Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Cricket World Cup 2019

Smiley

Just now, bwfcfan5 said:

De grandhomme not going for much more than two an over sums this up. Different pitch different day and we’d have taken him for 80 comfortably. 

A poor man's Mark Ealham - even on a minefield this is a poor show.

Not enormously bothered by the world cup as an event, but the prospect of seeing the 2 Kiwi's I manage in the office tomorrow feels pretty grim if we don't step up.

All on Buttler now. He’s not had a great time with the bat but he’s one player, probably one of the few who potentially could win the game from here. Worry is there isn’t much behind him who will score runs in these conditions against this bowling. 

Problem is that run rate will be too high for last 20 overs...on this pitch you just aren’t whacking NZ around. Stokes and Buttler really need to up rate now get us ahead. If they don’t take the risk now I fear you end up with Woakes and Plunkett needing 8 an over which just isn’t happening. 

2 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

Problem is that run rate will be too high for last 20 overs...on this pitch you just aren’t whacking NZ around. Stokes and Buttler really need to up rate now get us ahead. If they don’t take the risk now I fear you end up with Woakes and Plunkett needing 8 an over which just isn’t happening. 

50-60 off the next 10, but not losing any wickets, should seal it

Kiwi commentator complaining it's an English commentary box?1? I hope Sky learn from using an ICC mandated list of commentators in future as this has been real hard work listening to the Kiwi's wet themselves and the rest of the world pile on whilst our lot try to play a straight bat

4 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

New Zealand scored 62 off last ten. Reckon 70 max. Leave more than that and it’s too tough unless Buttler and Stokes bat all way through and play an innings nobody else has yet managed.

You've already explained where we lost it, there's surely nothing these 2 can do to salvage the mess Woakes and Archer made of this for us

😛

Lovely from Buttler - right to start going a bit harder now and give ourselves 2 bites of the cherry if we lose a wicket, rather than playing Dhoni style and letting it all fall on 1 last push.

72 off the last 10 with a few batsmen left

2 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

Could do with one really good over

aye, or at least start to find a few more boundaries. From this position it would be criminal to end up 238/6

Wouldn't mind Plunkett in next if it comes to it, he's normally good value for quick runs or a quick out

20 minutes ago, maaarsh said:

You've already explained where we lost it, there's surely nothing these 2 can do to salvage the mess Woakes and Archer made of this for us

😛

Nah. Could have had a bit more luck first up. And bowled a fraction fuller.

Stokes has done a great job building a platform, but I'd feel an awful lot better if he showed a few more signs of being able to change gear; required rate is going to get a little too steep for Jos to do on his own

2 minutes ago, maaarsh said:

Stokes has done a great job building a platform, but I'd feel an awful lot better if he showed a few more signs of being able to change gear; required rate is going to get a little too steep for Jos to do on his own

He’s a boundary hitter but it’s tough to do that at Lords.