Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rabotnicki Feel Destiny Calling

Burnie

Uefa.com

Rabotnicki feel destiny calling

Wednesday 19 September 2007

by Igor Panevski from Skopje

FK Rabotnicki are looking to grab a chance in a lifetime to earn a "historic result" as Bolton Wanderers FC visit Skopje in the UEFA Cup.

Long journey

Runners up in Macedonia last season, the capital side have battled through ties against NK Gorica of Slovenia and NK Zrinjski of Bosnia-Herzegovina. They are now set to be the first Macedonian club to welcome English opposition as Sammy Lee's Bolton travel to the Gradski Stadium looking to book their place in the group stage.

'A great chance'

Rabotnicki start the tie as rank outsiders, but with the England national team having had their share of headaches against their Macedonian counterparts in the past, midfielder Nderim Nedzipi sees reason for optimism. "We will give our best to get a positive outcome," he said. "This is a great chance to earn a historic result."

Opportunity knocks

Coach Dragoljub Bekvalac agreed, saying: "It's a great success for us to be one step away from the group stage. We know that Bolton are a team with many world-famous stars but that will motivate my players more. You don't get many chances to play against great players, the stadium will be full and we know our strengths so I am hopeful."

Player crisis

Bekvalac has a mountain of headaches to contend with ahead of the game. Defenders Sasko Lazarevski and ?eljko Kovačević are suspended, team captain Stojan Ignjatov recently left after a dispute with the club while midfielder Bojan Mihajlović and, crucially, forward Blaze Ilioski are injured for the big game.

Bolton gloom

Bolton, meanwhile, are bottom of the Premier League after six games as Lee struggles to restore order following former manager Sam Allardyce's move to Newcastle United FC in the summer. However, Bekvalac will not be underestimating them. "They might be getting bad results but they are not playing badly. I have seen some of their matches and they have played very well but have not had any luck."

Historic prospect

Club vice-president Kosta Kostovski just hopes that Bolton's bad luck will hold for another game. "We are looking to spring a surprise," he said. "I believe in my players and think they are ready to make the next step. We are getting better with every match and will try to get a historic success for the club and Macedonian football."

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.