Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Charlton (A)

Biggish Dave

1 minute ago, Leyther_Matt said:

One thing I would say in Aimson’s favour ahead of Santos is that he knew his limitations. Lost count of the amount of times Santos unnecessarily gave the ball away today. Hopefully it was only because he’s still a bit rusty but it certainly put us on the back foot a couple of times. 

But that’s what Evatt wants him to do. He wants progressive passes from deep which come from Santos or Morley. It’s risk/reward… He will execute it better as he gets fitter IMO but you don’t get that from Aimson. Aimson would regularly hoof the ball out of play or give it away. Cracking defender but just didn’t have the composure or technical ability to do the same job. 

1 minute ago, Leyther_Matt said:

One thing I would say in Aimson’s favour ahead of Santos is that he knew his limitations. Lost count of the amount of times Santos unnecessarily gave the ball away today. Hopefully it was only because he’s still a bit rusty but it certainly put us on the back foot a couple of times. 

He’d have to go some to give the ball away as much as aimson. There is no comparison between the high risk game Santos plays (which Evatt asks him to play) and the low risk game using 5 yard passes Aimson was required to play for us. 

Just now, Stevowanderer said:

But that’s what Evatt wants him to do. He wants progressive passes from deep which come from Santos or Morley. It’s risk/reward… He will execute it better as he gets fitter IMO but you don’t get that from Aimson. Aimson would regularly hoof the ball out of play or give it away. Cracking defender but just didn’t have the composure or technical ability to do the same job. 

Some fans just don’t get it. 

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, Stevowanderer said:

Also if Morley plays like that for the rest of the season we’ll struggle to keep hold of him in the summer. Absolutely fantastic from start to finish. 

Well deserved MOTM, always looked interested and wants all the free kicks and corners.

1 minute ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I still can’t believe the fans saying we are having a bad window. I love the evolution of this team. We started last season with Doyle, Delfouneso and Baka. We still had Comley picking up a wage. Dixon was in net. Look at the team now. It’s unbelievable compared to that. 

Go on, I’ll indulge you. What don’t I ‘get’?

I’m well aware of the style we’re trying to play and I know there’s an element of risk to it, but there were half a dozen occasions in the first half where Santos was trying to make passes that  were bypassing Dempsey and Morley that simply weren’t on and cheaply giving away possession in periods where we were doing a good job of just keeping hold of the ball and letting Charlton do a bit of chasing.

I’m not calling for him to be tarred and feathered on the town hall steps, but he needs to learn to cope with his limitations and shift the ball on to midfield rather than trying to slide through a 40 yard pass. 

• Site Supporter
14 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Define “gave the ball away” please. Are you talking about heading clear and the ball happens to go to an opponent? Or maybe a long cross-field ball which gets cut out? Or do you mean could’ve picked out an easy out-ball but instead kicked it to an opponent.

6 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

I’m well aware of the style we’re trying to play and I know there’s an element of risk to it, but there were half a dozen occasions in the first half where Santos was trying to make passes that  were bypassing Dempsey and Morley that simply weren’t on and cheaply giving away possession in periods where we were doing a good job of just keeping hold of the ball and letting Charlton do a bit of chasing.

I’m not calling for him to be tarred and feathered on the town hall steps, but he needs to learn to cope with his limitations and shift the ball on to midfield rather than trying to slide through a 40 yard pass. 

But he has proved numerous times in the last 2 years that he is more than capable of playing those passes. They just didn’t come off today. Pitch didn’t help either mind. 

3 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

It’s ok you get it then.. accept that Evatt wants him to do exactly what’s he’s doing.. and I don’t see him give the ball away that often today or in general, certainly not often in dangerous areas, you defended Aimson, who can’t pass 5 yards, while having pop at Santos who’s playing a high risk expansive game being brave to benefit the team and giving ball away less than 5 yard Aimson.. strange call that in my book. 

2 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Define “gave the ball away” please. Are you talking about heading clear and the ball happens to go to an opponent? Or maybe a long cross-field ball which gets cut out? Or do you mean could’ve picked out an easy out-ball but instead kicked it to an opponent.

The latter. Just seemed far too keen to try and hit Charles early with low passes that were easily intercepted while Dempsey and Morley were stood  5-10 yards away waiting for the ball. The crossfield balls are far less of an issue as if they’re intercepted then it’s only in the air whereas on the deck it’s easier for the opposition to counter.

It’s ok you get it then.. accept that Evatt wants him to do exactly what’s he’s doing.. and I don’t see him give the ball away that often today or in general, certainly not often in dangerous areas, you defended Aimson, who can’t pass 5 yards, while having pop at Santos who’s playing a high risk expansive game being brave to benefit the team and giving ball away less than 5 yard Aimson.. strange call that in my book. 

As above, Santos was trying too many low passes to try and hit Charles that were too easy to intercept rather than shifting it on to the midfield three who are the ones paid to make those passes after all. If nothing else my annoyance was more at the timing of those instances as three or four of them came at the end of passages of 8-10 passes where Charlton were chasing shadows but then they got the ball back too easily. 

Don’t forget, these players are playing at L1 level. Some lower when we picked them up. The further down the chain you go the more mistakes players are prone to. Santos has a mistake in him and much like keepers, when defenders make a mistake it generally leads to a chance or a goal. If he could cut out the number he makes he’s destined for more out of his career. Or, this will be him forever. What I do know is he brings far more positives. Opposing fans generally rave about him cos on the whole he’s a bit of a colossus. Granted they don’t see him as often as we do but the way he nullifies opposition players and their strengths id much rather have him than not 

3 minutes ago, barrycowdrill said:

Don’t forget, these players are playing at L1 level. Some lower when we picked them up. The further down the chain you go the more mistakes players are prone to. Santos has a mistake in him and much like keepers, when defenders make a mistake it generally leads to a chance or a goal. If he could cut out the number he makes he’s destined for more out of his career. Or, this will be him forever. What I do know is he brings far more positives. Opposing fans generally rave about him cos on the whole he’s a bit of a colossus. Granted they don’t see him as often as we do but the way he nullifies opposition players and their strengths id much rather have him than not 

I also think some of his mistakes come because of the way that Evatt wants him to play. To take risks on the ball to retain possession in certain areas. He occasionally gets caught in possession or gives it away but that’s the risk/reward of the style. It has way more advantages than disadvantages for me and then you add in his 1 on 1 defending, dominance in the air etc. There are very few strikers that get the better of him and we’d struggle to find another like him. Just need him to score now! 

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Stevowanderer said:

I also think some of his mistakes come because of the way that Evatt wants him to play. To take risks on the ball to retain possession in certain areas. He occasionally gets caught in possession or gives it away but that’s the risk/reward of the style. It has way more advantages than disadvantages for me and then you add in his 1 on 1 defending, dominance in the air etc. There are very few strikers that get the better of him and we’d struggle to find another like him. Just need him to score now! 

His risky ball, when they fail, is at least 50 yards up the pitch. Short balls fucking up are much more dangerous.

• Site Supporter
32 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

He’d have to go some to give the ball away as much as aimson. There is no comparison between the high risk game Santos plays (which Evatt asks him to play) and the low risk game using 5 yard passes Aimson was required to play for us. 

Yet, the defence looked as solid with Aimson in with Toal and Johnston, as any other combination. If not better.

A defence is often about the group and mutual understanding. Its not about which is the better individual. 

They're all pretty decent, and it didn't bother me when Aimson was covering for Santos. Equally, didn't bother me when Santos came back.

We're looking more solid but also have that aggressive side that we've been lacking somewhat In recent times that we need to get out of these divisions.

Big fan of Dempsey in the middle, Victor also looks very strong. 

Play like we did today consistently and we will get promotion. Just need to be a bit more clinical.

19 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

The new lad on the left looks ok 

Could have been a shop window display . Evatt giving him a run out and John pulling is tripe out . There would of been a few teams interested hun before today but might of been put off by is lack of football this season