Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Atmosphere across Europe

Mounts Kipper

3 hours ago, Underpants said:

Watched the Leicester Vs Warsaw Legia game last night. The Poles made a noise all the way through the game. Even after the game when everyone had gone home. No doubt singing about how tough they are and politics. They also lit hundreds of flares and openly took on the local law enforcement with some good old fashion windmilling. Like most fans on the continent they don't worry about the consequences of their actions because there aren't any. Unlike here were laws have been in place for decades, and now we have dictatorial membership schemes being forced upon us by Kim Jong-Hart. That's why atmospheres have gone down the pan here.

Agreed on the fact that UK fans get punished for relatively slight misdemeanours whereas continental fans don't seem to be restricted by inconvenient things like laws.  But I'm not sure about atmospheres going down the pan.  Some matches have great atmospheres here, many don't.  It was always the case.  The noise some fans have made at the Unibol and other grounds in recent years has been huge.  And there are raucous occasions at Anfield, OT, Spurs, Leeds, Wolves, Sheff U, Palace to name a few.  I've been watching for long enough and I'm unsure when these halycon days of great noise were.  The one thing that we've lost is great FA Cup atmospheres because nobody cares any more, but that's a different topic, league games were never any better than they are now (see any old episodes of Big Match Revisited for eg).