Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

World Cup - Day 5 (16/6/14)

Guest bwfcdan

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bwfcdan

how many of that 250 million give a fcuk?

How many of the 125,000 are particularly interested in football rather than a chance to sample a World Cup atmosphere in Brazil?

Guest bwfcdan

a bigger percentage than the percentage of the population of the us who even know theres a world cup going on

Meh, it's all ifs and buts. Going off images of fan parks in America watching the game last night, and the amount of tweets on Twitter, many Americans are interested in the World Cup.

Considering America has 250 million more people than England, a far greater feat is from us being allocated 50,000+ tickets.

The MLS had only been established the year before they last staged the World Cup. We've had over 100 years head start.

Guest bwfcdan

The MLS had only been established the year before they last staged the World Cup. We've had over 100 years head start.

And?

It's a relatively new sport for them. I thought that much was obvious from my previous comment.

In one aspect you are correct, this incarnation of MLS is new, but football is not, and in the mid 70's to early 80's a lot of the ageing football stars of the time went to the US to finish their careers off ( sound familiar)

Also remember the US beat England in the 1950 world cup,

Guest bwfcdan

It's a relatively new sport for them. I thought that much was obvious from my previous comment.

No it isn't. MLS has meant football in America has taken in more recognition from around the world. But then again, it's no different to the Premier League. Since it's formation, it's seen average crowds increase across the country. In fact, last season was the highest averages in top flight football since 1950.

No it isn't. MLS has meant football in America has taken in more recognition from around the world. But then again, it's no different to the Premier League. Since it's formation, it's seen average crowds increase across the country. In fact, last season was the highest averages in top flight football since 1950.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make anymore. One minute you're slagging them off for not really being interested in football, the next you're telling us how crowds are increasing across the country.

• Moderators

they beat us in the World Cup in 1950

anyway, it's besides the point

who gives a fuck who takes the most fans

just makes you sound like a west ham fan

who gives a fuck who takes the most fans

just makes you sound like a west ham fan

Who said it was about who takes the most fans? In fact i don't even know why it's even relevant to compare how many tickets England sold. The point being made is that football is a growing sport in the U.S. and that is reflected in their support at this tournament. It would be difficult to make that point without referencing the increasing interest in the game over there.

Guest bwfcdan

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make anymore. One minute you're slagging them off for not really being interested in football, the next you're telling us how crowds are increasing across the country.

Again, no. Not once slagged them off, you raised the point on the American crowds and i used that to complement the English support.

Again, no. Not once slagged them off

You asked how many of those who'd travelled to Brazil 'are particularly interested in football'. If that's not slagging them off for not being interested in football i don't know what is.

Guest bwfcdan

You asked how many of those who'd travelled to Brazil 'are particularly interested in football'. If that's not slagging them off for not being interested in football i don't know what is.

How on earth is that slagging them off, it's just like saying how many of the folk that go to the Ally Pally to watch the World Championships are particularly interested in the darts. Some just go for the party atmosphere, there's nothing wrong with that. Slagging them off, Jesus wept...

How on earth is that slagging them off, it's just like saying how many of the folk that go to the Ally Pally to watch the World Championships are particularly interested in the darts. Some just go for the party atmosphere, there's nothing wrong with that. Slagging them off, Jesus wept...

The whole point of the discussion is that football is growing in popularity in the States. if you respond by questioning how many of those that travelled to Brazil are actually interested in football, whilst at the same time belittling the numbers that travelled by comparing it to our support as if it's some sort of cock-waving contest, i think it's safe to say you're not being complimentary. 

Edited by COYW

Guest bwfcdan

The whole point of the discussion is that football is growing in popularity in the States. if you respond by questioning how many of those that travelled to Brazil are actually interested in football, whilst at the same time belittling the numbers that travelled by comparing it to our support as if it's some sort of cock-waving contest, i think it's safe to say you're not being complimentary.

Which I acknowledged. Like I said before, I used your point to complement the English support. With regards to 'cock-waving', you mentioned giving the US the 2022 World Cup on the back of the support they have in Brazil.

Anyway, this debate peaked long ago. Get back to enjoying Clark Carlisle's punditry.

• Moderators

christ this is hard work

you were starting to go on about fans per capita and levels of interest to make our following sound better

i.e. banging on about followings and who takes the most and who takes the best

so i said, who gives a fuck about how many anyone takes, because you sound like a west ham fan, because that's what they do

Guest bwfcdan

christ this is hard work

you were starting to go on about fans per capita and levels of interest to make our following sound better

i.e. banging on about followings and who takes the most and who takes the best

so i said, who gives a fuck about how many anyone takes, because you sound like a west ham fan, because that's what they do

I'm joking with you, you big tart! Hence, the 'comical' picture!

mhg2gi.jpg

Edited by bwfcdan

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.