Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Finding Out The Mac Address Of A Netgear Gs108 Switch

Smiley

Any ideas?

In a nutshell. We rent an office with Regus. They charge internet packages per user/device. For 18 months we've paid £40 per month for 2 devices (I know this is steep). This didn't include our iPhones, etc. 

2 months ago a shoddy poster in the kitchen area advertising £5 per day for connecting to the internet for visitors, etc, etc. Didn't bother reading it, thought it had nothing to do with us.

Last month we get a bill for £150. The Regus Intelligent Network picked up 9 devices registered to our office that had used the internet. This month they have picked up £600+ worth of internet use.

We are now at loggerheads with them!

Need to know which devices they are picking up as belonging to us.

We thought we'd covered off all our computers by using a switch (ie. its acting as a router so we believed this was acting as one device - but allowing us 4 devices from it). But now we are unsure. Our phones is another matter... pretty pissed off with them as they've always been connected to the Regus Wifi (which has always been free before).

Regus saying wifi was never free, just that before they introduced their intelligent network software, they were unable to detect who was using the wifi and therefore unable to bill for the usage!

• Moderators

I'd firstly open up its web page i.e. point a web browser at it and log in. Obvs you need its IP address. It should be in there.

Failing that, you could point an SNMP walker at it, such as iReasoning MIB Browser, MAC address should be at .1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.6.1 or something.

• Moderators

Right, lad sat near me is a network bod and has a Netgear switch going to some noddy apple gear.

The switch just routes traffic, it isn't a device itself, so MAC addresses will be passed through.

You either need to use a PC (or MAC?) with internet connection sharing or some kind of managed hub that might possibly mask MAC addresses.

Ok. 

And how do we identify devices that we have Mac addresses for? Or is that impossible - other than getting in touch with any clients, contractors, etc who may have accessed the internet from our office?

ie. I've got 2 unidentified Mac addresses now.... was worried one might belong to the Switch and don't want to disable it and fuck our network up.

AND....

2 of our Macs aren't even showing up on the list that Regus have automated.... which baffles me even more!!

I may just ask a solicitor to have a word with them and fuck them off for taking the piss with the charges. Who the fuck rattles up internet bill of £600+ for a month when the likes of Talk Talk are offering it for £6!!!

• Moderators

Does their "intelligent" software tell you when they connected? That should help.

With a MAC address, you can look up the first few digits to obtain tme maker, e.g. my phone starts with 5c:95 so is apple. Might help narrow down what they are.

Don't forget that every network connection has a different MAC e.g. WIFI and Bluetooth, or on a laptop the WIFI and wired network connections are different interfaces.

This shows the MAC address ranges that belong to Netgear http://hwaddress.com/?q=NETGEAR%20Inc