Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Yonner

Guest as

Just been called a yonner by a manc at work, what does it mean?

I'm sure it's been asked loads of times before, but I still have no idea :-k

PB

Yonner and proud

PB

Yonner and proud

No Idea never heard of that one :-k

I was looking up the word "yonks" yesterday, nobody knows where that comes from either :-k

You would indeed have to be from Britain or the Commonwealth to know yonks, since I don???t think it???s found in the USA at all. Everyone is as puzzled as you are by this curious word, which appeared in Britain in the 1960s with no apparent link to any other word in the language. It usually turns up in the phrase for yonks, for a long time.

Many people have told me that they have been told, or assume, that it is a corrupted form of aeons. Others say that they have heard it is an anagram of ???Year, mONth, weeKS???. These are intriguing and highly inventive speculations, but I suspect strongly that they are the usual well-meant attempts at finding an origin where none is known. The anagrammatic origin is too convoluted to be plausible (and virtually all attempts at finding anagram sources turn out to be specious, anyway).

A few reference books suggest that it might be a clipped version of donkey???s years, also meaning a long time. This sounds quite daft on first hearing, but if you think about it, you can see how the onk of donkey might just have been prefixed by the y of years, perhaps as conscious or unconscious back slang. Another way of looking at it is that the source was a spoonerism on donkey???s years???yonkey???s dears, from which yonks arose by clipping. It???s only a theory, mind???nobody knows for sure one way or the other.

1. *pablo

hott, sexy, cute, smart, and athletic. who doesnt want a kid like him? BANGING! you look at him and you fall in love.

:D

PB

Yonner and proud

A colleague of mine from Oldham reckons it's a bit of a backward inbred with a proper thick dopey accent. The retaliation is alledgely to call them a BIFFO. That's a big ignorant f*cker from oldham. Not that I'm down with the street so don't take my word for it.

PB

Yonner and proud

A colleague of mine from Oldham reckons it's a bit of a backward inbred with a proper thick dopey accent. The retaliation is alledgely to call them a BIFFO. That's a big ignorant f*cker from oldham. Not that I'm down with the street so don't take my word for it.

[-X [-X The only time I've been to Oldham is to see Bolton play. Oh and I once went to see Oldham play Chelsea.

Guest Uncle_Northy

PB

Yonner and proud

[-X [-X The only time I've been to Oldham is to see Bolton play. Oh and I once went to see Oldham play Chelsea.

Biff :-# :-# :-# i typed in your name

http://biff.urbanup.com/224074

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.