Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Derby a

radcliffe white

1 hour ago, Take Hunt Off said:

I’m sure Williams has played more games than was planned , as for Beck obviously Evatt doesn’t trust him, anyway are you saying Evatt is incompetent ? Anyway your ‘impression’ is neither here nor there.

Err...no.  I agree with your last bit, what I say matters not a jot, just chat.

1 hour ago, Whitesince63 said:

That’s just an excuse. Derby are rebuilding from just one year and like we were they are under embargo and can’t buy players, they’re also under wage restraints so we could compete with them if we’d wanted to. The difference is they have a manager who’s sole intention is to sign players of experience who can get him promotion whilst we have a manager who is obsessed with signing kids for his moneyball belief and will exclude players who don’t share his view. I can’t help feeling that IE needs to be more flexible with his system. We’ve now lost Dapo, John, Doyle and Sarce who seemed to question things and we’ll probably lost Sadlier who despite never being played in his best position has managed more goals in his short term appearances than Kachunga has all season. Would I swop Evatt for a Warne type, you bet I would.

Their manager joined them after the last window shut and didn't sign any of the starters. So even if his intention is to sign the type of player to which you refer it had no influence on today's result or any of their earlier results. 

Jsl. 

Edited by RoadRunnerFan

Getting into the play offs will be a good achievement, but there's no point getting there if we can't beat the teams above us.

The story of the season has been that we play good football and even have the better of most teams, but against the higher teams we aren't ruthless and tend to bottle it.

I wouldn't be confident if we played Ipswich, Sheff Weds, Derby or Plymouth in the play offs. All of who we have not beaten this season.

Saying this, play offs are a lottery and anything could happen.

I'm still confident. But I think to get us to that next level, we need more investment from above. Some of our players are not good enough, we were chasing a game today against Derby away and we bring on Kachunga, a player with 2 goals for us in 60 matches. 

I don’t think it’s the be all and end all of us falling short in games like today, but it doesn’t help that we are back to having a team of fucking dwarves again! We finished the game with only 2 centre backs and the keeper over 6 foot.

• Site Supporter

It is a stumbling block, but getting into the play offs is still worth it.

Fwiw, I think Ipswich will drop into them, and we've done well against them both this and last season.

We've also done quitr well against Derby at home- maybe a poor finish away from winning.

Thing is, we could have these new lads bedded in by then, and we may be better still.

Let's just see how things unfold, and if we get there, just enjoy the ride. 

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Fwiw, I think Ipswich will drop into them, and we've done well against them both this and last season.

We've also done quitr well against Derby at home- maybe a poor finish away from winning.

Thing is, we could have these new lads bedded in by then, and we may be better still.

Ipswich are already in them, several points short of second  

I reckon we'll finish 5th, we are still to play the bottom 8 starting with bottom place FGR Tuesday 

Ipswich could well finish 4th so could meet them in the semis  

Be interesting to see where we're at by time we play them in march 

• Moderators
48 minutes ago, DaisyHWanderer said:

Better team on the day. We just never looked up for it today. First 20 mins of the second half was up there with our best away support for a long time for me. Felt good to be in a full ground!

Aye, like the proximity of away to home fans, makes for a good atmosphere, would've been even better had we scored during our loud spell

6 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

For me I think we're more than good enough to finish in play offs but that lower end of play offs is where it'll be and that means an away second leg in the semis.

Question is whether we can go away and get something with our backs to the wall. Not sure. Ipswich opening day made me think maybe yes but I'm still unconvinced.

2 hours ago, Spider said:

I got as far as “embargo” then didn’t read the rest as you clearly don’t even know basic facts.

You’re just the same as your fellow Wigan fans.

Grow up you numpty. Derby are still under restrictions, can’t buy players and are under a wage cap. Maybe do some homework eh?

17 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

For me I think we're more than good enough to finish in play offs but that lower end of play offs is where it'll be and that means an away second leg in the semis.

Question is whether we can go away and get something with our backs to the wall. Not sure. Ipswich opening day made me think maybe yes but I'm still unconvinced.

That's been an issue for years.  All those games we've been the better team at home and failed to win - not a criticism of us, more a nod to the ability of other teams like Plymouth, Derby, Barnsley, Bristol Rovers refusing to bow to pressure, I always wonder when it will be our turn to go away and frustrate the home team.  Possibly Ipswich this season, any others? I'd love us to go away to a team around or above us, and get criticised for playing for a point, and succeeding, especially at a big ground when there is a loud home support.  Best smash and grabs I can think of under IE are Crewe and Shrewsbury last minute (undeserved?) winners, but we don't really do the backs to the wall, thou shall not pass, type of performances, generally speaking if we come under pressure, we concede.

24 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

That's been an issue for years.  All those games we've been the better team at home and failed to win - not a criticism of us, more a nod to the ability of other teams like Plymouth, Derby, Barnsley, Bristol Rovers refusing to bow to pressure, I always wonder when it will be our turn to go away and frustrate the home team.  Possibly Ipswich this season, any others? I'd love us to go away to a team around or above us, and get criticised for playing for a point, and succeeding, especially at a big ground when there is a loud home support.  Best smash and grabs I can think of under IE are Crewe and Shrewsbury last minute (undeserved?) winners, but we don't really do the backs to the wall, thou shall not pass, type of performances, generally speaking if we come under pressure, we concede.

We did beat Barnsley a couple of weeks ago. Granted, Barnsley aren't at the level of the very best but I didn't expect us to before kick-off.

It depends exactly what hou mean by backs to the wall but the last "big" fixture we won away from home against a promotion rival was when we beat Morecambe the season we got promoted.

Just now, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

We did beat Barnsley a couple of weeks ago. Granted, Barnsley aren't at the level of the very best but I didn't expect us to before kick-off.

It depends exactly what hou mean by backs to the wall but the last "big" fixture we won away from home against a promotion rival was when we beat Morecambe the season we got promoted.

The last one I can think of, I mean.

Weird one today, I don't think we played badly, but we didn't play well.

Derby aren't that good and neither side really deserved to win or lose.

Our passing was off today and the ball was in the air too much for my liking, but it's 1 defeat in 7 or 8. Dust down, go again, spank FGR and crack on.

COYW

Edited by Traf

• Site Supporter
6 hours ago, DirtySanchez said:

Derby fans I know reckon we were the best set of fans they've had there all season 

Very complimentary of our support. We’re still here, stayed over at my mates, he said that 20 mins in the 2nd half was some of the best away support he’s ever seen at Pride Park.

On the game, it had a little bit of a feel of the MK Dons defeat last year, although not as stark, as we played well at times yesterday and in patches looked better than they did.

More to do with the realisation that going up automatically and catching the best teams in the league is currently beyond us

Agree with others that our passing wasn’t as crisp as usual and we Didn’t do enough in the final 3rd. They were clinical with the 2 chances they created.

But unlike last year, we still have a massive incentive on 2 fronts; the cup and play-offs.

And there’s still going to be some improvement both in the transfer market (hopefully) and in the performance/progression of the team.

So plenty to look forward to, starting with FG Tuesday then a cracking away day in the smoke Saturday.