Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Barrow H (Pizza Cup)

L/H White

• Members
On 15/11/2022 at 00:30, Zico said:

can't decide whether to boycott this or France V Australia

No choice for me.  I have to watch this. The nobheads down here are trotting out shite about 'upsetting favourites is in our DNA' and 'no World Cup holder has ever won the opening group game of the next World Cup finals' etc. Setting themselves up for a fall as they always seem to do. Just watch if they are beaten. You wouldn't be able to find a soul down here who would want to be associated with them in any way.

Hoping for 4-0 to 6-0 with Mbappe taking the piss for the entire 90 minutes. Even the word 'Socceroos' makes me wince. They are weird this lot. What was their team called in the Womens RL World Cup. The 'Jillaroos'. WTF? And what the fuck is an 'Olyroo'. Does my head in why they can't just call themselves Australia but then again, I suppose that we are catching the bug with the Lionesses etc. At least we seem to be using names of things which exist.

On 14/11/2022 at 21:22, Whitestar said:

The Brizzle game was the better day out of the 2 apart from the performance & result.

was on a Saturday at 3:00 and their fans were up for it too.

The Torquay game was a Sunday and their fans were well outnumbered and mainly families, felt like we were there to bully them and didn't feel right.

It was a rum day that, the Bristol lads were up for it as much as our lot were, quite a few incidents throughout the day - the car park after the game was like the wild west.

Torquay was a great day, no bother with any of the Torquay fans they were great & from memory it was quite a warm day and a convincing win topped it all off.

35 minutes ago, fester58 said:

would love to get to the final so miss fester can experience bolton at wembley

Unfortunately for the younger fans I can't see more than 15,000 going a Pizza Cup final, possibly even less than that.

The only final I've missed was the Watford play off final, Reading was great as was Preston In Cardiff. Liverpool & Boro in the league cup finals were good days / weekends out apart from the results.

Edited by Black Sheep

20 minutes ago, Black Sheep said:

Unfortunately for the younger fans I can't see more than 15,000 going a Pizza Cup final, possibly even less than that.

The only final I've missed was the Watford play off final, Reading was great as was Preston In Cardiff. Liverpool & Boro in the league cup finals were good days / weekends out apart from the results.

could see us taking 25000 easily,not been for a long time so alot of the younger generation have never been, 

2 minutes ago, fester58 said:

could see us taking 25000 easily,not been for a long time so alot of the younger generation have never been, 

I admire your enthusiasm, and would really love to see that many go. However, I would be seriously shocked if more than 15,000 went to a Papa John's final at probably £50-£60 a ticket plus travel regardless of the opponent. From memory we probably took 20,000 - 25,000 max to the Torquay final (crowd was 46,000) in 89 - but IMO the Papa Johns trophy is even worse than the Sherpa Van, and back then we hadn't been spoilt by the Allardyce prem years.

1 hour ago, Black Sheep said:

I admire your enthusiasm, and would really love to see that many go. However, I would be seriously shocked if more than 15,000 went to a Papa John's final at probably £50-£60 a ticket plus travel regardless of the opponent. From memory we probably took 20,000 - 25,000 max to the Torquay final (crowd was 46,000) in 89 - but IMO the Papa Johns trophy is even worse than the Sherpa Van, and back then we hadn't been spoilt by the Allardyce prem years.

25k at least, we definitely outnumbered Torquay not surprisingly.  That was about 4 times our average attendance, so I'd expect us to take at least 60k this time!  

Top priced tickets this year were £60 but most were £28 to £48, U21s averaged £20 and U17s all £10.  So ticket prices won't put many off, cost of travel a different matter. 

• Site Supporter

We've had a lot of Wembley trips and sold 25000 generally, but apart from Tranmere and Torquay, the other side have sold more due to various reasons.

The League Cup final in 95 v Liverpool was an exception.  Both teams sold out but only Bolton sold out the Olympic Gallery (the bit under the upper tier roof behind the goal).

• The topic was pinned
On 18/11/2022 at 16:59, Black Sheep said:

It was a rum day that, the Bristol lads were up for it as much as our lot were, quite a few incidents throughout the day - the car park after the game was like the wild west.

Torquay was a great day, no bother with any of the Torquay fans they were great & from memory it was quite a warm day and a convincing win topped it all off.

I didn't see any trouble with Bristol fans. Only issue I saw was some Millwall fans on Wembley Way causing issues , I seem to recall both Bolton and Bristol saw them off . 

Match itself was awful , surreal moment crowd  cheering freight rover vehicles on a lap of honour around the dog track before kick off ... Easily entertained back in the day !!!

7 hours ago, Whitestar said:

Can remember chanting "Bolton & Bristol, it's only Bolton & Bristol" after an apparent bit of arjibarji, it was good banter but apparently moody after the match.

Still a great day though 👍

Our coach from The Hulton Arms was attacked by BC fans.  It was like the Alamo.....

To be fair it was one of our lot that caused it......

21 hours ago, gonzo said:

Before anyone gets giddy about this fixture can we please remember Barrow has a population of 66,086.

That renders the fixture null and void and should not be celebrated in any way if we win.

Goes down in WW legend with the season ticket holder at Huddersfield, Sluffy and Custard, and twixonomics.

22 hours ago, gonzo said:

Before anyone gets giddy about this fixture can we please remember Barrow has a population of 66,086.

That renders the fixture null and void and should not be celebrated in any way if we win.

I have missed the population malarkey.     What was it all about and whis the culprit ?