Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Blasts From The Past .....

One of the things about watching non-league football (apart from the fitness & commitment : I do worry about the Wanderers training sometimes) is that you never know who is going to turn up in the programme, if not on the pitch.

Droylsden V. Hinckley United (Blue Square North) last Thursday, who was in the programme but : Stuart Storer (defender [sic]), signed 2001, veteran of nearly 400 league games with Bolton (among others) and "who excelled in the role of sweeper". How times change !

Sadly he didn't make it onto the pitch.

Reminds me of back in 1990 when I went to a Vase quarter-final at Spalding United - attracted by the appearance of the home goalkeeper and the visitor's centre-forward (ah, the old days !). Home goalie was none other than Jim McDonagh, and the Guiseley CF was ......... wait for it ......... Frankie Worthington ! Ah, memories of them in their Bolton prime !

Some of you lot should get out a bit more and sample football away from the Wanderers when they haven't got a game - see how the other 95% live. It makes an interesting comparison sometimes, other times it's just p*ss-poor ...... but even then the pie/peas/gravy make it all worthwhile.

:blink:

that goal

was it v burnley or nobend?

a screamer

I think it was nobend, very early in the season if I remember. Didn't a certain michael Ricketts score that day, think either him or Rankin came on as a sub.

why the fcuk do i want to freeze my cock off watching bruisers hoof it far and wide

i dont like football, only bwfc

Well, Cas, the simple answer is : you do that at the Reebok.

<_<

Sounds like you'd be surprised at the quality & excitement you'd see at some (SOME !) of the non-league games if you went.

And congrats to Daisy Hill for beating AFC Liverpool today !

Been watching tin pot football all this season, and for the laughs ive had in these depressing times on the shit tips following non league, you cant beat it. You get to talk with all the players over a beer and a butty after the game, in some backwater you dont see on a coupon, its been a proper eye opener. Recommend it for any recession hit folk on here.

have had some good days out in the conference north watching solihull past couple of seasons. cheap(ish), occasional decent atmosphere, easy to get a decent pint and scran and i would imagine more goals/incidents per game on average

easy to get some aggro at half the grounds if your looking for it :blink:

couldn't watch it every week though, and even at this level there are out of town, soulless, cold, morgues full of moaning old gits!

have had some good days out in the conference north watching solihull past couple of seasons. cheap(ish), occasional decent atmosphere, easy to get a decent pint and scran and i would imagine more goals/incidents per game on average

easy to get some aggro at half the grounds if your looking for it :blink:

couldn't watch it every week though, and even at this level there are out of town, soulless, cold, morgues full of moaning old gits!

Back with your mates there, Whiteboy ?

:rofl:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.