i said no you daft bastard  ( He had a Manc Acent ) where in manchester 

World has gone mad 

Totally different.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-63810468

Lady SH: Where are you from?

Me: Sistah Space.

SH: No, where do you come from?

Me: We're based in Hackney.

SH: No, what part of Africa are you from?

Me: I don't know, they didn't leave any records.

SH: Well, you must know where you're from, I spent time in France. Where are you from?

Me: Here, the UK.

SH: No, but what nationality are you?

Me: I am born here and am British.

SH: No, but where do you really come from, where do your people come from?

Me: 'My people', lady, what is this?

SH: Oh I can see I am going to have a challenge getting you to say where you're from. When did you first come here?

Me: Lady! I am a British national, my parents came here in the 50s when...

SH: Oh, I knew we'd get there in the end, you're Caribbean!

Me: No lady, I am of African heritage, Caribbean descent and British nationality.

SH: Oh so you're from...

Edited by Cheese

• Site Supporter
41 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Whilst shes not covered herself in glory, the woman she was talking too could have cleared it up straight away but was just being a bit nobbish.

Sistah Space??  Fuck off.

Me: I'm from Hackney, my family are Carribean though.  My parents came in the 50's.

Thats how this conversation should have gone, stop looking to be offended.  I ask people where they are from all the time at work, people are normally proud to explain their roots, and so they should be.

• Site Supporter

I’d bet that old lady had the same conversation with thousands of people down the years of black, white and oriental origins. And I bet 99.9% of the time the other person understood immediately that she was only showing an interest in their heritage.

She wasn’t questioning that she was British, she was asking about origins. And most people are happy and proud to say where their families are from.

Ancestry is a massive thing.

We don’t and will never know the tone of the questions, but after 80 years or whatever of dealing with strangers every day, I know whose side I’m on here.

The Sistah person was just being a cunt for likes on Twitter.

• Site Supporter
34 minutes ago, barryk32 said:

Whilst shes not covered herself in glory, the woman she was talking too could have cleared it up straight away but was just being a bit nobbish.

Sistah Space??  Fuck off.

Me: I'm from Hackney, my family are Carribean though.  My parents came in the 50's.

Thats how this conversation should have gone, stop looking to be offended.  I ask people where they are from all the time at work, people are normally proud to explain their roots, and so they should be.

Sistah Space is the name of her Domestic Abuse Charity, and they were at a Domestic Abuse event.

So if you asked a Black person where they were from, and they said "Manchester", you'd ask them "No, where are you REALLY from?"

Edited by Cheese

• Site Supporter
11 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Sistah Space is the name of her Domestic Abuse Charity, and they were at a Domestic Abuse event.

So if you asked a Black person where they were from, and they said "Manchester", you'd ask them "No, where are you REALLY from?"

It’s all about context, as ever.

Im not saying this royal worker has done well here, but my assumption is that she’s spent her whole life asking people - politely and with genuine interest - what their heritage or cultural background is. I’d guess further to that, that she does this so she can pass this info onto members of the royal family then they can talk to these guests and not drop any bollocks.

If she’d screamed in her face that she was a golliwog I’d be less supportive, but the situation this occurred in must be taken into account.

• Site Supporter
19 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Would I fuck because I'm not an idiot.

If there was an accent etc that wasn't Mancunian though I'd weigh up the situation.

99% of the time I'd ask about the accent, if the person I'm talking to was coming accross as a bellend though then I'd leave it at that and walk away

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Well she resigned, and the Royal Family have condemned the incident, so there's your context.

They could see instantly what the Twitter mob had lined up.

Like I say, she’s not done very well, but she’s not suddenly decided to be a racist after 70+ years of unblemished service.

If she turns up on some white supremacy websites, I will of course change my mind.

But nah, this is a storm in a fancy China teacup. 

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Spider said:

They could see instantly what the Twitter mob had lined up.

Like I say, she’s not done very well, but she’s not suddenly decided to be a racist after 70+ years of unblemished service.

If she turns up on some white supremacy websites, I will of course change my mind.

But nah, this is a storm in a fancy China teacup. 

You don't have to be a White Supremacist to be racist...

49 minutes ago, Spider said:

It’s all about context, as ever.

Im not saying this royal worker has done well here, but my assumption is that she’s spent her whole life asking people - politely and with genuine interest - what their heritage or cultural background is. I’d guess further to that, that she does this so she can pass this info onto members of the royal family then they can talk to these guests and not drop any bollocks.

If she’d screamed in her face that she was a golliwog I’d be less supportive, but the situation this occurred in must be taken into account.

Fair play to the “victim” for remembering the full conversation word for word 

2 hours ago, Cheese said:

Totally different.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-63810468

SH: Well, you must know where you're from, I spent time in France. Where are you from?

Me: Here, the UK.

SH: No, but what nationality are you?

Me: I am born here and am British.

SH: No, but where do you really come from, where do your people come from?

Me: 'My people', lady, what is this?

SH: Oh I can see I am going to have a challenge getting you to say where you're from. When did you first come here?

Me: Lady! I am a British national, my parents came here in the 50s when...

SH: Oh, I knew we'd get there in the end, you're Caribbean!

Me: No lady, I am of African heritage, Caribbean descent and British nationality.

SH: Oh so you're from...

Can see the confusion at the beginning but it was heading down a road that today's outraged society would love to magnify.