Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Plymouth Home

green genie

1 hour ago, ErnestTurnip said:

Thought they looked better than most seem to and can see why they're up there challenging.

From that point of view it's an ok point.

Stating the bleeding obvious is that we don't create enough chances for the strikers we have to get goals, none of them are good enough to be getting one or two chances a game and scoring consistently.

Thankfully someone on GMR after the game came up with the solution which is to have McGinlay in once a week so we'll  be fine for the play offs once Evatt gets on iPlayer.

That caller was hilarious.  Get McGinlay in for 2 hours and our striking problems are over, if only IE had thought about coaching the strikers.  Get Per Frandsen in while we're at it and the midfielders will be firing them in from all angles.

25 minutes ago, barrycowdrill said:

Bit of a tale about Today which I think is well worth relaying.. 

my old man’s bday on NYD which was a milestone birthday for him so decided to take him in to the LoV today. A couple of weeks ago off the cuff I decided to email Sharon (or what I assumed was her email address) explaining he was a lifelong ST holder etc etc and anything she could do / any time spent with him would make his day. A couple of weeks went by with nothing. Eventually this week received an email from someone else at the club stating Sharon had received and read the email and to arrange a meet with her this afternoon. 

so took the old man down to reception at 2:30 to meet the girl who emailed me as requested. Took us up to the chairman’s suite and we were stood outside for a while him still unsure as to what the hell was going on. Eventually Sharon comes out and apologises as she “couldn’t get away from sir Alex” and welcomed us both as though she’d known us for years. Bit of a chat ensued and he’s bowled over that she’s made the effort. He then apologises and says we have to make our way back round to the LoV to see the KO. Instantly she says No! “ I’ll find you seats in the exec box with me” shouts her laccy over and pretty much says they’re friends of mine, find them some seats to watch the match in the box. At HT come in to the chairman’s suite and we will have a brew. 

So ended up spending the whole game in her (distant) company, made us feel so welcome. Had more than enough time for us. 

it may have meant nothing to her in the grand scheme of things but will last my old man a lifetime. The woman is absolute class from top to bottom and I can’t imagine our club in better, more thoughtful or considerate hands. 

Absolute class from the club! 

For a 0-0 it was a cracking game, thought we battered them. Pity we couldn't take any of the numerous opportunities.

That back 3 are solid - no way Santos or Jones gets back in - BTW, I'm a fan of both...

Great save on the line from Aimson too!

Good performance from Dempsey, he needed it too...

COYFWM

Evatt out...........

26 minutes ago, barrycowdrill said:

my old man’s bday on NYD which was a milestone birthday for him so decided to take him in to the LoV today. A couple of weeks ago off the cuff I decided to email Sharon (or what I assumed was her email address) explaining he was a lifelong ST holder etc etc and anything she could do / any time spent with him would make his day. A couple of weeks went by with nothing. Eventually this week received an email from someone else at the club stating Sharon had received and read the email and to arrange a meet with her this afternoon. 

so took the old man down to reception at 2:30 to meet the girl who emailed me as requested. Took us up to the chairman’s suite and we were stood outside for a while him still unsure as to what the hell was going on. Eventually Sharon comes out and apologises as she “couldn’t get away from sir Alex” and welcomed us both as though she’d known us for years. Bit of a chat ensued and he’s bowled over that she’s made the effort. He then apologises and says we have to make our way back round to the LoV to see the KO. Instantly she says No! “ I’ll find you seats in the exec box with me” shouts her laccy over and pretty much says they’re friends of mine, find them some seats to watch the match in the box. At HT come in to the chairman’s suite and we will have a brew. 

So ended up spending the whole game in her (distant) company, made us feel so welcome. Had more than enough time for us. 

it may have meant nothing to her in the grand scheme of things but will last my old man a lifetime. The woman is absolute class from top to bottom and I can’t imagine our club in better, more thoughtful or considerate hands. 

Brilliant

Very enjoyable 0-0, & though Plymouth weren't up to much, they've got a good defence & keeper. We've ,at least , matched them twice this season but haven't scored against them which is why they're above us......but they were hanging on today  & happy to get away with a point.

No bad performances, R Williams did alright considering he's probably not match fit & had hardly trained & met with the team, Dempsey & the back 3 v good again.....MOTM Johnston for some great tackles, seeing off their big lump & being good on the ball as well.

1 hour ago, Farnywhite said:

If they dropped down into the play offs after today wouldn’t be worried at Wembley 

That's what I would take from today in particular and recent games generally.  Facing Plymouth or Barnsley or Derby in the play offs is less daunting than it was when we were losing at Shrewsbury or v Oxford, or trailing at home v Bristol Rovers and Burton.  We've improved.  Another game when Trafford was hardly involved with his hands.

• Site Supporter
33 minutes ago, barrycowdrill said:

Absolute class that.  Well done Sharon. An acknowledgement would have no doubt sufficed, but to get directors box treatment is above and beyond.

PS: I'd have got away from Sir fucking Alex but then I'm not as well mannered as Sharon.

44 minutes ago, barrycowdrill said:

That's class and heart warming to read.  Couldn't agree more with your last sentence.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I think you've made your mind up about him, and you won't change your mind no matter what he does.

Tbf hes not the only one

Kachunga was fine and very unlucky not to win it for us

Still read the same old cack

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Tommy9322 said:

Johnstone for me is the most improved player this season especially this past month. the past three games have shown we ain’t far away, just hope ownership takes a risk and provides funds to sign a proven goal scorer. 

While id still get santos in asap, maybe aimson has the edge on directing his 2 young team mates

So much to digest from today! Might be worth a re-watch on ifollow. 

Player ratings

9 - TRAFFORD A couple of risky kicks and I think he got a bit lost on the chance where it was cleared off the line. Otherwise excellent! 

8.5 - TOAL Solid performance, powerful, didn't really put a foot wrong apart from the odd wasted pass. 

9 - AIMSON Just keeps getting better and better. I had question marks about him at times last season but is only young and keeps improving. 

8.5 - JOHNSTON Good performance, covered a lot for Williams too. Could do very well with us for many years. Sometimes wastes the ball with unusual long balls. 

8.5 - BRADLEY One of the best on the pitch for large parts of the game. He pops up everywhere and keeps the ball in play when you least expect it or gets a vital toe in to win possession back just at the right time. Should have got a better shot in when through on goal. 

6 - WILLIAMS Nothing against him but he wasn't up to the standard of the rest of the side. We have heard good things about him and he has no game time under his belt so should be one to watch. Made a couple of mistakes but has a weapon of a throw in! 

9 - DEMPSEY I thought his best performance for Bolton was against Barnsley, but he just topped it! Looks comfortable on the ball, is clever, creative and battles well. Wins a lot in the air. 

7 - LEE A few complaints from some about his performance but I saw him do an awful lot right and is one of the creative types we need in the group. Was off the pace when a glorious chance was well crafted and he failed to shoot.

8 - MORLEY A good performance all round. Seems back to his best and delivers a good corner consistently now. His closest shot was good but wide. 

7 - CHARLES His best match for us in months. Worked hard, stayed on his feet, battled hard and was more productive than usual. Shame he didn't get a couple of shots in, especially when the keeper was way out of his goal.

9 - BODVARSSON Came away with the ball from tight spots all the time, even when it looked like he wouldn't. Pressed well, passed well and looked really useful. He had one very good chance and we all would have liked him to score but no striker scores every chance.

Subs

KACHUNGA - sadly offered nothing that improved the game. Lost the ball at a key moment which almost allowed Plymouth to break and score. Hit the post.

BECK - I wouldn't trust him as a left wing back. Is a little young and naive and can make mistakes or take risks. Real tricky player when he gets into the opposition box though, and was almost the key to us scoring late on.

SHEEHAN  - Evatt has finally realised that Lee and Sheehan are sort of interchangeable.

BAKAYOKO - Still looks like he can be dangerous given the right chances. He gets into the right areas and if we keep attacking like that he could be back amongst the goals.

SHITHOUSERY - That really needs nipping in the bud. They wasted most of the stoppage time to buy a point. One player even lay down in the centre circle when we were about to break and the ref stopped play.

Dapo Afolayen 

Jones

Santos

None were missed. 

I'm not saying we don't want them, just that it's good that we can afford to leave them out. 

The team

Composed and competent. Back to our best in terms of team ethic, passing, movement and desire. 

Edited by Jayjay23

42 minutes ago, barrycowdrill said:

Said before there’s not much between the top 6 or 7 in this league except consistency. 

To be fair to Plymouth, they may not have been great today but they've won 12 out of 13 at home, scoring 25 goals.  They've scored 50% more than us at home and 50% more away.  Overall they have just been better at scoring and have 3 players on 29 goals between them, they fully deserve to be top (none of the 3 started today).

I don't mind that we overplay in front of goal... OK I mind a bit. 

But it shows its all part of our way of playing. And when it comes good, which its well on the way to doing, teams are going to find themselves on the wrong end of a total good hiding. 

Bakayoko, Charles and Bodvarsson are all capable of hitting the net if we keep playing like that.