Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

I See Coyle's Winning Them Over At Wigan...

Guest Blixa

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.wiganer.net/news/tmnw/chairman_supports_roslers_fitness_charge_818926/index.shtml

“One thing that is showing itself at the moment is that our boys are not 100 per cent fit,” Whelan told the Wigan Evening Post. “I had suspected that when I’d been watching them train under Owen, and what he was doing with them.

“It’s going to take the new manager at least a couple of weeks to get the lads where he wants them. And you could see from Sunday’s game that one or two were dropping dead before they came off the field.

“Uwe has got a lot of work in front of him, but I like what I see so far.”

Coyle really is fucked. he's never getting a decent job again

how much was that compared to his weekly wage at the time?

Maximum wage of £20 per week was still in operation.

Whelan played 78 games over 4 seasons. I would think that, at most, he got £20 a week in season and £15 a week close season.

14 week close season followed his injury, so add a further 10 weeks to end of October. But he didn't play again until 1962, and never again for Blackburn first team.

Maximum wage of £20 per week was still in operation.

Whelan played 78 games over 4 seasons. I would think that, at most, he got £20 a week in season and £15 a week close season.

14 week close season followed his injury, so add a further 10 weeks to end of October. But he didn't play again until 1962, and never again for Blackburn first team.

why, what happened?