Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

70's Terrace Wars

I was 11 when Man u came to Burnden I usually stood in the Lever end and would go to the match with a Farnworth lad who happened to live near me in L/H and had already seen quite a few away fans try to take the Lever and with little success, any how that day I think may parents were worried as Utd had a terrible reputation and decided that my cousins Boyfriend should take me he was in his 20s and a red, we had tickets in the Burnden seats, the one and only time I ever sat in there, the ground seemed to be full of Man U fans except for a few brave Bolton lads on the Lever end trying to defend there territory, my heart sunk as United fans began to get the upper hand, from that day on I have hated the red scum it burnt into my soulthe pain of being surrounded and humiliated by them, even today looking back 35 years later I rememeber how I felt that day it still hurts and I wish I could of been of use and old enough that day to have stood on the Lever end.

Regarding Oldham I went to all the games from the mid 70s and I dont remember them getting the upper hand, that article about the Bolton support and the passion our fans showed and the numbers who turned out sent a shiver down the back off my neck, for the younger lads today nothing can compare with the burning passion Bolton fans used to show in the 70s it was truly awe inspiring support, the Lever End was unbeliveable,I am thankful that I experienced that passion it still fuels my support to this day.

While I don't recall United at home in 74/5, I do recall 78/9 and 79/80 albeit fuzzily. The first of those was a Friday night game and I just remember the goals and the celebrations in the 3-0 win. I remember the second one better (we lost 1-3 after Neil Whatmore scored first). The rags fans took over the Manny Road North Terrace and I remember bits of pitch invasions from the Embankment before the start of the game. How did those two days play out? Any memories?

• Members

While I don't recall United at home in 74/5, I do recall 78/9 and 79/80 albeit fuzzily. The first of those was a Friday night game and I just remember the goals and the celebrations in the 3-0 win. I remember the second one better (we lost 1-3 after Neil Whatmore scored first). The rags fans took over the Manny Road North Terrace and I remember bits of pitch invasions from the Embankment before the start of the game. How did those two days play out? Any memories?

Great memories of the Friday night one (besides Gowlings brace).

Worked at the bottom end of Lever Street at the time and used to leg it into town at lunchtime. Been to Ye Olde Pastie Shoppe and was walking along Deansgate on way towards Newport Street.

Got to the Three Crowns and became aware of some commotion near Marks & Sparks. As I got nearer, one of a pair of well know BWFC following brothers from Tonge Fold is in the middle of the pelican crossing with a DMB in a headlock punching the shiyte out of him. Steel toe capped boot on anothers throat and two rolling around on the floor. Traffic stopped but most shoppers going about their business with a 'tut' as though this was a regular if inconvenient occurrence :D

As far as the game was concerned, seemed like a very low number of followers for them and they were pretty subdued. That seasons double over the filthy b?stards remains one of my all time favourite BWFC memories. Especially the away match!

Worked at the bottom end of Lever Street at the time and used to leg it into town at lunchtime. Been to Ye Olde Pastie Shoppe and was walking along Deansgate on way towards Newport Street.

Got to the Three Crowns and became aware of some commotion near Marks & Sparks. As I got nearer, one of a pair of well know BWFC following brothers from Tonge Fold is in the middle of the pelican crossing with a DMB in a headlock punching the shiyte out of him. Steel toe capped boot on anothers throat and two rolling around on the floor. Traffic stopped but most shoppers going about their business with a 'tut' as though this was a regular if inconvenient occurrence :D

As far as the game was concerned, seemed like a very low number of followers for them and they were pretty subdued. That seasons double over the filthy b?stards remains one of my all time favourite BWFC memories. Especially the away match!

I wasn't at the away match as such a youngster but I remember the sense of dread when the bloke on the radio said there'd been a late goal at Old Trafford .... but then they went over to the ground and there was a wonderful three second pause before the reporter spoke, and all you could hear was the distant chants of the Wanderers fans. Magic moment.

The 3-0 win at Burnden was never in doubt we played them of the park and was revenge for that dark day when they swamped Burnden a few years earlier, this time United had the big half of the Embankment very soon after half time it was half empty as the red scum knew there was no way back, the away game I travelled with 4 very well known brothers fom LH 3 of whom later became top names in Man U hooligan circles and who continued in the same vein until very recently, the other brother married my sister and is still a decent lad, any how we all went into the scoreboard end, the 4 Man U lads kept reasonably quiet as there was plenty of Bolton there that night, quite a few LH Reds were in the Scoreboard and I think they got turfed out into the Scoreboard Paddock before they got a beating, all the same they were game trying it on. When Frankie scored the winner I was bubbling inside but being a little fearful of a slap from the brothers I kept quiet, what a night that was, unfortunately the next season they got revenge and our following at OT was very small, I would say no more that 4-500 penned into the centre section of the Scorebaoard, we never troubled them that day and was a day I like to forget.

Edited by Mounts Kipper

• Members

I wasn't at the away match as such a youngster but I remember the sense of dread when the bloke on the radio said there'd been a late goal at Old Trafford .... but then they went over to the ground and there was a wonderful three second pause before the reporter spoke, and all you could hear was the distant chants of the Wanderers fans. Magic moment.

Magic moment!!!??? Seriously, I became so over excited I blacked out! The game was over by the time me mate revived me :D From first being a Bolton fan, I dreamed about seeing us beat those bastards at their place one day. The ultimate. When it happened, it was too much to take.

A good mate of mine was the son of the Wanderers Secretary (and former player) so, for once, we were in the Directors Box with a load of well to do Cheshire Stockbroker Belt DMB's. We had given the fookers hell throughout the game but my abiding memory will be as I fully came round just after the final whistle and the oxygen finally hit the brain, some Nellie Pickles type tart with a million dollar mink coat and smudged lipstick in the row behind me says to me 'that's all you lot care about isn't it - beating us?'

With a calm assuredness and no emotion whatsoever, I leaned towards her and quietly and simply said 'Yes'. You had to be there I suppose - her face was a classic.

Magic moment!!!??? Seriously, I became so over excited I blacked out! The game was over by the time me mate revived me :D From first being a Bolton fan, I dreamed about seeing us beat those bastards at their place one day. The ultimate. When it happened, it was too much to take.

A good mate of mine was the son of the Wanderers Secretary (and former player) so, for once, we were in the Directors Box with a load of well to do Cheshire Stockbroker Belt DMB's. We had given the fookers hell throughout the game but my abiding memory will be as I fully came round just after the final whistle and the oxygen finally hit the brain, some Nellie Pickles type tart with a million dollar mink coat and smudged lipstick in the row behind me says to me 'that's all you lot care about isn't it - beating us?'

With a calm assuredness and no emotion whatsoever, I leaned towards her and quietly and simply said 'Yes'. You had to be there I suppose - her face was a classic.

Duncan?

• Members

Duncan?

Correct sir. Great lad. Played football together at Bullough Fasteners for a good while.

He hopped it to Botswana but I hear he's back in Blighty and possibly a London White?

Edited by bolty58

From first being a Bolton fan, I dreamed about seeing us beat those bastards at their place one day. The ultimate. When it happened, it was too much to take.

A

Dreamed about it you JCL. When I started watching Bolton we never lost to Utd. Beat them home and away.

The 3-0 win at Burnden was never in doubt we played them of the park and was revenge for that dark day when they swamped Burnden a few years earlier, this time United had the big half of the Embankment very soon after half time it was half empty as the red scum knew there was no way back, the away game I travelled with 4 very well known brothers fom LH 3 of whom later became top names in Man U hooligan circles and who continued in the same vein until very recently, the other brother married my sister and is still a decent lad, any how we all went into the scoreboard end, the 4 Man U lads kept reasonably quiet as there was plenty of Bolton there that night, quite a few LH Reds were in the Scoreboard and I think they got turfed out into the Scoreboard Paddock before they got a beating, all the same they were game trying it on. When Frankie scored the winner I was bubbling inside but being a little fearful of a slap from the brothers I kept quiet, what a night that was, unfortunately the next season they got revenge and our following at OT was very small, I would say no more that 4-500 penned into the centre section of the Scorebaoard, we never troubled them that day and was a day I like to forget.

Now you mention it I do recall them being given the bit of the Embankment next to the Manny Road as opposed to the usual arrangement of away fans being in the third of the terrace next to the Paddock. (probably the first time that had happened, it was reasonably regular in years to follow, especially in the Second Division between 80-83 and usually when Blackburn visited).

As I said earlier, I remember them taking over the Manny Road North in Spring 1980 (our second in the top flight). Can't remember if they had the whole of the Embankment as well.

I remember Neil Whatmore's goal that day very well - don't remember any of theirs.

Classic tale from the 3-0 on Dec 22 1979 that I can recall is one of their fans appearing at the back of the Manny Road North stand, spouting loudly about how Gordon McQueen was the best centre half in the world (always has to be the best in the world with them, all part of the sheer conceit). 35 mins later and Frank had made a mug of McQueen on several occasions and the Rag had skulked off in to another part of the stand.

As I said earlier, I remember them taking over the Manny Road North in Spring 1980 (our second in the top flight). Can't remember if they had the whole of the Embankment as well.

They had all the big bit plus half of the no-man's land between that end the very end section. Between that and the Manny Road there must have been 15k of the bastards there :angry:

Correct sir. Great lad. Played football together at Bullough Fasteners for a good while.

He hopped it to Botswana but I hear he's back in Blighty and possibly a London White?

He used to drive us all over the place in his orange VW beetle, free tickets were in plentiful supply, he has lived in London for a good few years now, I used to meet him and his lads at London away games, I got them tickets for the Middlesbrough final, his dad was club secretary for many many years and they couldn't sort him a couple of tickets out.

I remember Athywhite leading the charge at Rotherham,Correct me Athywhite if Im wrong) he continued whilst the others remained, hence a beating for the gallant lone hero. We were in another section of the ground where I and a pal got arrested that day.

Does anyone remember the Chelsea fan decked by a steaming hot pie at the Manny road terrace side. He and his accomplices were enroute to the Lever End when a Bolton fan jumped the fence to launch his secret weapon bringing the poor lad to the ground.

Halifax in the 70s not long after getting off the special train a Bolton fan lobbed a full pint of milk against a Bus window, we were met not just by the Halifax crew but Bradford also who joined forces. Im sure I could write a book on the activities of Bolton men in the 70s.

Around 1977/78 I got a proper good hiding at Chelsea, we won 1-0 thanks to a Graham Wilkins OG, I'm sure it was early December, anyway I only got home on Monday as I was kept in hospital all weekend 'for observation', later in the season we were queuing round the back of the Lever End when all we could hear was, "Chelsea this, Chelsea that, we've took this end" folk were backing off him as though he was untouchable, I launched into him screaming like a banshee, he had about 6 earrings in his ear, I ripped the lot out, he didn;t half scream, of course once he was down every fucker wanted a kick, as the cops came I just walked off with a bloody hand and part of his ear in my pocket. :pardon:

• Site Supporter

Around 1977/78 I got a proper good hiding at Chelsea, we won 1-0 thanks to a Graham Wilkins OG, I'm sure it was early December, anyway I only got home on Monday as I was kept in hospital all weekend 'for observation', later in the season we were queuing round the back of the Lever End when all we could hear was, "Chelsea this, Chelsea that, we've took this end" folk were backing off him as though he was untouchable, I launched into him screaming like a banshee, he had about 6 earrings in his ear, I ripped the lot out, he didn;t half scream, of course once he was down every fucker wanted a kick, as the cops came I just walked off with a bloody hand and part of his ear in my pocket. :pardon:

animal..

Nowts fuckin altered then Rick eh? si thi it tharms soon.

That day at Rotherham when it were kicking off, one of our lot, real name Bob Hope, was actually a Mackem but married an Atherton wench, he used to come to a lot of games with us, usually for the fight, he got nicked and the cops wouldn't believe his name was Bob Hope, he remembered that a certain Marco Gabbiadini had just come onto the scene so he told the cops that was his name, thank you they said, about time you told us the truth. Next morning upon release they gave him his possessions back in a sealed bag with the name on the front - Marco Gabbiadini.

• Members

He used to drive us all over the place in his orange VW beetle, free tickets were in plentiful supply, he has lived in London for a good few years now, I used to meet him and his lads at London away games, I got them tickets for the Middlesbrough final, his dad was club secretary for many many years and they couldn't sort him a couple of tickets out.

:D That fooking beetle! Four of us went to England v Scotland at Wembley in '78 (I think?) in it. A couple of right loons in our number. We won 3-1 with goals from Keegan, Barnes and Brooking (?) after they went up 1-0 through John Wark.

Crates in that beetle and we were all half cut by Brum at about 9am. So many incidents but the jocks just didn't know what to make of us. The only one who came anywhere near us was a kid of about 10 who walked up to me near a stadium bar and said 'Ya prick'. That was it - all day. I suppose they thought 4 England fans in that sea of tartan pisstanks must be mad fookers and didn't fancy being first in. They weren't far off in a couple of cases.

Made the mistake of parking at Stanmore and training it to Wembley. Stupid skirt wearing tossers were on the railway line after the game so the power had to be shut off. Walk back to Stanmore sobered us up.

:D That fooking beetle! Four of us went to England v Scotland at Wembley in '78 (I think?) in it. A couple of right loons in our number. We won 3-1 with goals from Keegan, Barnes and Brooking (?) after they went up 1-0 through John Wark.

Crates in that beetle and we were all half cut by Brum at about 9am. So many incidents but the jocks just didn't know what to make of us. The only one who came anywhere near us was a kid of about 10 who walked up to me near a stadium bar and said 'Ya prick'. That was it - all day. I suppose they thought 4 England fans in that sea of tartan pisstanks must be mad fookers and didn't fancy being first in. They weren't far off in a couple of cases.

Made the mistake of parking at Stanmore and training it to Wembley. Stupid skirt wearing tossers were on the railway line after the game so the power had to be shut off. Walk back to Stanmore sobered us up.

We went to Southampton, Plymouth, Sheffield, both Nottinghams, I think he always charged us ?2 each for petrol,

I'm assuming you know the Lythgoe twins?

• Members

We went to Southampton, Plymouth, Sheffield, both Nottinghams, I think he always charged us ?2 each for petrol,

I'm assuming you know the Lythgoe twins?

I know loads from round there matey. Played football around that area for a good while. Can't remember all of their names now apart from a few. Those two may have come to Cardiff with us one year when it was fun and games all day. Just when we thought we could relax on the way home and, after driving through Newport and one Athy lad hitting a local lad in the b0llocks with a flying pie, we called in a pub in Ross On Wye and a pile of Jacks came in on their way back from somewhere. All cordial as it turned out but some funny incidents. Same pie mon asked for pork pie and chips in the chippy next to the pub and the bird threw a frozen one in the chip fat :D The look on his face was priceless.

• Members

Lots of great memories in this thread. Awesome times.

I wouldn't fancy doing it now though! :)

Says Mr. Yellow Ben Sherman whose favorite trick was jumping into no mans land and offering to take em all on (until getting a thick ear from the OB) :D

Thinking about it, yer right V. Glad we experienced all that though. You can't scratch yer b0llocks in public now without some eye in the sky monitoring your every move.

Edited by bolty58

It was not so much the violence for me,but when some mob came running at you and you stood your ground, you could see the ones at the front did not fancy it and others overtook them you Knew if the ones at the front got "shoed" the rest would fuck off.There is no drug could give you "that" feeling when you think your gonna get royally twated and you end up back at the car,van or coach unscathed and laughing like someone off K2.

I alway`s remember the game at Liverpool in 79, Dave Clement had just signed for us from QPR. We drew 0-0 that night and a particular Scouser had been giving us grief all night. The same scruffy bastard seemed to be following us back to the car which we parked well away from Anfield. A group had gathered which included this particular scouser and were throwing insults at us along the way. Just as they were gonna start to have a go at us we ran accross the road followed by the group, just as we were running we heard one hell of a thud, one of them got hit by a car, we stopped running and went back for a look, not too sure which one of them but he was covered in blood. We just walked back to the car. Never did find out what happened to the poor scouse twat.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.