Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Charlton (A)

Biggish Dave

• Site Supporter

Great day.

Smooth journey down Picc-Euston.

Good pre-match drinks at the Anchor and Hope.

Game fantastic. 1-2 flattered them. Standouts Morley, Santos. New boys looked good. Shoretire is a talent. Good to see DJ back. Great going forward. 

London Bridge is a great Saturday afternoon out on the beers. 

Safely onto a Euston-Picc train that is running.

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, desperado said:

Great day.

Game fantastic. 1-2 flattered them. Standouts Morley, Santos. New boys looked good. Shoretire is a talent. Good to see DJ back. Great going forward. 

Sounds a proper decent day out.

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Special praise again for Lee today, he’s getting better with age his work without the ball has improved 100% and makes him a much better all round player. 

Fair play for seeing his valuable contribution, as I know you weren’t convinced earlier in the season.

He knits everything together so well. And as you point out his work off the ball has definitely improved this season. I think Evatts management of him has been brilliant.

His link up with Shoretire was great to see today. Earlier days for this claim, but Shoretire as a 9 or 10 looks to be more threatening than Dapo there this season - Dapo always at his best wide left.

Edited by desperado

Surely with the amount of atack minded players in the squad now, why do any of our defenders have to take risks with the ball? 

The risk, IMO, in the way Evatt wants us to play is by getting our defenders up to the opposition box, and that is where Santos is gold in providing cover 1 v 1 against the break.

However with the team we have I'm not sure he needs to bother as much with the risky glory ball tbh. Hence why was easier for Aimson to slot in so well recently than the last time he had a run in the team.

4 hours ago, MickyD said:

I have a problem when a blocked shot isn’t counted as a shot on target. The way I see it, if the defender hadn’t blocked it, would the ball have gone towards the goal? If yes then it’s a shot on target.

Can't believe anyone would have a problem with something so trivial 

Who gives a fuck?

18 minutes ago, desperado said:

Great day.

Fair play.

It isn’t easy having a “good” day out when it’s in London and a 12-30 kick-off.

Usually at least half haven’t travelled from the NW & it’s a different atmosphere/comradery because of it.

Edited by captainmed

Wow! much, much better than I was expecting. I bought into the "Charlton haven't played for two weeks where we'll be knackered after playing with 10 for an hour during midweek" although that is factual we looked a class above them throughout all over the pitch even not at 100%. Obviously conceding such a soft goal right from the start of the second half has given them a massive boost along with momentum in a game where they should have been out of so they've had a bit of a spell but we've absolutely played them off the park. F knows how we've only scored two goals like some have said this was a lot more dominant compared to when we won there 4-1 last season. Morley-Dempsey absolutely bossing the centre yet again, the attackers looked a constant threat every time we went forward, DJ provided a touch of class down that left when he came on hopefully we see more of that. Fingers crossed nothing serious in terms of Johnstone & Shoretire. Seen some Charlton fans raving about Morley/Santos/Charles that they shouldn't be in L1 which just shows how well we're progressing along with how "we're the best team to play at the valley all season" so good things are happening here.

Just watched it a second time. First was stop/start due to granddaughter spewing all over the car and house

Great team performance. Thought every one one of them had a good game with a few stand outs as mentioned above

First time watching their goal I was a bit critical of Traff but looking again I do wonder if it took a bit of a bobble? Otherwise he properly commanded his  area and made some decent saves

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, MancWanderer said:

Just watched it a second time. First was stop/start due to granddaughter spewing all over the car and house

Great team performance. Thought every one one of them had a good game with a few stand outs as mentioned above

First time watching their goal I was a bit critical of Traff but looking again I do wonder if it took a bit of a bobble? Otherwise he properly commanded his  area and made some decent saves

Awkward bounce. He'll be disappointed, and I think should have done a bit better, but we can't complain. A young keeper who's been excellent for us. 

Watching Accrington earlier; their keeper was impressive. If we lose Traf for next season, he could be someone to look at.

Aimson is as good if not better than Rico at defending his own box positionally and possibly better concentration…But Santos is far superior in every other department.. pace, strength, duals, aerially (defensively - maybe not attacking wise) and passing. Santos offers a lot more than Aimson IMO. No way Aimson would get anywhere near our team if we get promoted whereas Santos I feel could make the step up. 

18 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Awkward bounce. He'll be disappointed, and I think should have done a bit better, but we can't complain. A young keeper who's been excellent for us. 

Watching Accrington earlier; their keeper was impressive. If we lose Traf for next season, he could be someone to look at.

With Scott Carson as City’s 3rd keeper I do worry that an injury to either of their first two sees Traff recalled

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, Stevowanderer said:

Aimson is as good if not better than Rico at defending his own box positionally and possibly better concentration…But Santos is far superior in every other department.. pace, strength, duals, aerially (defensively - maybe not attacking wise) and passing. Santos offers a lot more than Aimson IMO. No way Aimson would get anywhere near our team if we get promoted whereas Santos I feel could make the step up. 

Quite.

The concept of one being "vastly superior" is for the birds.

Both decent, one indeed better overall, but both in league one.

If our captain was that good, he wouldn't be with us now.

2 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

With Scott Carson as City’s 3rd keeper I do worry that an injury to either of their first two sees Traff recalled

They’ve got a keeper out on loan at Middlesbrough with 20 odd caps for the USA that you’d think would be in front of Trafford in that queue