Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Walker & McGinlay - Would they cut it ?

dusan nikolic

• Site Supporter

Yes, I think both would. McGinlays style was similar to Charles but he was a better finisher.

Walker more in the Klasnic mould. Lethal finisher.

For me though, we'd need to get plenty more crosses in like they did for their goal last night. We'd have to alter how we play and we'd only run with one of them, not both together

Id say Walker was ahead of his time. So intelligent and a classy finisher. 

SJM would have to be fitter obviously but his way of being johnny on the spot was fuckin genius.

Hed do fuck all, all game, then pop up with tap in.

Both would deffo cut it today imo. 

Our crop of strikers could only dream of having their natural ability.

24 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

Walker, klasnic & ricketts are the best finisher’s I’ve seen 

Gudjonsen wasn't bad!  But those 3 were exceptional finishers.

Answer to the question of the thread - 100% yes.  I just have to think of the 2 goals at Anfield, the two at home v Arsenal (FAC) and Wolves (play offs), no striker we currently have would have scored any of those.  And I could list dozens of Walkers goals that the current strikers could only dream of.

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, only1swanny said:

I'm going to say no. 

Watching the older videos and the play was just so different, games much quicker etc 

I think with today's training, diets, coaching methods etc, they'd adapt.

Not sure you can coach the finishing instinct they had. Positioning and work ethic can be coached but not finishing.

If they couldn't do a great job at this level, then Wright and Shearer wouldn't do it in the prem. Not having it

33 minutes ago, only1swanny said:

I'm going to say no. 

Watching the older videos and the play was just so different, games much quicker etc 

Have a look at our first goal at Anfield (Lee cross, McGinlay header), I'm unsure which bit of that any of our current team could replicate - pace, beating a man, crossing superbly with the "wrong" foot, striker hanging high in the air to power in an accurate downward header.  A different level to today.

Walker was by the far the better player imo 

A natural finisher

His injury brought SJM to the fore and made him the main man 

But the pair of them up front would destroy teams today…..if they had players like Lee, Kelly, McAteer, Patterson, Frandsen, etc behind them. Which sadly we don’t have

• Site Supporter
9 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

Walker was by the far the better player imo 

A natural finisher

His injury brought SJM to the fore and made him the main man 

But the pair of them up front would destroy teams today…..if they had players like Lee, Kelly, McAteer, Patterson, Frandsen, etc behind them. Which sadly we don’t have

The turn with back to goal from right to left Frandsen had down to a tee, Charles has tried a few times recently with some degree of success. 

I'd prefer to see midfielders doing it to allow Dion to find space.

We are improving imo. When the likes of Toal get up to speed, we'll improve again.

Yes I'm biased and have had a whiskey or 2 but really do think we are improving. Johnston for example gets bullied of that lanky twat on Friday last season. He had his shirt off his back most challenges this season.

He needs a new contract and sharpish imo

Edited by Biggish Dave

Loved both of them. Especially SJM, Walker better finisher though. 

Modern game think SJM would have been better than Walker as SJM was better with his back to goal and pressing. 

Walker would be 'bring him off the bench to get us a goal' player these days sadly. Class player, great finisher.