Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Cheltenham Festival 2011

rochdale white

I'm off to Cheltenham Festival for the first time this year, I'm doing the Tuesday-Champion Hurdle Day- and Wednesday- Queen Mother Chase/Ladies Day!

Anyway, I was wondering if any of you on here have been and if you could offer any decent advice on what to expect, anything I should know in advance and also where is best to head to after the day's racing has finished.

I am staying in Stroud- half hour away on the train from Cheltenham I am told- accommodation in Cheltenham was a fortune. We are in the Tattersalls stand for the two days of racing.

Finally, anyone got any strong opinions/antepost on any races? It doesn't have to be just for the two days I am going, I am interested in people's views for across the four days.

At the minute I am looking into backing Peddlers Cross for Champion Hurdle, Denman for Gold Cup, Big Zeb for Champion Chase and Medermit for the Arkle. I also like Wymott and Wishfull Thinking for the RSA with each way bets.

Thoughts?

I'm a big Denman fan, but not sure I'd be backing him any more.

He should have been retired at least at year ago. Quite a bit of how he performs will depend on who rides him. McCoy just doesn't "get" him and doesn't win on him.

Otherwise, I, personally, won't even look at Chelters until the end of this month at the earliest.

I'm a big Denman fan, but not sure I'd be backing him any more.

He should have been retired at least at year ago. Quite a bit of how he performs will depend on who rides him. McCoy just doesn't "get" him and doesn't win on him.

Think that's harsh on McCoy AND Denman.

AP has only ridden Denman last season - he fell whilst in the process of hosing up at Newbury and ran a poor race at Punchestown, but his second in the Gold Cup was a decent effort given that there have only been two ten year old winners of the race in the last twenty years. I don't see how you can as good as say a horse is finished in one breath and then blame a jockey for its shortcomings in the next.

I'd say Denman's third under a ton weight for Sam Thomas in the Hennessy suggests he can still be competitive at the highest level.

That said, Long Run has to go to the Gold Cup with a big chance. Third in the RSA as a five year old last year and a good third under a fair weight in the Paddy Power this, his King George win puts him in with a hell of a shout, even if Cheltenham does take more jumping than Kempton.

What the hell has happened to Weapon's Amnesty?

I wasn't intending to be harsh at all, EG.

McCoy is undoubtedly one of (if not) the greatest jockeys of all time. I just don't think he gets the best out of this particular great horse: that's not a criticism of either: it's just how I feel.

As for Denman, I think he should have been retired at the top of his game: that's all. He's a superb competitor and that Hennessey run was indeed fantastic. I also think that Sam Thomas had a fair bit to do with that, though. ST has rode the horse so often, they seem to click together.

So, I'm not saying Denman's finished at all, I'd have just liked to see him retire at the top. He'll give his usual gutsy battling performance at Cheltenham, of course, but I just wouldn't like to see him struggle. Nor was I suggesting that AP was to blame for Denman not being as good as he was.

Long Run is a very good shout for the race, and we may well get one of the best Gold Cup races in history, with Kauto Star, Denman and Imperial Commander all taking on Long Run.

As for Weapon's Amnesty, I'm sure he sustained a fairly serious injury whilst winning last year's RSA chase and hasn't even been back to training yet since then.

I fancy Denman's chances because on his day and with the right man on board his jumping is phenomenal. His performance in the hennessy as you have said was brilliant and at level weights would surely have beaten Diamond Harry. He is miles better left handed and loves going fresh, I think he offers the best value at the minute in my opinion.

as for the cheltenham experience..i went once and never got into it, was taken as a guest but only me and one other bloke who drove, the racing is good quality but could nt see much and queues at the bars were silly.

with a group of you stopping over imagine will be a lot better, loads of pubs in cheltenham do breakfast so start early and top up.

Edited by Ani

• 4 weeks later...

Tuesday:

1.30: Cue Card should win this, but I like the look of Zaidpour as an E/W alternative (10/1 with bet365 paying 4 places)

2.05: Captain Chris (8/1 E/W most places) WON :yahoo:

2.40: Carole's Legacy (16/1 E/W with Boyles, BlueSq & Stan James al paying 4 places OR 14/1 E/W with Skybet & Paddy Power paying 5 places.) a very gutsy 2nd :good:

3.20: Oscar Whisky (9/1 E/W Totesport & Stan James)3rd :thumbsup:

4.00: Garde Champetre will deservedly go off as favourite, but doesn't seem to be as far clear of the field as normal. My E/W punt would be on last year's winner A New Story (11/1 Sporting Bet)3rd :thumbsup:

4.40: Quevega looks almost certain to take this for a 3rd successive yesr, but who wants to be backing odds on shots at Cheltenham? I think Banjaxed Girl has decent E/W claims at 14/1.

5.15: I do like the look of the favourite Definity, but my E/W bet would be Swing Bill at 16/1.

I've tried to avoid the favourites and look for a bit of value lower down the market. I'd take the prices as Best Odds Guaranteed, so that you get the longer price if they drift, which many might!

Edited by Traf

1.30 As ever I agree with Traf,cue card does look a good thing but the same thing was said of Dunguib 12 months ago and that flopped,I like the look of SPRINTER SACRE.(9/1)3RDjust found this on a website "Recent form is crucial to finding winners of this race, 12 of the last 14 winners had all won last time out and 10 of the last 11 had ran in the previous 45 days",the other 1 I like the look of is RECESSION PROOF (9/1).5TH :aggressive:

2.05 Ghizao beat Captain Chris at this course and also at Newbury and is the only course and distance winner in the race.FINNIANS RAINBOW(4/1) 2NDwasnt impressive when he beat Stagecoach Pearl but with Geraghty on board he would be the 1 id pick.AP McCoy rides ROCK NOIR (12/1)8TH possible each way claims.

2.40 BENSALEM (6/1) FIRSTwas my pick for this last year and would have surely won if he had stayed upright,hes potentially well handicapped again so would be my pick.Last years winner CHIEF DAN GEORGE is carrying 6LB more but is available at (20/1)5TH.Geraghty rides Caroles legacy which Traf has picked.

3.20 MENORAH (7/2)5TH is my pick having beaten DUNGUIB and OSCAR WHISKEY last year,PEDDLERS CROSS (9/2)2ND would be my idea of the danger,hopefully this will be the best race of the day with a very tight finish.

4.00 GARDE CHAMPETRE(9/2)2ND is quality.each way choices would be KING JOHNS CASTLE (20/1)N/R and LORD NELLERIE (25/1).10TH

4.40 SANTERA (33/1) and SILVER GYPSY (25/1)8TH AND LAST !

5.15 OSRIC (25/1) ON BORROWED WINGS (9/1) TULLAMORE DEW (7/1)3RD,8TH AND PU

Ive used Ladbrokes prices,good luck !

Edited by djorkaeff