Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

First World Cup

pike_mill_white

I have a few fleeting memories of 1970 but my first real memories were of 74 when Scotland had a class team but got knocked out despite being undefeated. Bremner Lorimer Jordan and Co were a class team but we didn't score enough against the whipping boys of Zaire in a 2-0 win, so we went home on goal difference. I was 10 then.

In the first World Cup I can remember in '82 England didn't lose a game as well, despite having the lumbering Phil Thompson and Paul Mariner in the team.

78 kempes and ticker tape

and black & white pictures

it was colour by then

remember not long before england played a friendly in argentina and that was black and white

trevor cherry sent off

all the pictures sent by argies where b/w up until final

• Moderators

it was colour by then

remember not long before england played a friendly in argentina and that was black and white

trevor cherry sent off

think yer dad was having you on

i watched it all in colour

it was colour by then

trevor cherry sent off

think yer dad was having you on

i watched it all in colour

Me too :D

• Members

Like Gubbins, I was 12 in '66 and remember all of it. Top class with Brazil training at Bromwich St.

First memories though are of the Battle of Santiago (Italy v Chile). My first exposure to the throat high tackle. If you ain't seen it, try and find the footage. All Italians are cheats and bastuds (Brian Clough).

bits of 1986 for me was 8 at the time :-$ first proper world cup would have been 1990 was in greece at the time on holiday 1st trip abroad

• Site Supporter
1970 for me. Was ten at the time. Was gutted when Germany turned around a 2-0 lead in the QF. Then me dad sent me to evening mass on the night of the final because i'd not been that day, so i missed the first hour of the game, had no truck with religion since.

"Let it be a lesson though", Jesus said unto his disciples, "That thouest must go to thy place of worship in a manner to avoid missing out on later cup games."

Luke 13:4

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.