Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Royal Race Row

little whitt

• Members
44 minutes ago, globaldiver said:

Shunted way down the BBC News page

No surprise. That's the nearest they can do to save face and yet still beat a retreat.

As is their way these days, bought into it big time and went out on a limb like utter dicks. A bit like one or two on here but let's not name names eh? They know who they are.

31 minutes ago, bolty58 said:

No surprise. That's the nearest they can do to save face and yet still beat a retreat.

As is their way these days, bought into it big time and went out on a limb like utter dicks. A bit like one or two on here but let's not name names eh? They know who they are.

Whatever happened to Miami?

My good Deed for the day 

was working in Hadfield Rd this morning 

and a Black  Family Were lost looking for Oxford Grove (there is some International family center there )

so i Took them round there following the car  ( Didn't Even Put Them In Chains )

Little Whitt  Friend to All

As someone who is really interested in other people's heritage I often struggle with how to ask this question. I usually just flounder around for a bit until they get the idea. 

Asking someone what their ancestry is seems a bit weird. As does asking someone where their families roots are from.

I'm not sure why it should be such a sensitive question to ask? I end up just sounding very awkward and feeling like I'm Hitler or something inwardly for having the temerity to be interested. 

31 minutes ago, kent_white said:

As someone who is really interested in other people's heritage I often struggle with how to ask this question. I usually just flounder around for a bit until they get the idea. 

Asking someone what their ancestry is seems a bit weird. As does asking someone where their families roots are from.

I'm not sure why it should be such a sensitive question to ask? I end up just sounding very awkward and feeling like I'm Hitler or something inwardly for having the temerity to be interested. 

Well said

Edited by globaldiver

• Members
1 hour ago, kent_white said:

Great post. I often ask taxi drivers down here - "If you don't mine me asking..." Never had an adverse reply and once I have the answer it is usually me following up with "Oh, great footballing country, do you remember ............. scoring that goal against ........... at the ...... World Cup?" or similar. Usually makes for good conversation (sometimes great conversation)  all the way home.

Just interested as you say but, thanks to fuckwits who constantly seek something to complicate life or be outraged about, we now have to feel like criminals for being perfectly civil. Fuck off, I am not playing that game.

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, kent_white said:

Have a bukkake of applause from me

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, kent_white said:

I just straight out ask people.

If they want to be offended... let them.. 

Nothing offensive about making polite conversation and taking an interest., 

Quite surprising how many people are from Slovakia.

• Site Supporter
21 minutes ago, only1swanny said:

I just straight out ask people.

If they want to be offended... let them.. 

Nothing offensive about making polite conversation and taking an interest., 

Quite surprising how many people are from Slovakia.

About 5 1/2 million at last count.

Random.

On 01/12/2022 at 16:45, Not in Crawley said:

Here you go - just an excerpt - have a read, see what you think, as personally I think this thread has proven her premise almost exactly. Theres also an interview on the website which discusses the topic more fully.

But, as I say, up to you - I'm not here to change your mind, just offering a different perspective.

http://renieddolodge.co.uk/why-im-no-longer-talking-to-white-people-about-race/

I have read it, and whilst I do think it raises some thought provoking issues it uses race as the premise  rather than looking more deeply at societal inequalities which drive these issues. Race of course does play a part and in some cases dominates, however the book is very much written from a more polarised position which, for me, weakened some of arguments which were made and will outright turn a lot of folk of this completely.

But I still think people should read such material, as agree or not you should see in more detail the opposing view, rather than just the headline.

8 hours ago, CambridgeBWFC said:

I have read it, and whilst I do think it raises some thought provoking issues it uses race as the premise  rather than looking more deeply at societal inequalities which drive these issues. Race of course does play a part and in some cases dominates, however the book is very much written from a more polarised position which, for me, weakened some of arguments which were made and will outright turn a lot of folk of this completely.

But I still think people should read such material, as agree or not you should see in more detail the opposing view, rather than just the headline.

Of course it raises race as as a premise. Sorry, I don't agree with your contention at all, and I think you back up the position again.

It's amazing to me how many white men find it difficult to understand that maybe they need to listen more, and understand their position in society.

57 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Of course it raises race as as a premise. Sorry, I don't agree with your contention at all, and I think you back up the position again.

It's amazing to me how many white men find it difficult to understand that maybe they need to listen more, and understand their position in society.

Is it just White men that have this issue with listening?  It is amazing how much you seem to garner from a single post. 

But anyway I am listening and trying to understand, my thoughts on this one book are that in some aspects it over simplifies wider societal issues, which rather than bringing people along together will actively drive position apart. Which does concern me as it will stop people listening. 

I am putting to much on what one book can do, it was not meant to be a scholarly review, and that is my error. But I am certainly not dismissing this entirely 

• Site Supporter
On 01/12/2022 at 08:39, Cheese said:

Totally different.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-63810468

Lady SH: Where are you from?

Me: Sistah Space.

SH: No, where do you come from?

Me: We're based in Hackney.

SH: No, what part of Africa are you from?

Me: I don't know, they didn't leave any records.

SH: Well, you must know where you're from, I spent time in France. Where are you from?

Me: Here, the UK.

SH: No, but what nationality are you?

Me: I am born here and am British.

SH: No, but where do you really come from, where do your people come from?

Me: 'My people', lady, what is this?

SH: Oh I can see I am going to have a challenge getting you to say where you're from. When did you first come here?

Me: Lady! I am a British national, my parents came here in the 50s when...

SH: Oh, I knew we'd get there in the end, you're Caribbean!

Me: No lady, I am of African heritage, Caribbean descent and British nationality.

SH: Oh so you're from...

Sounds like a six and two threes to me, with added Chardonay and both of them wanting the last word.

I don’t think anyone is suggesting it’s racist to ask someone where you’re from, especially if English isn’t their first language. We all do it and it’s normal friendly conversation.

The problem here was the old biddies insistence, she kept asking and asking. If you’ve asked someone where they’re from and they told you, then leave it ffs. If you carry on asking then all you’re doing is assuming that they can’t be really from here because of their skin colour. That’s what makes it a little bit racist in this context.

Once again, the hardcore, drama queen voices of culture politics have stolen the debate and the context has been lost. The left are calling for the heads of all the royal family and the right are moaning you can’t even ask someone where they’re from anymore.

The Blind Date comparison (whilst funny) is clearly not relevant to what happened in this case. It’s just common sense. It’s not to difficult to judge if someone is happy to talk about heritage or not. But when you’ve got a third/fourth generation person from Bradford with very little connection to their ancestral homeland, then maybe best not to keep pestering them. 

Edited by London Wanderer