Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Yank / Aus Racing

L/H White

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Sorry R. Only just seen this! I was coming on to mention the brilliant win of Haggas's Addeybb under the steering of Tom Marquand in the Group 1 Queen Elizabeth Stakes at Randwick today. Steamed in at $4.80.

Thought it was a moral after the way it beat another top liner Verry Elleegant a fortnight ago. Brained em today including a Japanese supposed superstar. If I could go to a restaurant we'd be on crayfish toneet!

Will drop you a couple of tips for next Saturday mate. Last weekend of the Sydney Autumn Carnival. I'll be packing in after that.

• Members

The list of top liners I am currently playing with (without Addeybb as I am expecting him to head off for richer prizes elsewhere now):

Away Game

Colette***

Doubtland

Farnan

Master Of Wine

Nature Strip (rated by some as the best horse in Australia at present. I have it not far off but will reserve judgement a bit yet)

Tuscan Queen***

The ones asterisked you may see in the big cups in Melbourne in the Aussie Spring.

• Members

I hear Away Game might have a go at the Robert Sangster Sprint in Adelaide (Morphettville) on 2nd May. Only a rumour though. Most on that list won't start warming up for the Oct/Nov Flemington Carnival until August/September. You might have UK racing back by then!

Now then - the last big Group Race day of the autumn on Saturday (Randwick, Sydney). Two big Group 1's - the Champagne Stakes (race 5) which I expect no. 1 Kings Legacy to take out. Currently around 2.75 but if I had to take a better odds one to knock it off it would be No. 4 Holyfield currently around 8.00. Have to be good to knock off the 1 though. Looks a special one.

The other big group one is the All Aged Stakes (race 7). Again I like the no. 1 - Pierata. Off to stud and a big chance to go out on a high with yet another Group 1 success. He won this last year and he's off to stud after this race. There's a genuine longer odds danger in this race though. No. 4 Fierce Impact (currently showing 15.00). I fear it and may be forced to have a saver on it.

Not sure if you'll get more than Randwick up there? If you get Melbourne racing (Caulfield on Saturday), my best of the day is in the first race. No. 4 Simply Optimistic. Been waiting for it. Can't believe they will let me on EW at 6.00/2.25. I rate it a 3.00/1.50 shot absolute tops so have already taken the antepost overs. I am expecting this to shorten in the betting - time will tell.

Three certainties if you are that way inclined should be Randwick 3 no 2 Rubisaki; Caulfield Race 3 no. 2 Pippie and Caulfield Race 4 no. 1 Mr. Quickie. Nothing's ever certain and acca's aren't my thing (bookies retirement funds) but these are Group race horses running against very inferior opposition on Saturday. No certainties in racing as we all know but with good weather and good tracks forecast at least two should be winning and probably all three.

Disclaimer - if it all turns to shit, don't blame me ;)

• Members

I'll be packing it in after this weekend mate - at least until mid August. Donkeys and dromedaries going around in the winter down here.

Will have an eye cocked to the Robert Sangster in case Away Game makes the trip over from Melbourne. Will carry a postage stamp weight against the older horses and we should get good EW odds. If she pings at the top of the straight from her usual forward position, she'll be a bugger to run down.

Don't go mad - good luck!

• Members

Awful ride on Simply Optimistic.Will be leaving that one alone until it shows something again.

Very unlucky with Pierata - beaten a millimetre after being in front a stride to the line. Cost me a $12K collect that - in a win double with Kings Legacy. More disappointed for the horse. Honest ;)

Kings Legacy ultra professional and smooth win.

The three odds on shots - Rubisaki has been nicknamed the ATM down here. Just keeps on winning. Pippie a big disappointment. Led and blew up about 150m out. Mr Quickie butchered by an over confident ride from the usually bombproof Damien Oliver. Got too far back and came with a withering finish just failing to get there and finishing second.

Probably just wait until 2nd May for Away Game now unless something decent is out next weekend.

• 2 weeks later...