Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Atmosphere across Europe

Mounts Kipper

8 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Currently watching the Brondby v Rangers game and the stadium is bouncing, seems similar right across Europe but when I watch UK games the atmosphere isn’t comparable it seems to me we’ve lost something, we were once the most passionate fans here in the UK and now we are nowhere near. 

Agree... Palace give it a good go but get ridiculed for it.

15 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Currently watching the Brondby v Rangers game and the stadium is bouncing, seems similar right across Europe but when I watch UK games the atmosphere isn’t comparable it seems to me we’ve lost something, we were once the most passionate fans here in the UK and now we are nowhere near. 

It's been like that for yonks really hasn't it? Notice how many of the European ultras have UK or England  flags amongst their masses, they idolise our "original" scene.

The rise of the ultra scene in France is really interesting and worth keeping an eye on. Always had ultra groups but there's a game-stopping incident every weekend at the moment.

My guess:

All seater stadiums

A higher proportion of tourists at the big clubs

A concerted effort (at least in the Premier League) to attract families and middle class supporters

The money in the sport making it more predictable (if you support a big club, for example, how can you get excited every week when you know your team is very likely to win most of the time?)

Better policing

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

My guess:

All seater stadiums

A higher proportion of tourists at the big clubs

A concerted effort (at least in the Premier League) to attract families and middle class supporters

The money in the sport making it more predictable (if you support a big club, for example, how can you get excited every week when you know your team is very likely to win most of the time?)

Better policing

To be hoped they don’t ask our club experts to help them  introduce a membership scheme then.

2 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Was it ever that passionate here?  We talk about the atmosphere in the 70s and 80s, and yes there was the Kop and Stretford End singing songs, but it was never anything like the European clubs intimidating noise (intimidating in the streets around the ground here, that's a different story).  Watching the old stuff that gets replayed on TV, most crowds were much smaller than today and the atmosphere was often none existent.  

Edited by Johnnyrotten

Taylor report, Thatcher waging war on football and then a concerted effort by the Premier league to sanitise the game and change the audience.. Not saying that's right or wrong, crowds massively increased from the 80s..I wish though that I could find it but there's a speech by a German MP criticising the Taylor report and saying how they must never do that to the culture of football over there, something about football is the only place where people mix from all different walks of life.. I'm not saying its wrong or right but any football related disorder here is turned into the equivalent of a military coup in the press. I had mates saying to me I heard there was a riot at Wigan v Bolton. Whenever clubs put on attempts to help the atmosphere its inevitable that'll be fucking drums..

• Members
11 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Corporate greed

All seater stadiums 

OB overreaction presence.

Murdering scousers 

• Site Supporter
42 minutes ago, Take Hunt Off said:

Woke is woke it’s not left & it’s not right (no pun intended) it’s actually neo-liberal in origin .They have taken over most organisations & been at it for a while.

Wherever it started, I'd say it's largely the preserve of the left now.

• Site Supporter
18 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Not comparable really is it? European Cup vs League 2... And all the "big" teams in England have become tourist attractions... It is what it is. They've got to appeal to the masses, rather than a few thousand lunatics.

There's nothing stopping you from trying to "create an atmosphere" at Bolton games. Although you'd probably get put on youtube and be widely mocked.

Edited by Cheese

• Site Supporter

It's a different world from the times when our grounds were bouncing.

All seater stadiums.

Sky (and others). There's no mystery or anticipation looking forward to seeing a good side when you can see them on TV every week.

Ticket prices. Corporate customers. Private boxes.

Grounds being on retail estates.

I find the atmosphere on the continent to be pretty monotonous, personally. Just a constant drone rather than being up and down relating to what's happening on the field.

I expect they probably watch YouTube videos of #limbs from away crowds over here and wonder why they can't replicate it.

• Site Supporter

Blaming shit atmospheres in football stadiums on “the woke” is possibly the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever read on here, and I read everything Bolty posts.

Fucking hell 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Anyway, things haven’t changed that much IMO. We remember Burnden for the big games but there were afternoons and evening when the place was like a library after the third minute.

In Europe, the “atmosphere” is generated by a couple thousand ultras with distress flares, which are treated in the UK like suicide vests. They just leave them to it in Europe.

The scousers fucked things up for many years, the utter cunts, but our “top lads” have had years to catch up. As it is, only Crystal Palace’s group of (mainly immigrant) ultras is attempting anything.

Doing it under the stands at half time with smoke bombs is missing the point a little…