Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Cambridge

Ani

It's so frustrating ATM. Started a month or so ago when we seemed to lose the ability to pass. Evatt changed it and then we got bullied. He changed it again and then we went more direct but couldn't get shots OT. Seems like we lost all the good stuff from when we were pressing hard but not scoring and now we're just not scoring regardless of what we do  full stop.

Looks like we're adrift with no idea of how to turn it around.

I still cannot believe that I got to turnstile and realised I'd lost my ticket, then just as my arse was going a bloke happened to overhear me and gave me a spare he had... then it turned out he lives about 5 mins from me in Notts.

I'll call him Monday when I'm not in the middle of hungover despair and thank him. Life saver.

2 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

I still cannot believe that I got to turnstile and realised I'd lost my ticket, then just as my arse was going a bloke happened to overhear me and gave me a spare he had... then it turned out he lives about 5 mins from me in Notts.

I'll call him Monday when I'm not in the middle of hungover despair and thank him. Life saver.

He might drive

winner winner😀

11 hours ago, Take Hunt Off said:

We have the best defensive record in the league surprisingly, anyway you start with 0-0 & get better.

Hopefully.

Pompey only got a point at Morecambe today , don’t think they’ll be too disappointed.

Charlton got a point at Burton 

Plymouth got a point at Lincoln

Peterborough got beat at Exeter

Cheltenham got a point at Ipswich

All below par 

Its not just us.

Fair points.  And a draw definitely feels better than a 1-0 defeat.  But Sheff Wed, Derby, Wycombe and Barnsley all won away, above par.  Those that dropped points need to be not dropping more next week.  FWIW I don't think Charlton will be troubling the play offs, and I don't think we'll be catching any of the current top 3 so I'm less concerned about their results, we're currently competing with teams between 4th and 10th, but that can change of course.

3 hours ago, radcliffe white said:

Wouldn’t be surprised if we Dixon in net soon

Looks like Trafford was struggling with an injury 

Trafford as gone down a few times now last few games think it was the burton game we had a scare with him so definitely playing with some strain .

Makes it more odd that we don’t have Dixon on the bench hopefully Evatt will think he as pushed is luck a bit to far and put a keeper on there for fleetwood 

46 minutes ago, Farnywhite said:

Trafford as gone down a few times now last few games think it was the burton game we had a scare with him so definitely playing with some strain .

Makes it more odd that we don’t have Dixon on the bench hopefully Evatt will think he as pushed is luck a bit to far and put a keeper on there for fleetwood 

I'm sure I heard he's been doing extra training at City

1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Fair points.  And a draw definitely feels better than a 1-0 defeat.  But Sheff Wed, Derby, Wycombe and Barnsley all won away, above par.  Those that dropped points need to be not dropping more next week.  FWIW I don't think Charlton will be troubling the play offs, and I don't think we'll be catching any of the current top 3 so I'm less concerned about their results, we're currently competing with teams between 4th and 10th, but that can change of course.

It’s getting tight now few week ago we had some breathing space

if any hopes of play offs then yesterday was a very disappointing result against a poor side, fleetwood will be a tougher test than Cambridge imo

4 hours ago, radcliffe white said:

Wouldn’t be surprised if we Dixon in net soon

Looks like Trafford was struggling with an injury 

i said that to my daughter after he went down in the 1st half, his left thigh was strapped up, but then he made them saves in the 2nd half, just goes to show how good a keeper he is.

as fir yesterday i think were just missing a bit of a spark to fire us,and now confidence, 0-0 away should be a good result but cambridge were fuckin awful. santos and jones need a rest for me, charles needs aspell on the sides, kachunga does ok when hes not playing for fouls but offers us about as much a goal threat as trafford does.

these aimless long balls upfront to our strikers is never going to work, dont understand our reluctance to shot but we keep passing it out wide to try get behind them,when we do its either a shite delivery or cleared

iam still evatt in,but sometimes he needs to have a look at himself and his comments

23 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Last time we scored first from open play in the first 80 minutes was Morecambe, 15 games ago.  Yes 2 pens scored as well, and we did come back v Charlton in the 1st half, but we can't deny that the pattern is that the starting XI is not good enough to open teams up and take the game by the scruff of the neck.

Good job games last much longer than 80 mins and that goals scored after 80 still count the same as one in the first minute.

19 hours ago, gonzo said:

Anything turning today mate? Or was it good support?

Superb backing again, even after the final whistle.

• Site Supporter

While we all want to go up, we'd do well to remember we are one of a number of clubs who belong at a higher level historically.

A few will have spent more than us too. We'd get relegated if we went up with this team.

We are simply not ready yet. Could we get up? Absolutely. No good if we're getting pumped though

2 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

While we all want to go up, we'd do well to remember we are one of a number of clubs who belong at a higher level historically.

A few will have spent more than us too. We'd get relegated if we went up with this team.

We are simply not ready yet. Could we get up? Absolutely. No good if we're getting pumped though

Good post this, as was the case in the summer we do need 2 or 3 championship standard / experienced players to improve the team enough to get promoted, the only championship standard players we have IMO are Trafford & Bradley who are not ours. However I appreciate that bringing these championship level players in would cost money (possibly in wages not fees) and I honestly don't know if FV have that level of finance.

Mounts mentioned Ashley Barnes earlier, we have no chance of bringing in someone of his quality or ability however 2 or 3 championship standard players with his type of mentality & shithousery would improve this team significantly and also bring on / improve the younger players with potential. 

28 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Come on dave it’s not that simple

yes the current squad would get pumped and we’d have to use the loan market and get freebies but it’s not impossible

we need to strike while the feel good factor is about, we go up it goes hand in hand revenue etc

It took Sunderland 6 years to get out of L1 if that was us our numbers would drop year on year 

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

Come on dave it’s not that simple

yes the current squad would get pumped and we’d have to use the loan market and get freebies but it’s not impossible

we need to strike while the feel good factor is about, we go up it goes hand in hand revenue etc

It took Sunderland 6 years to get out of L1 if that was us our numbers would drop year on year 

While I do agree, I honestly thought last January's window would have us ready this season.

I've said for a while, if we can ship about 5 or 6 out in January but use their wages to sign 2 or 3 quality championship class players, we might well have enough to be ready.

Evatt is trying too hard to keep his squad happy enough until January. We can't carry on with this chopping and changing

1 hour ago, Traf said:

Good job games last much longer than 80 mins and that goals scored after 80 still count the same as one in the first minute.

Superb backing again, even after the final whistle.

To be fair scoring first after the 80th minute has only happened once, Dapo's deflected goal v Peterboro.  The starting XI isn't providing much of a goal threat, for whatever reasons.   Great to have comeback wins v Accy and Burton, but we know coming back from a goal behind isn't our strong point.  We've been great at defending a lead for the last couple of years, but we're rarely 1-0 up recently.

1 hour ago, Biggish Dave said:

Whilst I look at some Champ teams and think they are streets ahead, I also see Rotherham, Blackpool and Sunderland who have fairly bog standard players generally, holding their own.  When you go upto the championship you also get to loan a better standard of player from Prem teams, Wigan are doing OK without even strengthening their less than outstanding team of last year.  Being good enough to finish 6th bottom isn't a massive leap IMO, as long as we'd be happy to struggle in that division for a year or 2.