Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

With the world cup just around the corner

Guest Uncle_Northy

Guest Uncle_Northy

What is your favorite moment in any world cup ( not 66) and what is your least favorite moment

world cup 90

for me , just walking in the house coming home from work and seeing costa rica put one in the back of the net against the JOCKS. =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

world cup 86

maradona's hand of god [-X [-X el mano de dios [-(

and

world cup 90

semi final against the krauts ..ragging pens ](*,)' ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Favourites:

Bank's save in 70 (below), Holland's total football in 74, Ally MacLeod's face in 1978 when Iran equalised against the Jocks, Argie ticker tape in 1986, Lineker's equaliser against the krauts in 90, a home grown (well kind of :D ) Bolton player appearing in 94 (Macca)....and many more

Worst moment:

Lineker being inches away from getting to the ball to equalise against the Argies after being 2-0 down to that cheating genius Maradonna; day after the Argies in 98 having to get down to Leicester for jury service first thing with a hangover ](*,)

Well seeing as I ain't been around enough to see so many World Cups, I'd have to say the my favourite moments would have to be Beckham's penalty against the Argies (4 years of frustration in that penalty), and Owen's solo goal in 98 against the Falkland scum.

Disappointments - Losing on pens to the Argies in 98, Campbell's disallowed goal and the Argies equaliser right on fckin' half time.

Then there's Sven bottling it when we went behind to Brazil in Korea/Japan.

Ps. Will the thread be moved to the World Cup section? :-k

Got to agree with Platt's winner against Belgium in 1990. Everyone headed into town and ended up invading the Student Ritzy night - when they put World In Motion on the whole dance floor erupted... the students scattered and Wanderers fans bounced up and down, until the bouncers and the DJ decided to shut the place down early. Nearly caused a riot.

As a kid, got to say the Brazil 2-3 Italy game. Quality. Who can forget those veins in Falcao's arms after his goal?

Guest Uncle_Northy

Aye platts goal against belgium was something i will remember .

there was 20 blokes in my living room when that goal went in.

now you can imagine the mayhem.........

next door neighbours being told to fcuk off, and the yelling of ''rule brittania'' and ingerland ingerland .

parents flew back the day after that match and got a full report from the nosey ragging neighbours.

shame i flew out 2 days later to corfu :D/ :D/ :D/ :D/

Another worst moment not really at the time but more looking back was the Brazil v Argentina game in 1982.

I was on holiday on the Costa Brava at the time and could have got tickets to the game. Bearing in mind this is probably the biggest international game in the world, biggest stage and it was being played at poxy Espanyol's ground in Barcelona.

No need for any touts then :D

Anyway, the guy selling tickets advised against it as things might get a bit rough for a 9 year old. [-X

So ended up watching USSR v Belgium at the Nou Camp. :cry: 1-0 USSR and a truly dour game.

Guest Biff

Best World Cup 58 in Sweden when all four home countries qualified for the only time, and Tommy Banks was selected as best left back in the tournament.

• Members

Still got fond memories of '66. That tw@t Rattin getting sent off for Argentina and Bobby Charltons 2 goals against Portugal in the semi final still high on my list. This final was something else though.

Biggest downers 1970 and 1990. Deserved to be World Champions both times and were victims of piss poor luck.

Loved the Azteca (?) stadium in 86, I were only 12 at the time and it was an incredible sight - the Mexican wave, and the weird shadows on the pitch...

Still remember the last 20 against the Argies in that world cup, jesus christ we were electric, Barnes was absolutely flying and they were VERY lucky to beat us - and as we all know they rightfully won that tournament too. Just shows, we HAVE been good enough to have won a few world cups, as Bolty says we've just had some poor, poor fortune down the years.

Worst memory, Pearce missing against the Germans in 1990. I just thought that guy was a hero, and I was gutted for him. But in a strange way I've never been so proud to be English as I was that night.

I was also 12 in 86, and Lineker's hat trick against Poland was quality. Thought we were brilliant from then on in and would have won it if only we beat Argies in the quarters.

Worst memory, Campbell's disallowed goal against the fcuking argies again in '98, mainly because I had done 3 laps of jumping up and down round the garden before being told it wasn't a goal.

My earliest World Cup memories are of staying up all night watching the 78 World Cup played in Argentina. All the games were played in the small hours our time and it was rare for me to be allowed up so late as a 9 year old.

Biggest disappointment was England's failure to qualify in 94.

Best moment:

Sat doin me GCSE exams durin world cup 98, the exam hall was right next to the kitchen and they had the match on, owen scored and the whole room let out a kind of half cheer then back to the exams!

Worst:

Same one the BBC ruining Green Day's 'Time of your life' by playing it after we got knocked out! cant listen to it now without seeing Beckham kicking Simeone!

Best moment:

Sat doin me GCSE exams durin world cup 98, the exam hall was right next to the kitchen and they had the match on, owen scored and the whole room let out a kind of half cheer then back to the exams!

Worst:

Same one the BBC ruining GREEN DAYS " TIME OF YOUR LIFE" by playing it after we got knocked out! cant listen to it now without seeing Beckham kicking Simeone!

Great record though!

Worst moment - That game against the Poles at Wembley in '74 when we failed to qualify,OR realising Gazza would be banned for the final at Italia '90

Best - Linekers goals in '86

Platts late volley against Belgium Italia '90

Beckhams pen against the Argies- 2002

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.