Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

EFL TROPHY

Horwich

23 hours ago, gonzo said:

Founder members of the Football League.

Scorers of the first ever League goal.

Competed in the first match at Wembley.

4 time FA Cup winners.

A history spent more time in the top flight than not, littered with internationals.

Twice qualified for European football.

...now reduced to playing our nearest neighbours under 23 team.

Its an absolute disgrace and downright piss take to ask any professional football club to play another teams kids in a professional fixture, yet alone a club with a history as rich as ours.

We should properly boycot this. 

If we were playing the “real” united they would only put the kids out anyway. 

See you there 👍

Life too short to say I’m not going ,can’t be bothered, going to Wembley back then when we played Bristol and Torquay were brill days out ,and the making of us to climb the league. If we get there I and all my mates will be there plus the grandkids to look after us ..

3 hours ago, lofthouse said:

Life too short to say I’m not going ,can’t be bothered, going to Wembley back then when we played Bristol and Torquay were brill days out ,and the making of us to climb the league. If we get there I and all my mates will be there plus the grandkids to look after us ..

I can't argue with anyone wanting the good day out at Wembley, but I've heard it said a lot over the years "beating Torquay was the start of our rise up the leagues". Its always puzzled me.  Yes we reached the play offs in the next 2 years but a full 3 years after Torquay we finished 13th in Div 3 and a million miles from promotion.  But apparently if we hadn't won the Sherpa Van in 1989, we wouldn't have gone up under Rioch 4 years later.

• Site Supporter
38 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I can't argue with anyone wanting the good day out at Wembley, but I've heard it said a lot over the years "beating Torquay was the start of our rise up the leagues". Its always puzzled me.  Yes we reached the play offs in the next 2 years but a full 3 years after Torquay we finished 13th in Div 3 and a million miles from promotion.  But apparently if we hadn't won the Sherpa Van in 1989, we wouldn't have gone up under Rioch 4 years later.

I think it’s more to do with the first sign of the good times returning.

From my first game in 82 to that moment in 89, other than the 87 promotion, I really can’t recall many great results and very little affinity with a team togetherness to win something. 

I started to get a relationship with players who I connected with. Ok many of them didn’t go on to be part of Riochs squad - but one or two like Browny did.

The modern comparison would be with the side 2 seasons ago. Players like Doyle, Sarcevic, Crawford, Brockbank, Arthur all played a significant part in our current renaissance winning promotion. They aren’t here now.

If we are to go up in a couple of seasons, why wouldn’t we look back on the 20/21 promotion winning side with the same affection we do the Torquay boys and it being the sign of the good times returning? 

Edited by desperado

5 minutes ago, desperado said:

From my first game in 82 to that moment in 89, other than the 87 promotion, I really can’t recall many great results and very little affinity with a team togetherness to win something. 

I started to get a relationship with players who I connected with. Ok many of them didn’t go on to be part of Riochs squad - but one or two like Browny did.

The modern comparison would be with the side 2 seasons ago. Players like Doyle, Sarcevic, Crawford, Brockbank, Arthur all played a significant part in our current renaissance winning promotion. They aren’t here now.

If we are to go up in a couple of seasons, why wouldn’t we look back on the 20/21 promotion winning side with the same affection we do the Torquay boys and it being the sign of the good times returning? 

Bit trickier with that particular season because we didn’t have the ups and downs of witnessing it all in person and building that relationship with the players etc

21 minutes ago, desperado said:

I agree entirely that we should look on the 20/21 promotion squad with affection and gratitude, but there's a difference between a team that took us up and one that won a cup but failed to get anywhere significant in the league. 

Don't get me wrong, I loved Wembley 89 as much as anyone and look back on it with fond memories.  I just don't see the Torquay game as pivotal, for me pivotal games in recent times were Morecambe away, Crawley away, without which we may be nowhere near where we are both as a club and in league position. 

With or without Wembley 89, assuming we'd still got Rioch and of course Walker, McGinlay etc, we were only going one way but a game 3 or 4 years earlier had no bearing for me.  An enjoyable one off game and if we get to Wembley this time it will be the same in my opinion.  In the last 5 years we've seen Lincoln, Shrewsbury, Salford, Pompey twice, Tranmere and Sutton get to Wembley, its done nothing for their league form but it doesn't detract one bit from their enjoyment of the day and the memories.

As an aside, I definitely had an attachment to a lot of players in our doldrum mid 80s years.  Caldwell, Oghani, Chandler, Thompson, Thomas, Gavin, Hartford provided some memorable moments, we were terrible yes but there always seemed to be a class goal around the corner and it was a shame they weren't part of better Bolton teams.