Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

FERNY`S GOOD BYE

BWFCOLINH58

I've lifted this Rivals.

It's a very moving review of the day's events.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I posted this on a couple of Pompey message boards this morning....

Big Bolton and England fan known to quite a few Pompey fans sadly passed away last week, his funeral was yesterday.

I can only say that he would have been chuffed to bits with the send off he received ....

Westie, Fingers and several others came up in a mini bus, left Pompey at 4am....... and there were fans from other clubs too.

When I got to the wake, held in Astley Bridge Conservative Club in Bolton, there were about 100 people in the bar. I met up with a couple of mates who had earlier been to the service and crem and had a couple of pints with them.

My mate Critch said ' have you been upstairs yet, come on'. So went upstairs to the function room and there must have been another 600 / 700 people there, most if not all in Bolton, England or club colours. A fine sight!

On stage there was a huge St George flag with Bolton Wanderers across it, and a signed England shirt.

Westie was already up on the tables, getting everybody going. '' We love you ferny'' We love you Bolton'' God save the Queen'' and not a ner ner der ner or badly played bugle in sight.

There were some brilliant Bolton terrace ditty's dating back to the 70's, including 'Born to be a Wanderer' and 'Bolton Fusilier' and a few others I hadn't heard before.

Westie and the Pompey lads were due to leave at 7pm to come home, so shortly before this a guy got on stage and a toast was raised to Ferny, another incredible sight this with 600/700 pints raised in the air.

Anyway this guy on stage says a special thanks to the Pompey lads for coming and to huge applause the Bolts break into a superb chorus of the Chimes, it was absolutely brilliant. Tears were never far away yesterday and this brought a huge lump to the throat, mine anyway.

So Westie and the Pompey lads say their goodbyes, into the Bolton night and into the first snows of winter.

30 minutes later, Westie is back on his own. ''What are you doing back here'' ''It's Ferny innit'' and with a shrug of the shoulders and to cheers from the crowd he was back up on the tables.

Sad day, very sad but a good day for the human race and for football fans in particular.

RIP Ferny.....

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.