Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The NHS

L/H White

11 minutes ago, Farrelli said:

Yes but this is clearly an issue of underfunding since 2010, the ageing population is a factor but we were managing it better before 2010. The Tories drastically reduced NHS spending and we are now paying the price.

There is no one thing to blame, but we have hit the perfect storm, as all these things have contributed: COVID, Brexit, Austerity and an Aging Population.

7 minutes ago, Sweep said:

There is no one thing to blame, but we have hit the perfect storm, as all these things have contributed: COVID, Brexit, Austerity and an Aging Population.

You missed out 'a decade of Tory financial mismanagement'

19 minutes ago, Farrelli said:

Yes but this is clearly an issue of underfunding since 2010, the ageing population is a factor but we were managing it better before 2010. The Tories drastically reduced NHS spending and we are now paying the price.

Spending has increased year on year since 2010, obviously Covid wasn’t factored in to the costs, that’s had a massive impact. I’ve said it earlier in this thread the NHS should be above party politics and all parties should work together to put a short/medium/ long term plan in place for the NHS. 

8 minutes ago, Sweep said:

Agreed but the government have allowed the problems to become chronic by mis-management and under funding. They could not even be bothered to arrange meetings on wage settlements, instead choosing to hide behind pay review panels. They should have made a counter offer on pay and conditions but instead decided to focus on a bill to prevent strikes. They are fucking hopeless.

4 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Spending has increased year on year since 2010, obviously Covid wasn’t factored in to the costs, that’s had a massive impact. I’ve said it earlier in this thread the NHS should be above party politics and all parties should work together to put a short/medium/ long term plan in place for the NHS. 

There was a huge drop in funding after 2010 and wages for nurses and other staff has effectively reduced every year since.  

Bloke on QT said he was on a ward at Solihull recently with two nurses and 28 patients during a night shift. The nurses could not cope with demands and there were some physical attacks and he had to help protect the staff. This is what the Tories have allowed to happen.

8 minutes ago, Farrelli said:

There was a huge drop in funding after 2010 and wages for nurses and other staff has effectively reduced every year since.  

Bloke on QT said he was on a ward at Solihull recently with two nurses and 28 patients during a night shift. The nurses could not cope with demands and there were some physical attacks and he had to help protect the staff. This is what the Tories have allowed to happen.

I am not sure a physical attack can be blamed on the Tories... It was a nigh shift, there were 27 patients on the ward with 2 Nurses, would 3 or 4 nurses prevented the attack, doubt it.    

2 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I am not sure a physical attack can be blamed on the Tories... It was a nigh shift, there were 27 patients on the ward with 2 Nurses, would 3 or 4 nurses prevented the attack, doubt it.    

My old dear was a nurse for 30 years and she said that was common regardless of who’s in power. Blaming any party for assaults is ridiculous 

10 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

These are the conditions faced by nurses and why many are leaving the service.  It comes down to chronic under funding and mis-management by the Tories. 

6 minutes ago, Farrelli said:

These are the conditions faced by nurses and why many are leaving the service.  It comes down to chronic under funding and mis-management by the Tories. 

How would a Labour government prevent a pissed up knob head, or anyone for that matter, attacking a nurse 

14 minutes ago, royal white said:

My old dear was a nurse for 30 years and she said that was common regardless of who’s in power. Blaming any party for assaults is ridiculous 

Not recognising that chronic under funding has contributed to poor working conditions and low morale for NHS staff is ridiculous.

18 minutes ago, Farrelli said:

Not recognising that chronic under funding has contributed to poor working conditions and low morale for NHS staff is ridiculous.

Also, nurses having to deal with mental health issues at the frontline that should be deal with by other services but they've been cut by local authorities due to the idiocy of austerity.

But as ever the usuals think it's simple answers to complex problems.

2 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

Goodness me, it's only January but I'm putting this up for the 'Old Man Shouting At The Clouds' Award in the 'Things Were Reet Better In My Day' category.

😁

Are you incapable of debating an issue without resorting to personal insults?

1 hour ago, Not in Crawley said:

Also, nurses having to deal with mental health issues at the frontline that should be deal with by other services but they've been cut by local authorities due to the idiocy of austerity.

But as ever the usuals think it's simple answers to complex problems.

This is a good point. Don't forget it's not just the NHS that have been underfunded, it's all of the services around the NHS. Lots of which now no longer exist, or at breaking point, which puts excessive burdens on the NHS. In that we're the ones who ultimately end up looking after the people who would usually have been saved by the safety net of social services that used to exist. 

The damage you're seeing now has been at least 10 years in the making. And people have been warning you about it for years. But sadly, we were palmed off as moaning public sector types who don't know we're born. Or lazy. Or trying to make some kind of political point. 

I'd be quite happy with the Tories in charge provided they properly ran the economy and properly funded public services. But they've done neither.

8 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

New Labour rebuilt the NHS after Thatcher and Major ran it into the ground.

They're going to have to do it again.

I think that's the case sadly. I just hope it's not damaged beyond repair. 

I recently changed employer with the NHS to a new one set up my the Tories that came into existence in April. It's already £85,000,000 in the red.

1 hour ago, kent_white said:

I think that's the case sadly. I just hope it's not damaged beyond repair. 

I recently changed employer with the NHS to a new one set up my the Tories that came into existence in April. It's already £85,000,000 in the red.

It is the case.

It's also the plan.

They get another couple of terms they'll get to the point they want.

If Labour don't win the next election the NHS will be toast.

Edited by mickbrown

1 hour ago, kent_white said:

This is a good point. Don't forget it's not just the NHS that have been underfunded, it's all of the services around the NHS. Lots of which now no longer exist, or at breaking point, which puts excessive burdens on the NHS. In that we're the ones who ultimately end up looking after the people who would usually have been saved by the safety net of social services that used to exist. 

The damage you're seeing now has been at least 10 years in the making. And people have been warning you about it for years. But sadly, we were palmed off as moaning public sector types who don't know we're born. Or lazy. Or trying to make some kind of political point. 

I'd be quite happy with the Tories in charge provided they properly ran the economy and properly funded public services. But they've done neither.

Going the way of NHS dentistry.

So difficult to access that private is only option.

• 2 weeks later...