Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Working Your Life Around Fixtures.

leigh white

I don't know how I did it years ago. One season I went to every game bar one. Even preseason friendly's. Walsall away was the one I missed. So close to a perfect attendance record. Still pisses me off now when I think about it.

I did that the season we played Tranmere at Wembley, think I did 54/55 games. SLF had reformed and every man and his dog was going to see them at International 2. I missed our 3-0 loss at Blackpool in the SVT. Was gutted to miss that one game, but at the time didn't realise I'd get close to a full house that season.

Definitely stopped caring about fixtures now though when booking gigs, holidays, etc, etc.

My dad cancelled a family Holliday as it clashed with FA cup semi final weekend as we were bound to beat Oldham.

We enjoyed watching Oldham v DMB/Luton v Chelsea in our front room instead of sat by the pool in las Americas :-)

When I was at 6th form it meant working weekends at JJB and having to miss Bolton. I fucked it off one Saturday to go Blackburn away then quit college on the Monday to get a full time job so I could watch the whites.

Why didn't you go and how far into the season was it?

Think my best season was 2002/03 when I did all home games and about 14/15 of the aways

Last season only did 1 away and missed about 7 homes, some out of choice, probably my "worst" since uni days

Was second half of the season. March/ April time iirc. Had an operation to rip my adenoids out.