Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Barrow H (Pizza Cup)

L/H White

I’ve changed my mind on this competition. Whereas previously I didn’t want our first team anywhere near it, given that Evatt doesn’t really have a first team beyond the back 5 or 6, I actually think it’s a great chance to give some our strong midfielders and strikers decent game time.

With the likes of Baka, Lee, Thomason, Dapo, Sadlier in there plus Isgrove, Beck, Iredale etc. stepping in, it’s a chance to get them playing and winning. I’d also play Charles to get him a goal, which he can’t buy in the league.

A real chance of getting to the business end of a cup run to Wembley.

Edited by Jol_BWFC

5 minutes ago, Jol_BWFC said:

I’ve changed my mind on this competition. Whereas previously I didn’t want our first team anywhere near it, given that Evatt doesn’t really have a first team beyond the back 5 or 6, I actually think it’s a great chance to give some our strong midfielders and strikers decent game time.

With the likes of Baka, Lee, Thomason, Dapo, Sadlier in there plus Isgrove, Beck, Iredale etc. stepping in, it’s a chance to get them playing and winning. I’d also play Charles to get him a goal, which he can’t buy in the league.

Would I go to Wembley?

I remember the Torquay day out, with thousands, a family atmosphere, our first trip to Wembley for 30 or so years and a great win, featuring a splendid goal.

I doubt I’d be going if we made it this time, but things change.

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Jol_BWFC said:

It’s a great point and and new point now we are out of the FA cup, so not dredging up the whole debate from last time.  

Other than picking up an injury, which is a spurious argument, as there’s a whole host of football and non-related injuries players could pick up during the week, I really struggle to see any negatives from having a long and successful run in this tournament. 

Wins in our previous matches have always been followed with some good results in the league, allowing players more game time, confidence breeding confidence and fingers crossed finding some form and goals for a squad which is lacking both at the minute.

20 minutes ago, globaldiver said:

Would I go to Wembley?

I remember the Torquay day out, with thousands, a family atmosphere, our first trip to Wembley for 30 or so years and a great win, featuring a splendid goal.

I doubt I’d be going if we made it this time, but things change.

Bristol City 3 years previous to Torquay

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, globaldiver said:

Bloody hell, yes. I remember both now! We must have lost to Bristol? (0-3?), so Torquay felt better…? Memories, like the corners of my mind….fading with time

thanks!

An understandable error, and just the brain chucking out unwelcome memories. 

The Brizzle game was the better day out of the 2 apart from the performance & result.

was on a Saturday at 3:00 and their fans were up for it too.

The Torquay game was a Sunday and their fans were well outnumbered and mainly families, felt like we were there to bully them and didn't feel right.

• Site Supporter

My Wembley experiences thus far:

Bristol City L

Torquay didn’t attend

Tranmere L

Watford L

Liverpool L

Reading didn’t attend

Villa L

Stoke L

Have I forgotten any?

My Cardiff record is 100% win though.

I think it’s probably best I stay home.

The main turn off for me (other than kids teams entering) is not about whether winning at Wembley is a good thing or not, its that a maximum of 2 teams out of 46 league get that benefit.  In the FA Cup or League Cup teams don't just enter to win it, they enter to have good matches, good away days or a big crowd at home, a great win somewhere along the way, an experience to be remembered.  Not expecting to get to the final (other than the big 6 etc), everyone loves a "good cup run" which could end in the 5th round at Anfield or whatever.  In this cup, either get to the final - great - or "why did we bother entering that non entity of a cup?".  And we could win 8-0 and nobody outside of Bolton would know we'd even played, I've certainly not seen one result of any team other than us this year, it has zero impact on football fans.  We could get to the semi and still not get a crowd half as big as a league game even at half price.

56 minutes ago, Traf said:

I hope we get to the final for Junior's sake.

Remember 1985 and our first Wembley visit in 27yrs?

It gave a whole new generation of fans their first trip to Wembley. This could be the current yoof's 1985.

Not disagreeing, but for context, in the 80s no BWFC fans under the age of about 35 had seen us at Wembley.  There was a massive novelty factor which everyone got on board with, especially as we were also-rans in the league.  Most fans over the age of 18 have had the chance to see us at Wembley and those over 30 have probably been to half a dozen or more Wembley/Cardiff games. 

• Site Supporter
5 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Most fans over the age of 18 have had the chance to see us at Wembley

But as @Trafwas alluding to, our generation who have the kids 18 or under would go and enjoy it.

They have witnessed some shit over the last decade. I genuinely think I’d get as much pleasure from them enjoying their day out at Wembley - all 3 of mine have never been. Edit - I forgot I dragged the eldest to the Stoke game as a 6 year old, so he definitely needs a good Wembley experience!

Edited by desperado
I forgot Stoke 😩