Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

You don't get me, I'm part of the Union

Underpants

11 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Seriously though, that's all it's about. Solidarity amongst working people. Simple as that.

Got nothing to do with solidarity, pay and working conditions for me. But that does help and it goes with being a member. It had more to do with insurance and back up within my job. It just made sense.

I have always been in the union, I was a Health & Safety rep for 5 years with the POA, it is as much about public liability more than anything, If someone makes a complaint against you you need to have some support in place, the union saved my bacon in 2012 and got me what I was entitled to, for around £15 a month it is worth every penny

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, Underpants said:

Got nothing to do with solidarity, pay and working conditions for me. But that does help and it goes with being a member. It had more to do with insurance and back up within my job. It just made sense.

That's the manifestation of solidarity.

• Members

I am sure Undies that you will be delighted to be contributing to the wages of the likes of Diane Abbott, the Stockport slapper and other sinister types.

We need another Maggie type to smash the unions and stop the ever increasing disruption to the lives of everyday people as a result of their militancy. They are, of course, simply flexing their muscles in preparation for an incoming Labour government who they believe can be manipulated to their will (he who pays the piper and all that).

3 hours ago, bolty58 said:

I am sure Undies that you will be delighted to be contributing to the wages of the likes of Diane Abbott, the Stockport slapper and other sinister types.

We need another Maggie type to smash the unions and stop the ever increasing disruption to the lives of everyday people as a result of their militancy. They are, of course, simply flexing their muscles in preparation for an incoming Labour government who they believe can be manipulated to their will (he who pays the piper and all that).

Can't say I'm happy about it. But it's a necessary evil.

4 hours ago, bolty58 said:

Joining a union purely out of self interest is surely one of the most Thatcherite things a person could do?

• Members
1 hour ago, Underpants said:

Can't say I'm happy about it. But it's a necessary evil.

Happened to me once at a company in Huddersfield. Closed shop - had to be a member to work there and I dearly wanted that companies name on my CV.

One of a few things which turned me off unions. The union reps were the laziest, rabble rousing, worthless cunts I have ever worked with. Did fuck all work and generally dossed around all day and took the piss. Then, every now and again, 'everyone down tools' or 'working to rule' or 'out on the street' for the most miniscule problems.

Lasted two years and that was enough for the CV requirements. First opportunity back across the Pennines and into a non union family type company. Far better in every way - certainly if you were prepared to graft to get greater reward.

Edited by bolty58

• Site Supporter

Been in different unions. Only one rep ever did anything to help and he was often criticised by other members for showing common sense, and explaining that if the member was wrong in their complaint then it was pointless etc. He was the only person I've known who got a work related issue resolved.

On the other hand, I've had a rep turning up for meeting pissed out of his brain, and other loud mouthed, vacuous, bully boy types rabble rousing for their own ends only. Usually a barrel chested individual who deems all management as scum. 

Good idea in principle, but unfortunately often filled with folk who use the position to further their own ends primarily. 

Was in a Union when i left school 1980 till about 85, I'm in a different union now but from between 85- early 00s i wasn't in a Union , however late 80s an incidence cropped up that made me think maybe i should be in a Union, employer had nothing like that and at the time it wasn't really a thing.

This was before any internet or owt, so i thought i wonder how you go about joining a Union.

I wrote a nice letter to the T&G who at the time had an office on Moor lane near the bus station (maybe still do), anyway I'm still waiting for a response over 30 years later 🤔🤔

10 hours ago, bolty58 said:

you can opt out of the political fund

3 hours ago, Sweep said:

Never been in a Union, or even been close to being in one. I don't think I've ever worked anywhere that had any Unions in or around it either

Unite take members from most sectors

few simple questions in here will point you in the right direction

https://www.tuc.org.uk/join-a-union

The benefits of being in a union will depend on the union rep you get.

The council was losing engineers hand over fist to the private sector as the wages were much higher and often for less work. (Even me as a technician was offered a 25% increase to work for Mott MacDonald). So we prepared a case to the chief execs for a market supplement increase in our wages. They decided it was a good idea and gave a 10% increase only to managers upwards. We sent the union rep in to argue for us. He spent more time complaining about the boxes of paper being stored under the coat rack than getting us our money.

When the redundancies were kicking in in 2013/14 the unions were more interested in getting flasks issued to the work men than keeping them in a job.

I'm fully behind the idea of a union but if those running your branch are cunts there's no point.