Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Plymouth Home

green genie

21 minutes ago, nantwichwhite said:

The normally immaculate Lee slightly off the boil, Dempsey very good, Morley Superb

Yes, when put through towards the end of the first half a surprisingly poor first touch by Lee prevented a scoring opportunity.I wasn't  overimpressed with Morley either, he had two half chances from the edge of the box and didn't get either on target.Charles was outmuscled by the Plymouth defender when in a race for the goal and i think it was Bakayoko who should have had enough time to hit the back of the net not the post late on.It was an encouraging performance from Bolton but i think to progress, better finishers are required and that will cost money, If it hasn't been pointed out already Bolton have failed to score in the four home matches v the top sides  Barnsley,Sheff Weds, Derby and Plymouth, The football is nice to watch at times but the cutting edge isn't there against the quality at 3rd Div level.

Green Genie's boys weren't impressive although they defended very well.For their keeper not to have a  difficult save to make under all that pressure credit to the defensive organisation of their manager.Derby and Sheffield wednesday clearly have more gifted players but i hope Plymouth nick one of the top two spots.

27 minutes ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

If it hasn't been pointed out already Bolton have failed to score in the four home matches v the top sides  Barnsley,Sheff Weds, Derby and Plymouth.

We haven’t conceded neither in 3 of those 4.

I take your point though and you’ve really got to win your home games against the top teams.

2 hours ago, radcliffe white said:

At times it was crying for someone to drop the shoulder and fucking hit it 

That's the sort of player we just don't have.  Realistically do they exist? (if they have the other qualities that we expect from eg Lee, Morley, Dempsey, Bradley who all showed different qualities today).  But shooting on target from any distance isn't their thing, unlike say Sarcevic or dare I say Sadlier.  IE has chosen to play a certain way and shooting from distance isn't part of the plan.  We don't see the "full package" very often at this level (Tony Kelly or Steve Thompson would come in handy, to pick out 2 players from our Div 3 teams of the past).

1 hour ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

I'd settle for a Philliskirk right now. 

I know he had no pace and no right foot, and not a "battler" but in pure finishing terms from 15-20 yards, including free kicks, he's up there with our best outside Prem.  Could head a few goals a season too, and a great bloke.

6 minutes ago, barrycowdrill said:

Bit of a tale about Today which I think is well worth relaying.. 

my old man’s bday on NYD which was a milestone birthday for him so decided to take him in to the LoV today. A couple of weeks ago off the cuff I decided to email Sharon (or what I assumed was her email address) explaining he was a lifelong ST holder etc etc and anything she could do / any time spent with him would make his day. A couple of weeks went by with nothing. Eventually this week received an email from someone else at the club stating Sharon had received and read the email and to arrange a meet with her this afternoon. 

so took the old man down to reception at 2:30 to meet the girl who emailed me as requested. Took us up to the chairman’s suite and we were stood outside for a while him still unsure as to what the hell was going on. Eventually Sharon comes out and apologises as she “couldn’t get away from sir Alex” and welcomed us both as though she’d known us for years. Bit of a chat ensued and he’s bowled over that she’s made the effort. He then apologises and says we have to make our way back round to the LoV to see the KO. Instantly she says No! “ I’ll find you seats in the exec box with me” shouts her laccy over and pretty much says they’re friends of mine, find them some seats to watch the match in the box. At HT come in to the chairman’s suite and we will have a brew. 

So ended up spending the whole game in her (distant) company, made us feel so welcome. Had more than enough time for us. 

it may have meant nothing to her in the grand scheme of things but will last my old man a lifetime. The woman is absolute class from top to bottom and I can’t imagine our club in better, more thoughtful or considerate hands. 

Absolutely fantastic.

8 minutes ago, barrycowdrill said:

my old man’s bday on NYD which was a milestone birthday for him so decided to take him in to the LoV today. A couple of weeks ago off the cuff I decided to email Sharon (or what I assumed was her email address) explaining he was a lifelong ST holder etc etc and anything she could do / any time spent with him would make his day. A couple of weeks went by with nothing. Eventually this week received an email from someone else at the club stating Sharon had received and read the email and to arrange a meet with her this afternoon. 

so took the old man down to reception at 2:30 to meet the girl who emailed me as requested. Took us up to the chairman’s suite and we were stood outside for a while him still unsure as to what the hell was going on. Eventually Sharon comes out and apologises as she “couldn’t get away from sir Alex” and welcomed us both as though she’d known us for years. Bit of a chat ensued and he’s bowled over that she’s made the effort. He then apologises and says we have to make our way back round to the LoV to see the KO. Instantly she says No! “ I’ll find you seats in the exec box with me” shouts her laccy over and pretty much says they’re friends of mine, find them some seats to watch the match in the box. At HT come in to the chairman’s suite and we will have a brew. 

So ended up spending the whole game in her (distant) company, made us feel so welcome. Had more than enough time for us. 

it may have meant nothing to her in the grand scheme of things but will last my old man a lifetime. The woman is absolute class from top to bottom and I can’t imagine our club in better, more thoughtful or considerate hands. 

Tremendous 👍

Great performance in a real arm wrestle of a game. 0-0 but really enjoyed it. We're looking a really cohesive unit that's prepared to scrap a lot harder than we were to impose our way of playing. Levels today, from front to back, were miles above those we were seeing before Xmas. 

Was sat on Williams side first half, thought he did well, quick to close Mumba down, got forward quickly and tidily. Long throw, with likes of Toal to aim at gives us a new weapon. Bound to tire a bit second half, right time to pull him out, Beck did well in his place.

Back three immense again, organised, committed, brave, aggressive. Toal is an absolute machine but Aimson and Johnson also hitting new levels.

Frustrating not to get that goal but almost satisfying to see them resort to shithousery at the end, they knew they were hanging on

7 minutes ago, barrycowdrill said:

Superb.

Seems a lifetime ago that the sleazeball Anderson was in charge, sullying our good name.

5 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Excellent tale.

She's a class act for sure.

Glad he enjoyed it.

Gosh. A bit of a tear to the eye then.

I'm sure she has her moments & occasional off days but she acts like we'd all like to think we would.

Finding time to be decent is a rare skill. Bless her for it.

11 minutes ago, barrycowdrill said:

Brilliant..glad yas had a good day mate 

PD, does she smell nice?

Edited by L/H White

Plymouth were well organised good At shithousery & might have even nicked it would have been undeserved but there you go.

First half was scrappy & we shaded it , second half we just needed some penalty box composure & the ball to drop for us.Goalkeeper made two really good saves .I thought Beck did really well when he came on .The other two subs less so!
Charles still hasn’t hit form although he had some assistance today from Bod who at least gives us some physicality & excellent work rate.

Would have taken a point before the game but very disappointed afterwards given our performance .

Hoping the lad from Soton has a better work rate than Baka.

Honestly the woman is utter class. The effort she made, to acknowledge us by name and hug him and wish him happy birthday was absolutely priceless. 

actions speak louder then words in my eyes and I know the club has spoken so much about reconnecting with fans and the community etc and it is things just like this that make us believe it is true 

1 hour ago, Deanu said:

Refreshing seeing us hurl long throws into the box for once with Morley waiting on the edge for a second ball to drop to him.

Agreed, the long throws were a pleasant surprise, just need Eaves on the end of them next 😄

And refreshing to leave one up front at corners.  It was great to see Plymouth forced to bring 2 back to cover Charles (then Kachunga).  I'd love to know why that was the right thing to do today, but not in 90% of previous games.

23 minutes ago, barrycowdrill said:

Brilliant story, tbh i wouldn’t expect anything less from our first lady.

Absolute class

Edited by Burndens Bogs

Thought we deserved the points today, good chances for bod and kachunga to win it at the end. We’ve certainly faced tougher teams this season but can see why they are doing well with some standard shit house tactics to see the game out. Loved their Diet Coke Grealish.

Great goal line clearance by our defender. Great commitment.