Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

70's Terrace Wars

0,,1004~573225,00.jpg

After problem with crowd invasions, Burnden Park greeted supporters for the 1977/78 season with 8 ft high fences behind each of the goals.

I scaled the ones in the Paddocks a few times over the years!

have I imagined this, or did they take the 'spikes' off the top of the fences in the latter years?

No mate, that was 'The Treatment'. Have a good mate down here who was one of em. Funnily enough, away from football, the two mobs didn't get on. Local rivalries, Bermondsey v Peckham or summat.

yes it was treatment remember were i saw it panorama program found it on you tube treatment had the masks and f troop were the nutters harry the dog

Edited by Farnywhite

0,,1004~573225,00.jpg

After problem with crowd invasions, Burnden Park greeted supporters for the 1977/78 season with 8 ft high fences behind each of the goals.

I scaled the ones in the Paddocks a few times over the years!

ah, fair enough - I'd forgotten that the ends were done first.

Reason I asked was I was trying to think when it was we played Sheff Wed and a sight I'll never forget - 3 of their lot escaping over the Paddock fence but one was too slow. So the poor sod ended up with his mates trying to pull him over and Bolton fans tring to pull him back, including one bloke lamping him with a crash helmet! Daft sod was lucky not to get impaled.

Another one I remember was playing Arsenal and some cocky cockneys getting lead by the police along in front of the Paddock back to the away end. One was giving it large but then looked distinctly less full of himself when a milk crate got lobbed over and hit in square in the mush :D

have I imagined this, or did they take the 'spikes' off the top of the fences in the latter years?

We won the old 2nd division in 77/78, & I don't remember them being up then.

On the Paddock I mean.

Edited by wackerchackers

Thanks for the great memories!

One thing that's bugged me for ages was a sunny saturday late 80's in Southend where there were loads in the away open terrace behind the goal. Shed loads sat down through the first half then invaded the pitch at half time into the home end behind the other goal. That end emptied rapid.

To this day never found out who that lot were or why they were there?

Anyone?

It was the 1st day of the season, me and the mate caught the train and was thinking we would be the first wave in town, no, the place was hammered with Bolton fans who set off the night before in loads of tranny vans.A mate from L/H who had been arrested, had to make four visits to the courts in Southend.

Thanks for the great memories!

One thing that's bugged me for ages was a sunny saturday late 80's in Southend where there were loads in the away open terrace behind the goal. Shed loads sat down through the first half then invaded the pitch at half time into the home end behind the other goal. That end emptied

rapid.

To this day never found out who that lot were or why they were there?

Anyone?

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=GB#/watch?v=6bFiexw270Y

This one?

Guest Blixa

wonder what happened to harry the dog ? there is some funny sights on that vid people stood on the terraces wearing blankets dont think you will see that today .

He died some years back.

the one thing that sticks in my mind when we played millwall at home around that time when they were making a name for them selfs was turning up at burnden park before kick off and they had sprayed millwall in big letters on the wall of the manny road next to were the old club shop was dont remember much of the game though if there there was any trouble . did anyone on here ever go to there old ground cold blow lane been to the new den and thats in a shit hole but some chelsea fans i know recon the old ground was an experience

Edited by Farnywhite

the one thing that sticks in my mind when we played millwall at home around that time when they were making a name for them selfs was turning up at burnden park before kick off and they had sprayed millwall in big letters on the wall of the manny road next to were the old club shop was dont remember much of the game though if there there was any trouble . did anyone on here ever go to there old ground cold blow lane been to the new den and thats in a shit hole but some chelsea fans i know recon the old ground was an experience

I think every ground in the land had"MAT BWFC" daubed all over it.

• Site Supporter

Just because it was raining too.

You're right. I seem to recall they started off in the Embankment, as was the norm, and the coppers led them round the cinders into the Lever End.

• Site Supporter

We won the old 2nd division in 77/78, & I don't remember them being up then.

On the Paddock I mean.

I can confirm that the year we went up as champs (79) I scaled the fence at the embankment.

See previous post when we had the windows of our coach done in. Cant remember the year, but we lost 5-2 after Jeff Chandler had given us the lead. There was just one more coach, apart from ours, which went from the Albion, full of not-rights. Those were the days!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.