Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

6 fingered derby

Whitestar

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, tomski said:

Starting to think similar. 

I do think you can find good frees but you have to be good at bringing players in. I’m not sure if we are or not as I have seen this squad be good and bad etc.

I had previously thought a few of these lads could mix it a league above but the latest dip in form is telling me otherwise.

I suspect Sharon is on the case and that isn’t my debate. It’s more how many players would come on the journey with us.

I think Thomason is the one that will go furthest. Right attitude/good passer of the ball. Lots to learn and all that but I think he will.

Agree entirely. It's entirely down to the player and how much he wants it, but I could see someone taking a chance in him higher up. Bit like McAteer coming to us then Liverpool.

Morley, maybe. Time also on his side.

Sheehan should be at his peak now, but I don't think he has adequate defensive aspects to his game.

48 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Agree entirely. It's entirely down to the player and how much he wants it, but I could see someone taking a chance in him higher up. Bit like McAteer coming to us then Liverpool.

Morley, maybe. Time also on his side.

Sheehan should be at his peak now, but I don't think he has adequate defensive aspects to his game.

It's a conversation that puts me in mind of Steve Thompson rather than McAteer. It was obvious from minute one how good McAteer was. With Thompson it took him a good three or four years to mature into the quality product he became. Some develop late or gradually. Thomason and Morley do still have some time.

13 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

It's a conversation that puts me in mind of Steve Thompson rather than McAteer. It was obvious from minute one how good McAteer was. With Thompson it took him a good three or four years to mature into the quality product he became. Some develop late or gradually. Thomason and Morley do still have some time.

Couldn't agree more.  When McAteer made his debut v Rochdale in the FA Cup, the first time he was on the ball I was amazed how composed and talented he was, considering where he'd come from, no doubt we had a player on our hands.  (I thought the same the first minute I saw Mark Davies at Blackburn).  Tomo started playing regularly in Div 3 in 83-84 and the jury was very much out, although he was stuck on the right wing.  A couple of years later in central midfield he was quality, hardly ever wasted a pass and scored/created some fantastic goals. 

• Site Supporter
37 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

My point really was that at marine, mcateer wasn't a first team regular, but showed enough and blossomed higher up with us.

I can see Thomason doing likewise somewhere higher up if we don't go up in the next year or two.