Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Walker & McGinlay - Would they cut it ?

dusan nikolic

Can’t believe we are discussing it , talking about fitness etc given the state of the energy sapping pitches in those days plus two games a week .

Walker & McGinley would walk into our current team not to mention Blake who along with SJM scored thirty goals in our title winning season in the Championship as well !

23 minutes ago, Take Hunt Off said:

Can’t believe we are discussing it , talking about fitness etc given the state of the energy sapping pitches in those days plus two games a week .

Walker & McGinley would walk into our current team not to mention Blake who along with SJM scored thirty goals in our title winning season in the Championship as well !

I agree, for me the Charles comparison is with David Reeves not McGinlay or Walker 🤣

What a partnership of course they would cut it today there isn’t a player anywhere near them at this level today and don’t forget they both went on to play international football as well .

For me walker had that bit more class than John as a player but John was more of a team player would drop deep into midfield if he had to and collect the ball and make things happen played on the wing at Wembley played in the net against reading 

Edited by Farnywhite

On 03/12/2022 at 22:50, only1swanny said:

I'm going to say no. 

Watching the older videos and the play was just so different, games much quicker etc 

When Comparing players from different eras you have to have allow for variations in speed and fitness of the modern game. Otherwise you could argue Pele would not get in our team now for those reasons.