years. Crap really.

8 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Brum at home in that 3-3 with about 10k on. Lowest ever for a league game I think. Always mix the and QPR up around the same time.

Wigan at Home in cup which was incidentally my lads first proper game. Ball got booted out of play straight from kick off and I headed the fucker. Lad thought it happened every week :D

Crewe (A) April '91, night game.

Tony Philliskirk had been promised a family trip to Florida by the chairman (Hargreaves?) if he scored 25 goals (or maybe 20) that season and he hit the landmark in that game. About 5 mins after getting the goal he need the ball came into the away end and I shoved it inside my coat.

Traded it with TP the following week for a signed shirt and signed ball. 

• Moderators
40 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Better than me 

Don't think I ever have 

• Site Supporter

Ironically this has recently happened to me 2 weeks on the trot! (and I can’t recall it ever happening before)

Barnsley at home when in directors box it was heading straight into my dads face, travelling pretty fast and made a decent catch in front of him. Then week after at Accrington just after we’d gone 2-3 up, I was stood by the boards after the celebration when the ball came over, I caught it, Iredale winked, put his hand up to say keep hold of it, don’t rush, while he found a towel and helped with a bit of shithousery! 

Bolton 3-1 Bristol City AET in the league cup, 1996.

I didn't really have a team cos our household was all cricket and rugby, mate from school invited me down to stand in the terrace and I loved it, remember getting the bus up on the Saturday after against Oldham, this time uninvited....and been hooked since ...

Loved Burden park even if it was only for a season, the smell that stuck to your shirt after the game as never been replicated, it was like a cigs and lobby combo

Never touched the ball, can't even recall any close calls, been hit in the head with many inflatables in crazy corner.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Biggish Dave said:

Just the once I think for me - Exeter away, Andy Walker’s debut. Not many of us on the terrace.

I was there. Speeding ticket on the way.🙄

Edited by Steejay

• Site Supporter
22 minutes ago, auckland_bwfc said:

Bolton 3-1 Bristol City AET in the league cup, 1996.

Loved Burden park even if it was only for a season, the smell that stuck to your shirt after the game as never been replicated, it was like a cigs and lobby combo

Shame that. I’m sure Eau de Burnden would fly off the shelves at Christmas time.

What girl could resist a man with a splash of stale piss around his face?