Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Fortune Back On?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...tic/5024896.stm

Former Manchester United midfielder Quinton Fortune appears poised to join Bolton or Manchester City after rejecting a contract from Celtic.

The 29-year-old and agent, Francis Martin, met Celtic's chief executive.

And Martin said: "I spoke to Peter Lawwell and he said, because of Quinton's injury history, Celtic could only offer him a one-year deal.

"Celtic had some concerns about his scans, but it was more to do with his injury record."

South Africa international Fortune had been invited to visit Celtic Park by former United team-mate Roy Keane, who on Monday announced he was being forced to retire through injury.

And, while Fortune had been impressed by the Scottish champions, his agent stressed: "Quinton did not want to uproot his family and bring them to Scotland just for one year

"He is the type of person who would move lock, stock and barrel to a new club, not go somewhere and stay in rented accommodation.

"So he wants to stay in the north-west and will probably sign for Manchester City or Bolton.

"Peter said Celtic will see how he goes in the next season.

"All the clubs have offered much the same and if other interested parties had offered Quinton three or four years then Celtic's 12-month offer would have been a concern for us.

"But we understand Celtic have to be sure about a player and it is just one of those things.

"I would like to thank Celtic for the way they conducted themselves. They could not have been more accommodating."

Fortune can also play at left-back, which was a problem position for Celtic manager Gordon Strachan during his championship-winning first season in Glasgow.

Celtic have also been linked with left-backs Michal Kadlec, of Sparta Prague, Everton's Gary Naysmith and Steve Hammell, who has rejected a new contract with Motherwell.

F??ck him, he rejected us once the f??ckin kaffir

Maybe his agent Francis Martin, works in the opposite way to Willie McKay - uses other clubs to get his client a better deal at Bolton :D

He has already stated City were his 2nd choice, added to that his agent is a big Man City Fan, i would say he will not sign for us.

p.s.willie mackay and martin are business partners.

Maybe his agent Francis Martin, works in the opposite way to Willie McKay - uses other clubs to get his client a better deal at Bolton :D

He has already stated City were his 2nd choice, added to that his agent is a big Man City Fan, i would say he will not sign for us.

I've not heard that and, he was all set to have a medical with City before he even heard about the Celtic interest, then he heard of our interest and decided to look at other options. Obviously wasn't 100% happy with City or else he would have gone ahead and signed.

Very droll :D

I hope we sign Fortune but we need to get a move on and sign some more players too.

Hamann and Fortune in for Campo and Okocha - I'm not sure that represents a step forwards. In fact I am sure that it doesn't.

Hamann and Fortune in for Campo and Okocha - I'm not sure that represents a step forwards. In fact I am sure that it doesn't.

Agree with you on that one exiled.

I suppose we have already signed Tal - according to pablo that is a defo step in the right direction :^o

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.