Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Cambridge

Ani

• Moderators

Seems to me we've got the best defensive record in the league and play pretty much the same defence every game 

We're pretty shite going forward and don't score as much as we need to, and we  play a different midfield and attack every game 

Anyway, it's just a thought 

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, Biggish Dave said:

While we all want to go up, we'd do well to remember we are one of a number of clubs who belong at a higher level historically.

A few will have spent more than us too. We'd get relegated if we went up with this team.

We are simply not ready yet. Could we get up? Absolutely. No good if we're getting pumped though

Same was true when we came up. We strengthened and went again. If or when we get out of this league, we'd improve the squad again.

As it happens I reckon we do have decent squad now, and for me, at the moment, it's not delivering as well as it should. 

2 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Same was true when we came up. We strengthened and went again. If or when we get out of this league, we'd improve the squad again.

As it happens I reckon we do have decent squad now, and for me, at the moment, it's not delivering as well as it should. 

I agree with that, we know what they can do and capable of, they’re just not clicking, it’s just a blip in our season.   

2 hours ago, Biggish Dave said:

While I do agree, I honestly thought last January's window would have us ready this season.

I've said for a while, if we can ship about 5 or 6 out in January but use their wages to sign 2 or 3 quality championship class players, we might well have enough to be ready.

Evatt is trying too hard to keep his squad happy enough until January. We can't carry on with this chopping and changing

Offloading could be the problem

take kachunga would love to see him go however who will take him? One of highest earners his contract will have to run

Sadlier is a decent player he won’t go short of takers 

• Site Supporter
48 minutes ago, Zico said:

Seems to me we've got the best defensive record in the league and play pretty much the same defence every game 

We're pretty shite going forward and don't score as much as we need to, and we  play a different midfield and attack every game 

Anyway, it's just a thought 

Well howdy there internet people, it's Zico again...

3 minutes ago, globaldiver said:

Hasn’t been given a proper go, IMO.

looks a player.

Personally I don’t see it with Sadlier. I understand he hasn’t had a consistent run, but he’s played in about half a dozen different positions now and the only time he looked any good was against Salford. I don’t think he even knows what his best position is, never mind Evatt. 

• Site Supporter
19 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Personally I don’t see it with Sadlier. I understand he hasn’t had a consistent run, but he’s played in about half a dozen different positions now and the only time he looked any good was against Salford. I don’t think he even knows what his best position is, never mind Evatt. 

Maybe it's because he keeps getting played in different positions?.... Just a thought. 

18 minutes ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

Maybe it's because he keeps getting played in different positions?.... Just a thought. 

Quite possibly, but he seemed to have a similar issue at his previous clubs, and he doesn’t really seem to have many stand out attributes that would direct him to a particular position. 

31 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Not sure how you can read his mind!  Same could be said of Dapo - for all we know they know exactly which is their best position, but if the manager is playing a wingback system and there's no position for you it doesn't make any difference.  I think its fair to say if they were filling in their CV, Sadlier and Dapo wouldn't put their position down as wingback.

Re only looking good in 1 or 2 games, that can be said about every single attacking player except Bradley and JDB, the difference is Sadlier is the only player in the squad yet to start a league game, even less than Isgrove and Sheehan.

1 minute ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Not sure how you can read his mind!  Same could be said of Dapo - for all we know they know exactly which is their best position, but if the manager is playing a wingback system and there's no position for you it doesn't make any difference.  I think its fair to say if they were filling in their CV, Sadlier and Dapo wouldn't put their position down as wingback.

Re only looking good in 1 or 2 games, that can be said about every single attacking player except Bradley and JDB, the difference is Sadlier is the only player in the squad yet to start a league game, even less than Isgrove and Sheehan.

As above, he’s played all over the place for previous clubs and never made a position his own, nor does he have any real stand out attributes that would nudge him in any particular direction. Tbf we knew that from day one when he was described as a generic ‘forward’. 

4 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Quite possibly, but he seemed to have a similar issue at his previous clubs, and he doesn’t really seem to have many stand out attributes that would direct him to a particular position. 

I do get that, he's not obviously a central midfielder or obviously a winger, fair point.  But I'd say the same is true of Kachunga and Dapo, difficult to nail down where they should play.  Kacha is definitely not a striker or centre forward but gets played up front most games.

On reflection, quite solid.  2 great saves from traff.

why no sub goalie when you can name 7? Stupid and / or ignorant.

Missed 2 guilt edged chances, jones and Charles.

Too many long balls and so little created by midfield for attackers to run on to. (And I have been crying out for Morley)

good teams win that game.

just frustrating.

if you have seen the Charles stats (us and Ireland) just not good enough.

sadlier plays a fraction of the time and nearly the same.

for me dapo will leave in jan and we will have ballsed up big time.

last 10 games we have been shite and still 7th !

8 hours ago, marple whites said:

On reflection, quite solid.  2 great saves from traff.

why no sub goalie when you can name 7? Stupid and / or ignorant.

Missed 2 guilt edged chances, jones and Charles.

Too many long balls and so little created by midfield for attackers to run on to. (And I have been crying out for Morley)

good teams win that game.

just frustrating.

if you have seen the Charles stats (us and Ireland) just not good enough.

sadlier plays a fraction of the time and nearly the same.

for me dapo will leave in jan and we will have ballsed up big time.

last 10 games we have been shite and still 7th !

Evatt has explained this, the reason is it is very rare keepers get injured and he’d rather have extra outfield player who can effect the game. 

1 hour ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Evatt has explained this, the reason is it is very rare keepers get injured and he’d rather have extra outfield player who can effect the game. 

Absolutely ridiculous fair enough if we had 3 subs like but it’s just pure stupidity 

49 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

But this is what happens

Bad game then dropped next

cant work like that 

Agreed.

Look at Thomason - played a few games in a row and settled into it as confidence grew. But he was benched against Accrington, played against Barnsley, dropped again at the weekend. It’s like the Hokey Kokey.

As for Dempsey, Sheehan, Morley, Dapo, Lee, Sadlier etc - zero chance to get a decent run of games to be able to get into a rhythm. How do you get to know how to play effectively with your teammates if you have different teammates each week? Training drills at Euxton isn’t the same as 90 mins in a league game.

Edited by Jol_BWFC