Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Do I still get to do this?

Mantra

Hey Boltonians,

Should've done this when I first joined but the Takeover thread was too engrossing. Apologies.

Think I'm about half the age of most on here but I've enjoyed reading posts from a wealth of characters.

Can't promise I'll be the most active member (call me plastic) now the takeover has been completed but I hope to chime in here and there because I do enjoy reading some more detailed discussions than on the likes of twitter.

Maybe some of you hope I'm culled as one of the many who joined during HowardWays. Feel slightly embarrassed about that whole thing now but I was rather taken by the spin he put on the takeover saga. Call me naive and young, it's probably true.

Anyhow, story time.

When I was very young, about 5-8 years old, I was a huge David Beckham fan and so I "followed" Man Utd, though I was too young to really understand football at that point. Anyway, Beckham left for Madrid, I lost my interest in football a bit, until I started playing more on the playground in primary school.

My Dad, Bolton fan all his life, took me to the Reebok to see Bolton vs Man U in the home seats. Think it was this match https://www.premierleague.com/match/4847

I remember the crowd roaring when we scored and I was so happy for Bolton. I could feel the electricity from the stadium all through my body. I'd never felt that way about a football goal before.

It was confusing because I thought I supported Man U but since then I have always been a Bolton fan.

I've grown up a bit now, plan to get a season ticket when they're out and support the club.

COYW!

My dad was football mad and a Wanderer, when i was a kid if Bolton were playing miles away, he'd take me anywhere in the North West to watch a game - Gigg Lane,Old Trafford,Maine Road,Goodison, etc.

Admittedly Man U did have a great side back then and Bolton were experiencing a deep trough, i remember him taking me to OT a bit more often than usual, but i never felt any attachment or love for them, it wasn't my town, they weren't my team.

I asked him to stop taking me to OT as i wanted to watch my own team. The only time i've ever been back is when we've played there, i've seen us win there 3 times but still hate the place.

Edited by Burndens Bogs

On 01/09/2019 at 22:14, Burndens Bogs said:

My dad was football mad and a Wanderer, when i was a kid if Bolton were playing miles away, he'd take me anywhere in the North West to watch a game - Gigg Lane,Old Trafford,Maine Road,Goodison, etc.

Admittedly Man U did have a great side back then and Bolton were experiencing a deep trough, i remember him taking me to OT a bit more often than usual, but i never felt any attachment or love for them, it wasn't my town, they weren't my team.

I asked him to stop taking me to OT as i wanted to watch my own team. The only time i've ever been back is when we've played there, i've seen us win there 3 times but still hate the place.

Ha ha my Dad was the same with one exception. He detested Man U with a passion. Think I've put it on here previously but Louis Edwards did him over on a business deal. "Built on corrupt money that club" was his never-ending mantra (pardon the pun!!). One of his favourite birthdays was when I bought him the DVD of the 58 final. He'd never seen a recording of it, having been there that day

Anyway. Welcome aboard