Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Wanderers v Bristol Rovers

gonzo

11 hours ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

When was the last time we scored in the first half in the league?

The last time we scored from open play in the first half of a league game was Charlton. Seventh game of the season on September 3rd. That's 12 games ago. Never known owt like it.

Teams are also taking so much notice of how we play and are matching our 352 every single game.

We are 5th, but we have scored just 22 goals in 20 matches.

Personally think we are not getting the best out of our most technical players and just simply relying on the full backs.

Get a 4-3-3 going, would love to see us with out and out wingers, Sadlier and Dapo causing major problems out wide.

Trafford 

Bradley, Santos, Johnston, Iredale

Sheehan, Mj, Morley

Dapo, Bodvarsson, Sadlier

15 minutes ago, Lostock Whites said:

Teams are also taking so much notice of how we play and are matching our 352 every single game.

We are 5th, but we have scored just 22 goals in 20 matches.

Personally think we are not getting the best out of our most technical players and just simply relying on the full backs.

Get a 4-3-3 going, would love to see us with out and out wingers, Sadlier and Dapo causing major problems out wide.

Trafford 

Bradley, Santos, Johnston, Iredale

Sheehan, Mj, Morley

Dapo, Bodvarsson, Sadlier

That looks good!

1 minute ago, ZiggyStardust said:

After last night:

Scored first : 6 (W5, D1)

Conceded First : 10 (W4, D1, L5)

No score: 3

Last time we scored 1st : 1st Oct (v Lincoln, W 2-0)

Conceded 1st 7 times since, with a couple of 0-0 thrown in.

Something not right in our team mentality to keep conceding first. Very frustrating when every opposition game plan is try nick a goal and then waste as much time as possible. 

39 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

I reckon it was purely and simply because John is on his way out. It could have happened in August, it probably will in January.

I think you're right, but why not play him if he the better option until that time?

I've seen nothing in Iredale that says he is a much better option than DJ, and Beck certainly isn't on last night's showing.

• Site Supporter
53 minutes ago, Lostock Whites said:

I blame iFollow. Seriously. Saves on sending scouts and managers all over the place to spy on clubs tactics. Tenner a match to see us headless until the last 20minutes. Teams are told to get in early and maybe grab a goal before Bolton are up and about.

There are no surprises any more.

• The topic was unpinned
31 minutes ago, Francis Fogarty said:

I blame iFollow. Seriously. Saves on sending scouts and managers all over the place to spy on clubs tactics. Tenner a match to see us headless until the last 20minutes. Teams are told to get in early and maybe grab a goal before Bolton are up and about.

There are no surprises any more.

I have been saying it for weeks teams have worked us out and we are easy to play against but worryingly IE does not see this or just ignores it ! 

• Site Supporter
12 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

If we’d scored first we would have won the game comfortably.

It would’ve been a bloody early goal! Pretty difficult scoring first when we let them score in 67 seconds.

11 hours ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

Well done, Neil Hart.

^^^this^^^

Neil Hart, if you’re reading this, don’t you think it’s easier to steward or police the crowd when you allow like-minded people to flock together? Instead, your ridiculous attitude to breaking up the main area for creating atmosphere has spread  what YOU consider a cancer all over the rest of the stadium.

1 hour ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Something not right in our team mentality to keep conceding first. Very frustrating when every opposition game plan is try nick a goal and then waste as much time as possible. 

On the flip side, there's something something very right in the team mentality to keep fighting back right until the last whistle.

1 hour ago, Rizlar said:

I have been saying it for weeks teams have worked us out and we are easy to play against but worryingly IE does not see this or just ignores it ! 

What should we do? Change our system every week?

Or just get better at implementing the system we train all week for?

9 minutes ago, gonzo said:

What should we do? Change our system every week?

Get width high up the pitch in the form of our best attacking wide players - Dapo and Sads.

We currently play a formation which relies on the wing-backs to provide the width and our problem currently is that no option we've tried in the left-wing back role has shown they have required ability to do the job (John has previously but seems to have been frozen out). 

The end result is that Bradley is really our only attacking outlet in wide positions and, although he's a good young player with hopefully a bright future, he's not exceptional enough to do it on his own.

It's no wonder we look so slow and predictable until we end up throwing the kitchen sink at it in the last five minutes.

2 hours ago, MickyD said:

Neil Hart, if you’re reading this, don’t you think it’s easier to steward or police the crowd when you allow like-minded people to flock together? Instead, your ridiculous attitude to breaking up the main area for creating atmosphere has spread  what YOU consider a cancer all over the rest of the stadium.

It seems so obvious, doesn't it?

Looked at the Ipswich tweets from last night, their fans making similar comments to our fans, some sheff weds fans also were commenting same, perhaps fans just need to realise players at this level make more mistakes miss more chances and are less consistent than players from a higher level, seasons a long way to go, think we’re looking to spend again January, we need to make allowances, stick with the team and hopefully come May we’re celebrating promotion. 

25 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Is there any sign of this though because for me we are poorer now that we were three months ago.

Evatt said in November they had time on the grass to work on things . What were these things exactly as still can't take corners, still concede early goals, only attacking intent is out wing backs and still not scoring goals. The football on offer is not the high intensity exciting football he espouses IMO, and has been like this for a long time now.

He has tried every permutation of players, yet only one match tried a different shape, then reverted to type.

So for me he needs to find a formation to suit our assets, not modify our assets to fit his, at times pig headed, ideals.

Sick of hearing about we likely to give some on a shoeing one day, or play this scintillating football but 'we not quite there yet'; when will this be Ian? as we are flat lining at best with our progression on the pitch for me regardless of league position currently.

Fingers crossed he has his usual Jan turnaround.

2 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

After Becks display at Fleetwood it was a major surprise to see him start, and another surprise how long he lasted before being subbed. 

I thought he played quite well last night; not that good defensively but neither is DJ and Airedale. He does look a bit lightweight though