Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Official Boxing Thread...

gonzo

If it's proper boxing rules which it is by all accounts, I don't actually mind it 

I'd rather him face a massive puncher like Ngannou than face bums like chisora and the likes again 

If he does get caught he won't be getting up like he did against Wilder, (massive if) 

Only fights I'm interested in with Fury is Usyk & Joshua who are both tied up 

Crack on and make a few quid 

Just hope it doesn't turn into exhibition bollocks 

• Site Supporter
16 hours ago, royal white said:

Honestly couldn’t say. If I had to go with one of them it would be Crawford. Just. 

Always been a big Crawford fan myself but this is definitely too close to call. It's great to see the respect they have for each other, no bullshit needed to sell this one. 

• Site Supporter
18 hours ago, royal white said:

“Into disrepute” 😂

It's only my opinion. The current Heavyweight Champion of the World fighting someone who hasn't fought a single round as a professional boxer, rather than defending his title. Surely you don't think that's good for the reputation of the sport? I don't blame him for making as much money as possible while he can, but if that's the road he wants to go down he should relinquish the belts. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Cheese

46 minutes ago, Cheese said:

It's only my opinion. The current Heavyweight Champion of the World fighting someone who hasn't fought a single round as a professional boxer, rather than defending his title. Surely you don't think that's good for the reputation of the sport? I don't blame him for making as much money as possible while he can, but if that's the road he wants to go down he should relinquish the belts. 🤷‍♂️

That’s on the WBC to sort out along with the promoters. In the mean time he has to keep fit and active and earn money so what better way to do it.

Edited by royal white

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, royal white said:

That’s on the WBC to sort out along with the promoters. I’m the mean time he has to keep fit and active and earn money so what better way to do it.

I agree. I just think it reflects badly on the sport side of things. Pro boxers fighting Youtubers and MMA stars is turning it into an even bigger circus than it already was.

Edited by Cheese

1 minute ago, Cheese said:

I agree. I just think it reflects badly on the sport side of things. Pro boxers fighting Youtubers and MMA stars is turning it into an even bigger circus than it already was.

Many MMA stars have turned pro at boxing and vice versa. There’s a chance this man can be a lot better than some in the top 50. In most cases it’s the organisations who are to blame. 

• Site Supporter
16 minutes ago, royal white said:

That’s on the WBC to sort out along with the promoters. In the mean time he has to keep fit and active and earn money so what better way to do it.

Having listened to interviews with  the promoters, Warren, Hearn and Usyk's promoter whose name I can't remember I think it's down to the fighters. As much as I like Fury, and followed him from the start, he does seem to be the stumbling block in making the fights, Wilder excluded. This fight is a farce along the lines of Mayweather/ McGregor surely. Even if Fury ends up getting knocked out, which he won't as he'll not get hit. 

4 minutes ago, Alf Hartigan said:

Having listened to interviews with  the promoters, Warren, Hearn and Usyk's promoter whose name I can't remember I think it's down to the fighters. As much as I like Fury, and followed him from the start, he does seem to be the stumbling block in making the fights, Wilder excluded. This fight is a farce along the lines of Mayweather/ McGregor surely. Even if Fury ends up getting knocked out, which he won't as he'll not get hit. 

If it was solely down to him Then surely the WBC would strip him, everyone blames each other in this game. 

Is he doing anything different than a snooker player/tennis player/darts player/ etc when they play in exhibition bouts? 

• Site Supporter
24 minutes ago, royal white said:

Many MMA stars have turned pro at boxing and vice versa. There’s a chance this man can be a lot better than some in the top 50. In most cases it’s the organisations who are to blame. 

His debut fight is againt the Heavyweight Champion of the World though. In Saudi Arabia. It stinks.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, royal white said:

If it was solely down to him Then surely the WBC would strip him, everyone blames each other in this game. 

Is he doing anything different than a snooker player/tennis player/darts player/ etc when they play in exhibition bouts? 

No, like I said, I like Fury, he's been great, just a gut feeling I get after listening to all the various interviews and none are shy at coming forward, boxers or promoters. 

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, royal white said:

I understand where you're coming from, but yes - there is a massive difference. Snooker/Tennis/Darts players don't have to go into months-long training camps before a single game. They compete on a weekly basis, if not daily. And there isn't a single player who holds all the titles and could lose them all to a rival in one match. Fury would be fighting Usyk if he had any integrity. He's clearly sold out, which is entirely understandable, but it is a poor look for the sport as a whole.

6 minutes ago, Cheese said:

I understand where you're coming from, but yes - there is a massive difference. Snooker/Tennis/Darts players don't have to go into months-long training camps before a single game. They compete on a weekly basis, if not daily. And there isn't a single player who holds all the titles and could lose them all to a rival in one match. Fury would be fighting Usyk if he had any integrity. He's clearly sold out, which is entirely understandable, but it is a poor look for the sport as a whole.

They’re not fighting for titles and it’s likely never going to be the case. It’s basically a spare time bout like other sportsmen do. If he’s clearly sold out why haven’t the WBC stripped him as they’re losing out on a big scale.

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, royal white said:

They’re not fighting for titles and it’s likely never going to be the case. It’s basically a spare time bout like other sportsmen do. If he’s clearly sold out why haven’t the WBC stripped him as they’re losing out on a big scale.

I have no idea why the WBC haven't stripped him. I would. You know a LOT more about the sport than I do though. I just find it disappointing that the best in the game would rather fight a debutant for a payday than an actual contender for the belts.

Edited by Cheese

1 minute ago, Cheese said:

I have no idea why the WBC haven't stripped him. I would. You know a LOT more about the sport than I do though. I just think it's a disappointing that the best in the game would rather fight a debutant for a payday than an actual contender for the belts.

tbf as far as I can tell he tried to make the fights with both Usyk and Joshua 

2 minutes ago, Cheese said:

I have no idea why the WBC haven't stripped him. I would. You know a LOT more about the sport than I do though. I just find it disappointing that the best in the game would rather fight a debutant for a payday than an actual contender for the belts.

I’m sure he’d rather fight someone in the top 5 but none of us on here no the real reason why this hasn’t happened. In the mean time heres 40/50 million why you’re waiting. 

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, L/H White said:

tbf as far as I can tell he tried to make the fights with both Usyk and Joshua 

They all speak a lot, but if they really wanted it, it would've happened by now. I like Fury btw. I agree with Royalwhite that it's more about money than sport, which is fine. I just find it all very cynical.

2 minutes ago, Cheese said:

They all speak a lot, but if they really wanted it, it would've happened by now. I like Fury btw. I agree with Royalwhite that it's more about money than sport, which is fine. I just find it all very cynical.

Agree. Would have preferred to see v Usyk/ Joshua. Still think the Usyk fight happens. No way Joshua accepts imo

Fury can fuck off for me and so can Frank Warren the massive bullshitter.

Fury could end this MMA dude in one round, likewise the other way.

Theres 50 boxers he couldve fought who have boxed all their lives to have the chance to fight at the very top.

Its absolute bullshit and makes mockery of what is meant to be a sport. 

Its prizefighting, not sport. This guy isnt in there on sporting merit. 

Ive backed Fury for years but hes shown himself up over the past two years.

In realty hes only fought Klit and Wilder x3. Nowhere near a legacy fighter.

Imagine him and Warren if Usyk or AJ were taking this on? 

The guy is heavyweight champion of the world ffs. Its pathetic.