Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Testicular Cancer

itdiddidit?

Watched a programme about 6 weeks ago regarding TC. I checked myself on the back of this.

Found a lump and decided not to waste the docs time as it was proably gristle like my mates was.

Head in sand for around 3 weeks then under pressure from missus I make a docs appointment.

There then follows a bit of a whirlwind few days of ultrasound appointments and

hospital appointments then I was in for surgery last Friday. NHS have been nothing but superb very humbling

to experience their passion and skills in dealing with this for me. They even gave me a prothesis bollock.

I didn't really want to be posting about my bollocks on the internet but there loads of blx written on here.

I have lost all inhibitions I may have had having had to get my blx out so many times in the last few weeks

but if I can tell you and you tell your mates to check your bollocks and it helps one person I've a positive

out of this.

If it hadn't been for that programme I would be sat here completely unaware, as shit like this doesn't

happen to the likes of me. As it is I'm in a bit of post op pain and I have to go to Christies in a few

weeks for CT scan and follow up checks to see if its spread but I'm here and have hopefully caught this

early. If you don't check though you'll never know!

My lump was within the bollock, nothing giving me a clue staring at me and I had no symptoms either,

in fact I'd never felt fitter. The idea is you catch this early so if you don't mind get your hands down

below and have a squeeze tonight and then maybe once a month moving forward.

Lecture over thanks for reading.

Fair play putting this on here, I've just checked I bet loads have reading this. Good luck with recovery

• 2 months later...

Just thought i'd post an update on here as I don't get to see everyone who knows me on a regular basis.

It was a great relief to find out earlier this week after a long wait for my scan that I've been very fortunate and caught the big C early and it's not spread elsewhere which was my big worry.

I've a couple of tests to undergo at Christies and then one bout of chemo there which will reduce the chance of it coming back from 20% as it currently stands to 5% so great result all round.

I put on a brave face on the outside but still had a few worrying moments where my mind was racing about the place normally at night when everyone was asleep. But within I have had a genuine inner warmth and strength that was due to the phenomenal support all round from family, friends and also the messages from people on here, many of whom I've never met. If you're ever in doubt whether to contact someone who's got something going on with a message I'd say do so, as it helps so much, strength in numbers/problem shared etc. 

Moving on check your blx on a regular basis at least once a month. I'll certainly be checking my one real blk from now on. It's got to know the new lad next to it and they appear to be getting on okay. I'll be doing some charity event in the next year to raise awareness about this and will post on here when doing so.      

I won't blether on any more. Just a big massive thank you for all the support you've given.

Proud to be a Wanderer hope to see a few of you out today for a jar.

COYWM