Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Vietnam

Zico

Vietnam is a great country. My route as Ho Chi Minh - Dalat - Hoi An - Hanoi

I would recommend Hoi An, it's absolutely stunning, especially in the evening when the lanterns are all lit up down the river. It's also a place where they can make you absolutely anything, I had 2 pairs of trainers made for about £10. Also good for tailored shirts/suits.

Eat lots of Pho by the little stalls by the road, try the Viatmanese iced offee it's made with condensed milk and it's lethal! Drink the local Bia Hoi which is basically fresh beer that they make in their kitchens and sell on the street at about 20p a pop (although it gives you a massive headache, it's worth it for the experience).

I thought Dalat was quite boring, it's essentially a tourist resort for the well off natives.

Also the Vietnam War Museum is a must!

• Moderators

It's really easy to get around. Are you hoping to do some travelling or stay put? I thought the central and northern parts were more interesting than Saigon. Hanoi especially is nuts! If you're feeling adventurous, there are loads of motorbike tours where you can go inland with a guide. Cost about £20 per day and gets you off the beaten track and into the heartland. Awesome place, lovely people and the best food you'll ever eat. And wait till you try their coffee!

something along these lines

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/vietnam/tours/small-group-tours/classic-vietnam-hanoi-ho-chi-minh-city

going to fly to Ho Chi Min though

and more than likely go to Hanoi

and then whatever is good inbetween

cheers for the responses so far, v helpful

We did Hanoi - Ha Long Bay - back to Hanoi for night sleeper train - Hue - Hoi An - Saigon. Wanted to get to Sapa but didn't have enough time.

Sounds very similar to us, when did you go, any advice?

Ta

We went late November, returning in December. Weather was pretty good, around in Hanoi and over 30c in the south. The only rain we had was near Hue when we were visiting some old battle sites and tunnels etc.

What are the visa options

Seem like a bureaucratic puzzle?I took the visa

I took the visa on arrival option and sorted it via our hotel. There was some fee to pay on arrival at Hanoi airport but it was straight forward to sort out. I think we had to pay in US Dollars, that may have changed by now?

I took the visa on arrival option and sorted it via our hotel. There was some fee to pay on arrival at Hanoi airport but it was straight forward to sort out. I think we had to pay in US Dollars, that may have changed by now?

Easiest thing to do is obtain what is called a letter of invitation from your travel provide. This isn't a visa, its a fast track method of securing your visa upon arrival.

In and out of Ho Chi Minh is the cheapest option.

I'd do as you said and have a few nights in HMC, it's a brilliant introduction to Vietnam, then fly north and use the train. It's slow but fucking ace.

IMO you need a min of 3 weeks to do a good spread of places but in a busy two weeks you could HMC, Hanoi, Sapa, Hoi An.

Fuck trying to do Thailand too, it's expensive and past it's best in terms of travelling experience. I'd be more tempted to nip over to Cambodia and see Ankor Wat.