Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Wanderers v Bristol Rovers

gonzo

• Site Supporter
14 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I thought Evatt wanted promotion, but if play offs is the aim, fair enough.  In comparison, I don't think Ipswich or Sheff Wed would say its been a good season if they don't go up.  For me whether we finish 6th and lose, or 7th, there's not a huge difference, its OK but slightly underwhelming.  No big deal though, we start again in August, nothing lost and a few things learned about the squad.  At the moment I just want to see us win a couple of home games, its not all about where we finish.

Of course Evatt wants promotion. Unfortunately, there are 23 other clubs in the League who want to win as many games as possible too. If Evatt says "We want to finish top of the League", is every other team just supposed to roll over for us? I don't get your point.

Just saying are we happy to get to the play offs and lose?  Port Vale and Exeter would say yes definitely, that's an amazing achievement.  Ipswich and Sheff Wed would say no definitely not.  Where are we on that scale?  If Evatt said he wants to win the league, that is only a genuine aim if 2nd isn't acceptable, which we know isn't the case.  But I'm not aware Evatt has said he wants to win the league, I'd be amazed if any league one manager has stated they need to finish 1st, they would all take 2nd. Forest Green and Morecambe would take 5th bottom all day long.  I wonder what we'd be happy with?

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Just saying are we happy to get to the play offs and lose?  Port Vale and Exeter would say yes definitely, that's an amazing achievement.  Ipswich and Sheff Wed would say no definitely not.  Where are we on that scale?  If Evatt said he wants to win the league, that is only a genuine aim if 2nd isn't acceptable, which we know isn't the case.  But I'm not aware Evatt has said he wants to win the league, I'd be amazed if any league one manager has stated they need to finish 1st, they would all take 2nd. Forest Green and Morecambe would take 5th bottom all day long.  I wonder what we'd be happy with?

As a scale - I'd say if we finish in the play offs and stay down, while disappointing, I reckon it would be viewed as progress by the club.

That presents pressure though, progress again would mean automatic the following season

• Site Supporter
29 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

No Bolton fan will be "happy" if we get to the play-offs and lose. What the fuck are you talking about? Would you rather us finish 6th or 7th? 

Edited by Cheese

6 hours ago, jeep said:

As well as being a horrible cunt Evatt's a stubborn cunt.....

Kachunga is fucking shite....

I honeslty think hes sticking to the system and will bring in another player for Kachungas role. None of the others fit the bill, bod is clearly not fit and baka is bobbins. Charles needs chances and plays well too deep if Kachunga isnt playing. Dapo wants to be wide or in place of Charles.

I get what hes trying to do. Hes just not been very good at it, there will be someone else in that position come Jan I'm certain of it.

1 hour ago, gonzo said:

I honeslty think hes sticking to the system and will bring in another player for Kachungas role. None of the others fit the bill, bod is clearly not fit and baka is bobbins. Charles needs chances and plays well too deep if Kachunga isnt playing. Dapo wants to be wide or in place of Charles.

I get what hes trying to do. Hes just not been very good at it, there will be someone else in that position come Jan I'm certain of it.

Bit unfair on Baka that

Looked more useful in his sub appearance Friday, but he’s certainly not the answer 

2 hours ago, radcliffe white said:

Bit unfair on Baka that

Looked more useful in his sub appearance Friday, but he’s certainly not the answer 

I thought he was brilliant when he came on, looked sharp, the ball stuck, linked up play well and finished his offside chance really well.

Someone has said it earlier, but we really do seem to have a lot of players that are great off the bench but just can’t hold down a starting spot.

• Moderators
14 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

The aim is promotion 

Whilst a top 6 finish would be considered progress, To not get promoted would be a failure for me 

2 minutes ago, Zico said:

The aim is promotion 

Whilst a top 6 finish would be considered progress, To not get promoted would be a failure for me 

I respectfully disagree with this bit, where we have come from in such a short period of time is remarkable, I see progress year on year, and we will eventually see the fruits of our progression, and will be a much better club for it.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, DomRepWanderer said:

I respectfully disagree with this bit, where we have come from in such a short period of time is remarkable, I see progress year on year, and we will eventually see the fruits of our progression, and will be a much better club for it.

But at what point would it be a failure? 

How many seasons? 

4 minutes ago, Zico said:

But at what point would it be a failure? 

How many seasons? 

That is a question for the future, obviously as a club we can't afford to be knocking about in the lower leagues forever, but look at the likes of Sunderland, Sheffield United, and Wolves for example, they've all gone on to be quite successful after years in the doldrums, just think we need to be patient, it will come.

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Aside from Bakayoko and Kachunga generally not playing in the same role, take Kachunga’s work rate out of the equation and our main goal threat in Charles drops deeper and deeper in searching for the ball and ends up nowhere near where we want him to be. 

That's why Charles hs scored so many alongside Kachunga?

They're too similar for me. Both work hard and run a lot, but Kachunga doesn't have goal threat neither. So the partnership has to be the justification. And that is largely fruitless, irrespective of who scores.

Additionally, we've scored a lot late on, often when Kachunga has left the pitch. Or indeed both have.

• Site Supporter
25 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

Really struggling to figure this kachunga works hard bit?  If he’s not getting flagged offside he goes down like a sack of shit off a nothing challenge. And that trip early doors on the centre half was embarrassing 

He does spend quite a bit of time on the deck. In fairness he has to be running in order to try to buy a foul.

52 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

That's why Charles hs scored so many alongside Kachunga?

They're too similar for me. Both work hard and run a lot, but Kachunga doesn't have goal threat neither. So the partnership has to be the justification. And that is largely fruitless, irrespective of who scores.

Additionally, we've scored a lot late on, often when Kachunga has left the pitch. Or indeed both have.

Not sure Charles can complain for a lack of opportunities tbf. He seems to miss a one on one every other week.