Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Playing The Number 10 Role

Im suprised at how little these ex-pro's seem to understand about positions and defending, covering etc.

Im starting to think that rather than ex-pro's getting jobs as commentators / pundits, with no qualifications other than they 'used to get paid to be told were to kick a ball', we get footy geeks / analytical people in that role.

Sick of the amount of times Danny Muphy was calling Hazard to track back.....typical British mentality.

I bet Jose said the same when Hazard let his man go twice in the champions league semi, and Jose is not British

Honestly, they are not so articulate but top level pros know a hell of a lot more than we do... stands to reason doesn't it

You spelt 'Cahill' wrong, mate.

100% Jagielka's fault and it was really, really poor. I sometimes play centre back, how can you let the striker just drift away goal side of you, knowing the flick on could be from one of your own team?

Suarez mugged him for the first too, though admittedly once Cavani had time to look up and cross, Suarez was always going to find the space, very hard to defend against that

Jagielka was caught ball watching though on both occasions

100% Jagielka's fault and it was really, really poor. I sometimes play centre back, how can you let the striker just drift away goal side of you, knowing the flick on could be from one of your own team?

Suarez mugged him for the first too, though admittedly once Cavani had time to look up and cross, Suarez was always going to find the space, very hard to defend against that

Jagielka was caught ball watching though on both occasions

Jags played poor, very poor, should have done better as should Cahill for Balotelli's goal.

I bet Jose said the same when Hazard let his man go twice in the champions league semi, and Jose is not British

Honestly, they are not so articulate but top level pros know a hell of a lot more than we do... stands to reason doesn't it

Well thur you go, you dont know, I KNOW that Murphy said it. 

But letting a man go is very different to a number 10 tracking back all game, im sure you see that.

Edited by Pablo

That's part of the problem, people on here think football is an easy game, to paraphrase some simpleton. It is, if you are world class maybe. We (England) just pick our best players. We haven't got a fucking clue how to deal with a player like Pirlo, Costa Rica just man marked him, we stood there and watched him play, Gerrard should have paid for a match ticket.

English football is so far out of date, we may as well wear long shorts and woolen tops.

Bang on this. Football is a team game not individual and we have far too many individuals. It would be much better have to mediocre midfielders but who work well together than so good individuals who can't.

Look at tennis, do you think Nadal and Djokovic could beat the Byran brothers in doubles, not a chance yet neither of the Byran brothers are good individual tennis players. I always thought Darius Vassell played better for England than he did for his club because he just fit into the England team system at the time.

England, for far too long have played decent individuals out of position just because they are seen as the best and are I droppable. We also have picked players based on who they play for and not how well they play. Kieran Richardson got caps at manure but none when he left. Probably would have had more if he stayed and none at all if never played for them at all.

It is a hard job to get the right team but every England manager I can remember hasn't had the balls to go against the media.

Jags played poor, very poor, should have done better as should Cahill for Balotelli's goal.

Well thur you go, you dont know, I KNOW that Murphy said it. 

But letting a man go is very different to a number 10 tracking back all game, im sure you see that.

Jose came out and slated Hazard badly to the press after the game, saying he played for himself not the team, or words to that effect

Hazard is playing to the left for Belgium from what I've seen, similar to what he does for Chelsea, not no. 10, could be wrong though

Not many good sides these days where certain players don't muck in off the ball

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.