Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Budget

fatty

1 hour ago, Escobarp said:

That’s not true again is it cheesey? You’re making a habit of this now. 

I’d be interested to see the maths

130,000 nurses (est, prob shite) x 4,000 = 520m x 10 = 5.2bn

+ cost of employment and pensions

But then completely discounting Track and Trace, as it’s paying for nurses increased pay

back of fag packet

And we don’t have to make decisions 

8 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

I’d be interested to see the maths

130,000 nurses (est, prob shite) x 4,000 = 520m x 10 = 5.2bn

+ cost of employment and pensions

But then completely discounting Track and Trace, as it’s paying for nurses increased pay

back of fag packet

And we don’t have to make decisions 

Think there are nearer 300k nurses.

So your 5.2bn, is nearer £13bn. 

28 minutes ago, Ani said:

Think there are nearer 300k nurses.

So your 5.2bn, is nearer £13bn. 

Ta

Edited by boltondiver

In 2007 I was really busy. 15 hour days, 6 days a week.

In that year, I didn’t get a wage rise at all, not even COL, because my business couldn’t afford it. 

Now we cannot afford it, so move on and get on with doing your job,  like the rest of us have had to over the years.

This will be a true test of our Govts backbone.

Thatcher would never have given in to the mounting pressure that will surely come their way.

Sadly, I fear that this lot will though....

Edited by captainmed

• Site Supporter
28 minutes ago, captainmed said:

In that year, I didn’t get a wage rise at all, not even COL, because my business couldn’t afford it. 

Now we cannot afford it, so move on and get on with doing your job,  like the rest of us have had to over the years.

Thatcher would never have given in to the mounting pressure that will surely come their way.

A £35m strike fund has been drawn up.

So much for captain Tom's legacy. 

Unions eh. Wankers at times.

Government does need to stick to its guns; especially as the offered rise is still ahead of current inflation. 

• Site Supporter
11 hours ago, London Wanderer said:

Agree with this.

In my line of work I'd choose an extra member of support staff and reduced class size over a pay rise any day. Priority has to be reducing stress on healthcare workers and higher recruitment. 

Still think they deserved a proper pay rise. Other key workers have been fucking brilliant, but the pressure and burn out experienced by frontline health workers has been next level. Just do it. 

An extra few quid will do Jack all to help ptsd etc.

Put the money into the extra mental health support they need.

Many of them have had a reasonable increment deal over the last few years, which has now run out. A new deal still above inflation isn't that bad, especially during such times.

Its only for one year, and depending upon finances and economic recovery, there may be a bit of wriggle room next year.

Royal College of Nursing tells us that the pay of an experienced nurse has fallen 15.3% in real terms over the past 10 years.

The Government gave Dominic Cummings a 50% pay rise after he defied the pandemic measures, have just spent £340k in an out of court settlement excluding legal fees to protect an incompetent minister and the PM is about to commission a complete redecoration/remodelling of his Downing St squat.

It goes on and on...

Edited by Dimron

22 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

A £35m strike fund has been drawn up.

So much for captain Tom's legacy. 

Unions eh. Wankers at times.

Government does need to stick to its guns; especially as the offered rise is still ahead of current inflation. 

Let them strike. 

“I care about my job and peoples lives. So I’m going to turn my back on them 🧐

We have 'found' £2.5m to revamp the press room at number 10 though so we can have daily press briefings like in the States. 
We have 'found' £16bn to increase the defence budget.

The Govt decides what to spend, yes of course money is tight, but they can not on one hand say the pot is empty and then just find money when it suits. 

Does anyone think HS2 is the right thing to do? 

5 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Let them strike. 

“I care about my job and peoples lives. So I’m going to turn my back on them 🧐

So people get fucked over (underpaid as you say) and then it is down to them when the service goes to shit or they protest ? 
It is a career choice, so if thousands walk away what happens then ? 

These are exceptional times we are told, but there is only room for the vanity projects Boris and the boys want 

1 hour ago, captainmed said:

What did you get paid that year ? It is ok people on £50k plus at current rates saying they did not get a rise, but if are already struggling every penny counts 

Just now, Ani said:

So people get fucked over (underpaid as you say) and then it is down to them when the service goes to shit or they protest ? 
It is a career choice, so if thousands walk away what happens then ? 

These are exceptional times we are told, but there is only room for the vanity projects Boris and the boys want 

People in all walks of life are underpaid. People at the top get paid more than their worth IMO. Striking though? It’s a no from me. 

Cant have it both ways and pull on the heart strings and then walk out for a couple of days

if they all walked permanently then something would need to happen. Supply and demand. Shortage of skilled workers then pay increases. 

if you want to turn it into an argument however then sure someone else will be along to satisfy you soon enough. 

3 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Not at the moment no. But a good transport infrastructure is critical and ours could be better. 

Ok , but we can find the money for that today. HS2 is fundamentally flawed anyway but spending on it whilst claiming we are skint is the posh version on folks on benefits with plasma tellies, smoking 40 a day. 

Just now, Ani said:

Ok , but we can find the money for that today. HS2 is fundamentally flawed anyway but spending on it whilst claiming we are skint is the posh version on folks on benefits with plasma tellies, smoking 40 a day. 

And if they scrap it how long , how many minutes, before the cost invested so far is headline news and that becomes the focus?

and I’ve received 0% pay rise this year. So I’m worse off in real terms. Now where did I put that big sign and my walking boots........

1 minute ago, Escobarp said:

People in all walks of life are underpaid. People at the top get paid more than their worth IMO. Striking though? It’s a no from me. 

Cant have it both ways and pull on the heart strings and then walk out for a couple of days

if they all walked permanently then something would need to happen. Supply and demand. Shortage of skilled workers then pay increases. 

if you want to turn it into an argument however then sure someone else will be along to satisfy you soon enough. 

Just pointing over a different view you big tart 😘

The fact is the Govt make choices on spend , they are choosing to spend elsewhere, so the discussion is not 'we have no money' the discussion is why HS2 , defence increases and refurbish the press suite come first. 
If they do not think the health staff deserve the money say that. 

2 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

And if they scrap it how long , how many minutes, before the cost invested so far is headline news and that becomes the focus?

and I’ve received 0% pay rise this year. So I’m worse off in real terms. Now where did I put that big sign and my walking boots........

Are you underpaid ? 

10 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Many of the freedoms we take for granted today come from strike action. Safer workplaces, workable hours etc.

That's not to say it is always the right thing to do, but it has its place

Edited by London Wanderer

Just now, Ani said:

Are you underpaid ? 

In terms of my own perceived value I believe that I should be paid more absolutely.  And have requested it as part of an opportunity that has come my way this week.

do I struggle financially on what I’m paid? Absolutely not at all. 

did I when I left school and chose to be a mechanic? Yes. Did I when I left that and went to be a van driver ? Yes. Did I struggle massively when I gave up full time work at 22 to go back into education to get my degree? Yes. Did I work 14hour days on all my days off from uni to scrape by? Yes. 

I made a series of choices ani. I didn’t like some so I found a different path. Maybe it’s just me. 

1 minute ago, London Wanderer said:

Many of the freedoms we take for granted today come from strike action. Safer workplaces, workable hours etc.

That's not to say it is always the right thing to do, but it has its place

This is about money. Don’t confuse it with anything else 

2 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

In terms of my own perceived value I believe that I should be paid more absolutely.  And have requested it as part of an opportunity that has come my way this week.

do I struggle financially on what I’m paid? Absolutely not at all. 

did I when I left school and chose to be a mechanic? Yes. Did I when I left that and went to be a van driver ? Yes. Did I struggle massively when I gave up full time work at 22 to go back into education to get my degree? Yes. Did I work 14hour days on all my days off from uni to scrape by? Yes. 

I made a series of choices ani. I didn’t like some so I found a different path. Maybe it’s just me. 

So you think you are underpaid and are taking actions to rectify.

Military personnel get paid more when on active duty , do you think there is a valid case for health care workers to get a one off payment for the last 12 months ? 
You can try and play the uncaring Scrooge like capalist but your actions in other areas clearly show you are a big softie.🤫

so a simple question 'Based on the last 12 months do you think the health care workers deserve some type of real financial bonus for what they have been through?'