Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Spurs shun Pompey's Defoe bid

I know one or two on here reckon we should go for Defoe but I think we can now rule that one out....!!!

Portsmouth are reported to have seen a ??12 million bid for Tottenham's Jermain Defoe turned down.

Defoe has just returned home after being removed from England's World Cup squad following Wayne Rooney's return to fitness.

The Tottenham striker is well-known to Pompey boss Harry Redknapp who gave him his first-team chance when the two were at West Ham.

Redknapp has been given a substantial transfer budget by co-owner Sacha Gaydamak as he bids to try and transform the team that came with a stunning late run to avoid relegation last season into a genuine Premiership force.

The reported ??12 million offer would almost treble the South Coast club's transfer record - currently the ??4.1 million paid to Auxerre for Benjani Mwaruwari last January.

However, it is been rejected by Spurs - according to Portsmouth's official website - who also turned down a ??10 million offer from Manchester United for Michael Carrick on Friday.

And we can forget about Le Sulk as well with the looks of it....

Meanwhile, Pompey are also believed to be chasing Fenerbahce's former Arsenal, Liverpool and Manchester City striker Nicolas Anelka, with a deal close to being agreed for the French hit-man.

This site reckons we have joined the hunt for Jason Roberts

Bolton join chase for want-away Wigan striker 10:09 June, 12, 2006

Jason Roberts has emerged as a summer target for Wanderers boss Sam Allardyce

Roberts has turned down the offer of a new contract with Wigan Athletic and looks set to move on this summer.

Turkish side Besiktas lead the chase for him, while Aston Villa and Blackburn have also been credited with an interest.

Bolton manager Allardyce is desperate to land at least one new striker this summer after missing out on ??8.5m man Andy Johnson.

Roberts impressed me a lot last season. Still not his biggest fan, and he gets away with far too much the dirty pie-munching ****!

But wouldn't half be good to sign him from them. They adored him last season.

So Defoe is averag and Jason roberts is what ????

Not a big Defoe fan anyway to be honest.

Andy Johnson would've been great, Defoe is average.

Not a big fan of defoe myself, but his past record indicates he is a far better player/goalscorer at premier level than Andy Johnson, because he has scored goals in the premier league over a number of seasons.

Guest Natasha

Judging by Allardyce???s definition of scouting I fully expect Ally McCoist to be our first choice striker next season.

Not a big Defoe fan anyway to be honest.

Andy Johnson would've been great, Defoe is average.

Not a big fan of defoe myself, but his past record indicates he is a far better player/goalscorer at premier level than Andy Johnson, because he has scored goals in the premier league over a number of seasons.

Class Defoe, no wonder Spurs turned down ??12 mil!

I can see him ending up at Liverpool, thats if they doent get Owen back!

What I'm saying is that Roberts proved a lot more ruthless in front of goal last season than Defoe ever has.

And I'm talking value for money:

Defoe: Overrated, quick, not a good finisher. Likely to cost over ??10M.

Roberts: 28, but a snip at around ??1.5M judging by last seasons form, and how well he should work via our style of play.

Roberts impressed me a lot last season. Still not his biggest fan, and he gets away with far too much the dirty pie-munching ****!

Better value, and more suited to our system.

2 big men up top ?? None capable of scoring more than 10 goals ???

I suppose you know what your talking about for once on this one, using Beatie and Drucken-disorderly as an example :D

Roberts didn't miss the sitters Defoe missed last season. I appreciate that Defoe does well to get into those positions, but then again I've always noticed that our very own great Dane Henrik Pedersen also gets into positions to score.

Roberts' goals last season often came from bursting runs outside the area. That's just what we could do with. A bit of pace rampaging into the box instead of going behind and hitting it into the box.

Roberts didn't miss the sitters Defoe missed last season. I appreciate that Defoe does well to get into those positions, but then again I've always noticed that our very own great Dane Henrik Pedersen also gets into positions to score.

Roberts' goals last season often came from bursting runs outside the area. That's just what we could do with. A bit of pace rampaging into the box instead of going behind and hitting it into the box.

And what has Roberts done in the 8 years of his career before last season (his only decent season) ???

Defoe scored more didnt he ?? In a poor season by his standards!!

I suppose you know what your talking about for once on this one, using Beatie and Drucken-disorderly as an example :D

Like it!!

=D>

And what has Roberts done in the 8 years of his career before last season (his only decent season) ???

What exactly did Lee Trundle do up until he was 25 exactly? Suprised you've not come in for him again this summer!

Roberts has been prolific every season of his career bar that one at West Brom in the Prem. Regardless of which league he is in. I'd say he is now in his prime, and certainly regarded by many at ??1.5M as a snip. Especially considering his form last season!

Neither player will guarantee goals, but Defoe is definitely not a ??12 million player; pace to burn but not a great finisher, and scores goals in patches. Roberts was much better than I expected last season but isn't a very good finisher either.

All depends what system Allardyce wants to play next season

What exactly did Lee Trundle do up until he was 25 exactly? Suprised you've not come in for him again this summer!

Roberts has been prolific every season of his career bar that one at West Brom in the Prem. Regardless of which league he is in. I'd say he is now in his prime, and certainly regarded by many at ??1.5M as a snip. Especially considering his form last season!

Trundle is a player some Evertonian want, just like you want Roberts.

But trundle is crap, never ever be good enough for the prem, and is same age as Robbie Fowler!!! We moved forward and went for Johson, last time I checked, so did you lot, so why go backwards now !?!?!

Roberts has never been "prolific" in the prem, he has been shipped out by every Club he has been at!

Infact, fcuk it......go on Sam sign him....will show that you dont want to move forward!

Trundle is a player some Evertonian want, just like you want Roberts.

But trundle is crap, never ever be good enough for the prem, and is same age as Robbie Fowler!!! We moved forward and went for Johson, last time I checked, so did you lot, so why go backwards now !?!?!

Roberts has never been "prolific" in the prem, he has been shipped out by every Club he has been at!

Infact, fcuk it......go on Sam sign him....will show that you dont want to move forward!

Don't half get wound up these Evertonians do they? :D

End of the day, this argument is about you defending Defoe. I'm not saying Defoe isn't worth a hell of a lot more than Roberts, but regarding value for money, Roberts would be ideal. Didn't you see him in the cup run last season which lead them to the final? Particularly against ourselves and Arsenal.

And considering you are saying that Roberts isn't a move forward as he doesn't score so much, I'd like to ask you how prolific Defoe has been over the years? The answer: He's never scored over 15 Prem goals.

England form: 15 caps, 1 goal.

If you look further up this thread I also said I wasn't Roberts biggest fan either, I was merely stating that he'd be better value than Defoe, and Defoe is overrated.

Wouldn't mid Defoe has got pace, alot of ability, can score you lots of goals but why talk about him. Why would he join us, for starters he would be too expensive for us and if anything how would we pay his wages, i think that some people might just of been on cloud 9, and Roberts would be a bad signing because he wouldnt cost us much so we can stregnthen other parts of the team.

Defoe is a goalscorer, Roberts is not!

I dont even understand why people are even mentioning him, surely Camara would be the more ideal player, to play with Davies ??

2 Big men doesnt work!

Defoe is only young!!

He is probably over priced at ??12 million, but Roberts is surely the wrong type of striker!

You dont loose out and Andy Johnson then go for a big man instead!!!

England form: 15 caps, 1 goal.

Defoe is overrated.

Agree with you but one thing is for sure, would have prefered Defoe coming on Saturday rather than Downing ](*,)

...but that is for a different discussion in a different part of the forum!

I dont even understand why people are even mentioning him, surely Camara would be the more ideal player, to play with Davies ??

2 Big men doesnt work!

Defoe is only young!!

He is probably over priced at ??12 million, but Roberts is surely the wrong type of striker!

Difference is the ''big man'' Roberts has pace. Just what we could do with. Defoe is only 4 years younger than Roberts, and neither are goalscorers, only Roberts will come ??10M cheaper.

No idea why we are having this argument to be honest. Never said Defoe wasn't better, just that he wouldn't come to us and Roberts is more realistic. And the reason why we are not ''taking a step forward after missing out on Johnson'' as you said, is that players for big money still aren't interested in joining 'little owd Bowton'.

You probably wouldn't understand though. 'Big club' mentality and all that. :D

2 Big men doesnt work!

Defoe is only young!!

Difference is the ''big man'' Roberts has pace. Just what we could do with. Defoe is only 4 years younger than Roberts, and neither are goalscorers, only Roberts will come ??10M cheaper.

No idea why we are having this argument to be honest. Never said Defoe wasn't better, just that he wouldn't come to us and Roberts is more realistic. And the reason why we are not ''taking a step forward after missing out on Johnson'' as you said, is that players for big money still aren't interested in joining 'little owd Bowton'.

You probably wouldn't understand though. 'Big club' mentality and all that. :D

We are huge you know....blah blah blah!!!

:D

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.