Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Derby a

radcliffe white

4 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

If they want to go though?

Anyway, it does suggest were not quite where we need to be, but that's no great issue for me.

We're developing, and getting better each season.

On a comparatively small budget, and living sustainably, I reckon a play off finish would be a decent achievement. 

We only have Evatt’s word/PR machine. It’s interesting that we have so many disgruntled if the case.

13 minutes ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

Plymouth haven't had to recover from where we were a couple of years ago though. 

No, but to be fair to them they only got promoted from the fourth tier the season before we did and their wage bill last season was only just higher than our wage bill in Evatt's first season despite playing one league higher.

1 minute ago, barrycowdrill said:

Not once over 2 games have I felt they looked a good outfit, felt we were under any sustained pressure, felt like we were hanging on yet come away with 1 point 

Yep agreed. Was fancying us today. Not sure if it was too much respect or just not being good enough. I felt we had to shut them out to win and when we didn’t, wouldn’t even arguing we were chasing the game. Gifted points imo.

2 minutes ago, barrycowdrill said:

Not once over 2 games have I felt they looked a good outfit, felt we were under any sustained pressure, felt like we were hanging on yet come away with 1 point 

Plymouth the same.

Have to take our chances when they come along.

We're doing OK.

Far too lightweight, and the direction of our signings doesn't make me think that's going to change any time soon.

At best, at very best, we'll have to go back there in a night time play off semi final second leg in a few months time and fight like fuck to get anything. We need more than what we showed today to have any chance.

Edited by Marc505

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

No, but to be fair to them they only got promoted from the fourth tier the season before we did and their wage bill last season was only just higher than our wage bill in Evatt's first season despite playing one league higher.

And there are plenty of clubs who have spunked a lot of money & failed to get out of this league... I'm only interested in us & we are still improving...... Does Plymouth success make Evatt a failure? Did Plymouth get out of League 2 whilst suffering the same handicaps as we did? 

Williams was probably brought in to shadow Iredale , obviously he has been thrown in earlier & more than was planned. It makes the John situation a bit perverse but Evatt is the manager & has earned our respect particularly since we don’t know the circumstances of Johns banishment.

Injuries to key players are definitely hurting us at the moment but we are a WIP .A sixth place finish in this league would be more than a satisfactory outcome.

Fans need to show some patience, hopefully Evatt will be able to recruit a half decent striker in the window but it’s not easy with limited funds .

6 minutes ago, Take Hunt Off said:

Williams was probably brought in to shadow Iredale , obviously he has been thrown in earlier & more than was planned. 

I got the impression he was brought in to replace Iredale more often than not.  IE:  "he has blistering speed and will give us a real attacking threat down that left hand side, predominantly he has been brought in to mirror what we are getting from Bradley on the right".  If he wasn't ready presumably Beck would have played a bit more while he got upto speed.

18 minutes ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

And there are plenty of clubs who have spunked a lot of money & failed to get out of this league... I'm only interested in us & we are still improving...... Does Plymouth success make Evatt a failure? Did Plymouth get out of League 2 whilst suffering the same handicaps as we did? 

No, it doesn't make Evatt a failure. The very point I'm making is that it can be done on a budget and we're more or less following the same journey as they have.

They didn't have the same handicaps as we did but it's a matter of fact that they finished just outside the play-offs in the third tier with a very similar wage budget as we had when we got promoted from the fourth.

We just need to keep doing what we're doing but we'll probably need another couple of transfer windows.