Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Derby a

radcliffe white

Don't you walk through a shoping cnetre at Derby to get to the ground?

Anyway, when I've had the misfotune of having a meeting Derby, I've been to this pub, the Brunswick, near the station. Has its own Brewery https://www.brunswickbrewingcompany.co.uk/

There was a nice gig pub near the station as well but can't remember it's name.

16 hours ago, RoadRunnerFan said:

Wonder what the population of Derby is? 

It’s not just Derby though is it? It’s Derbyshire really because other than Chesterfield there’s nobody else to watch and there are some pretty big towns to pull from all the way up to the Nottingham border. In truth other than the Clough era in the early seventies when they won the league twice they’ve done nowt before or since though they did win the FA Cup in 46/47. Does a few more fans make them a bigger club than Wanderers?

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

It’s not just Derby though is it? It’s Derbyshire really because other than Chesterfield there’s nobody else to watch and there are some pretty big towns to pull from all the way up to the Nottingham border. In truth other than the Clough era in the early seventies when they won the league twice they’ve done nowt before or since though they did win the FA Cup in 46/47. Does a few more fans make them a bigger club than Wanderers?

the all time top flight table has us at 13th and them at 17th

they'll always have them league titles under their belt so will think they are bigger, fair enough

but in my time, we've edged it just by doing more in the PL and getting in Europe

21 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Don't you walk through a shoping cnetre at Derby to get to the ground?

Anyway, when I've had the misfotune of having a meeting Derby, I've been to this pub, the Brunswick, near the station. Has its own Brewery https://www.brunswickbrewingcompany.co.uk/

There was a nice gig pub near the station as well but can't remember it's name.

It's a bit of a hike from the centre but no shopping centre involved 

Just now, Zico said:

they'll always have them league titles under their belt so will think they are bigger, fair enough

but in my time, we've edged it just by doing more in the PL and getting in Europe

Avoiding getting the lowest points tally in prem history helps as well

1 minute ago, Zico said:

True Zico, those Cloughie years were magic and if I was a Derby fan I’d be living off them as well. 🤗

• Site Supporter

It's been mentioned before on here; a book entitled "through the turnstiles", written by one of my university tutors around the late 80s/early 90s, studies the attendances and results and relays historic stories of league football.

At the time of writing, Bolton and Derby were next to each other in the average attendance table, with Bolton's attendances most closely matching their divisional average. 

I'd hazard a guess that since, there probably hasn't been a significant deviation from those adjacent positions.

• Site Supporter

The debate about who is "bigger" is extremely subjective and somewhat irrelevant anyway. 

I'm sure Brentford aren't bothered by the fact we have bigger crowds for example.

Attendances at any given match doesn't signify anything neither- trends are more valuable from a historical perspective as to how a club, and indeed the game as a whole are performing. 

A chap I was at university with was a geography student, Crewe fan and half decent player in the college team. He did some research as part of his degree that was greatfully received by his beloved club for consideration within the club's business plans and ideas for the future. 

There are undoubtedly benefits of studying trends and behaviours, but they have to be based on sound evidence and reasoning, and not just a bit of cock waving.

12 minutes ago, Lostock Whites said:

In my opinion and it's just an opinion, we're a smaller club than Sheff Weds(not much) same size as Derby County, bigger than Ipswich and  Pompey.

What we might lack in attendances to others, we make up in years in the top flight, all time league table positioning, major trophies, recent relevancy in the Premier League and also factoring in our geography, being on the doorstep of the some of the world's largest football clubs.

I also think little touches like being one of the founding members, scoring the first English league goal and winning the first major final at the Old Wembley in the biggest football crowd of all time are little bonuses that the others don't have. 

We're almighty powerhouse of a club, spanning nearly 150 years and deeply embedded into English football history.

We can all be very proud to support this great club. 

Haven’t all 4 won the 1st division

Support wise Sheffield/Derby & ipswich can pull greater numbers than ourselves

but subjective as TMGJ says 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, radcliffe white said:

Haven’t all 4 won the 1st division

Support wise Sheffield/Derby & ipswich can pull greater numbers than ourselves

but subjective as TMGJ says 

Ipswich won UEFA cup as well

I think we should get special discount in the big club debate being slap bang in the most populated with professional clubs area in the world football.

That's not to mention one of those clubs is easily in top 3 biggest clubs in the world and litterally on our doorstep, plus city.

The likes of Derby and Ipswich have fuck all within 40 miles.

11 hours ago, Lostock Whites said:

I also think little touches like being one of the founding members, scoring the first English league goal and winning the first major final at the Old Wembley in the biggest football crowd of all time are little bonuses that the others don't have. 

Who did we score that goal against?

And they stuffed us, as per usual 

IE will bring another striker in he ain’t stupid knows we are 1 more injury away from disaster up front , Kachunga couldn’t score in a brothel so only leaves Charles and the new lad from Southampton that’s not enough to keeps us in the play offs . 

1 hour ago, captainmed said:

Heading towards a sell-out.

They have around 1200 tickets left.

Should be a great atmosphere…..

To see us returning to Pride Park tomorrow with such a decent following and so much to be positive about draws a line once and for all under the Anderson era and all the shit that went with it.

Well remember being there for that 4-0 drubbing that effectively relegated us to League one with 4 games to go and a guy in his mid / late 20s sobbing his heart out and us trying to console him by saying things could be a whole lot worse - little did we realise how much worse they were abut to get.  

Could not bring myself to go to any of the few games that remained that season and of course a short time later we had the Brentford game that was postponed and all the fun and games of Administration that followed.

Have witnessed many relegations over the years and the likes of Scarborough and Stoke but for me  it reached an all time low that afternoon